Video demonstrates reported iPhone 6 Plus bending issues

Comments

• Reply 421 of 543

I predict an upsurge in the popularity of cargo pants this fashion season.

• Reply 422 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

The area of weakness is in the head of the owner. Sitting with it in your pocket is not normal use. The owner has to change his or her behavior to fit the new form factor, just like with the double glass surfaces of the 4/4S, which were more likely to break when dropped or sat on. It's no different with this expanse of flat aluminum.

You seem to think that they could easily merge a fix for this bogus "issue" in the middle of production. I don't think you have the slightest ability to imagine what a redesign of the case would involve. I suggest you stop posting about this until you've thought it through. If that never can be accomplished, so be it.

Well as long as you consider it a bogus issue then it must be bogus. Most men carry a phone in their pocket Unless you're going to invest in a man purse. 

• Reply 423 of 543
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    hpod wrote: »
    Seems to be the strongest in drop tests, but the weakest when it comes to bend tests (though these are a new concept since Apple is involved). I'd be interested to see if other aluminum phones bend just as easily?

Time will tell if the phone is truly that fragile that it warps/bends from normal use.  IF that is the case, it's not acceptable quality control.
    Nobody is arguing that bending under normal use is acceptable. But this video clearly wasn't normal use.
  • Reply 424 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post

I predict an upsurge in the popularity of cargo pants this fashion season.

Apple has a few fashion people on board.

"Introducing the new ApplePants collection!"

• Reply 425 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Ok, don't be so naive. Add fraud to your internal database of things that actually happen and affect your investments.

Open Numbers file of "things that actual happen"...add new row below last entry...type in "Fraud"

Gee, thanks watterrockets! Glad your here to help...I'd be lost today without your "real-world" wisdom.

• Reply 426 of 543
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

Well as long as you consider it a bogus issue then it must be bogus. Most men carry a phone in their pocket Unless you're going to invest in a man purse. 

Yep. I'm sitting with a Nexus 4 in my front pocket now and a work-issued blackberry in my back pocket. Both have survived in this environment for 2+ years, as would past iPhones.

• Reply 427 of 543
    Quote:

I've never had an iPhone bend ever. There has never been a wide spread reported issue with any other iPhone bending. You need to just accept this is logical. Apple makes a phone really thin. They change the overall design and then make a phone with a very large service area that is flat with no cure at all. They then put a very large battery in it that is flexible leaving a large area of aluminum with very little support. 

To the best of my knowledge this isn't being reported with the 4.7 version. It isn't some unforgivable sin that this phone may have an unforeseen weak area that needs to be address and fixed. For those that put a protective case on the phone this may never been an issue because in most cased it will make the phone more rigged. 

I also find it hypocritical for members of this forum to beat up on Samsung and then try to see if the same thing is happening to Samsung phones. If Samsung is shit and Apple is premium then it shouldn't matter if it is happening on a Samsung phone. The sad part based on the video posted in this thread it isn't happening to Samsung Note phones. 

I have a 6 plus as well and I wear my pants so tight you can see my calfs in them. I have zero bend in my 6 plus and I've had it in my pockets on the train ride home repeatedly. One guy reported it on a video that is suspect. Then he struggles to get it to bend at all even after it is supposedly already "compromised through normal use". Hmmmmm.... I was thinking this could be an issue with the others until I saw the video. I'm not buying into the hype yet. Sorry. 

• Reply 428 of 543
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I have a 6 plus as well and I wear my pants so tight you can see my calfs in them. I have zero bend in my 6 plus and I've had it in my pockets on the train ride home repeatedly. One guy reported it on a video that is suspect. Then he struggles to get it to bend at all even after it is supposedly already "compromised through normal use". Hmmmmm.... I was thinking this could be an issue with the others until I saw the video. I'm not buying into the hype yet. Sorry. 

TMI!

(calfs??)

• Reply 429 of 543
    I think Apple either didn't bother to heat-treat the Aluminum, or simply under-estimated what the average user will subject the frame to. There are a plethora of reports on bent iPhone 6+ AND iPhone 6's being bent from simply placing the phone in your front pocket.

If the aluminum case were heat-treated to T6 or T7 specs, the case would be more than adequate "as-is". This is the level of heat treating used by the AR15/M-16 rifle. Try to bend an aluminum magazine that has been hardened to T6 or T7 levels. This aluminum is so hard, it requires specialized drill bits to cut it.
  • Reply 430 of 543

Well..   if all smart phones bend and the larger smart phones are even more prone to bending when improperly handled, than there is no issue here.  This is a case of an abuse.  I've never bent anything in my front jean pocket because when there is something obstructing in the pocket while sitting down, I would either readjust the position or pull it out of the my pocket.  

These careless users should get a training how to sit properly with objects in their pockets.  Use a knife blade as a training object.  I'm sure they will learn very quickly what not to do.

It's really hard to idiot-proof a product.  However, companies can definitely cover their butts from self inflicting product damage by providing an instruction booklet of "what not to do".  

• Reply 431 of 543

Can't be turned down if you have Applecare +. 

That’s fine, but after $160 and two replacements when you bend it again, enjoy paying full price to make up for your mistreatment.

• Reply 432 of 543
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    arlor wrote: »
    People keep saying this but where else are you supposed to keep it? Pardon my lack of imagination...

I have a 5" Nexus 5 now that fits into the front pocket of my dress pants or generic Gap/Land's End/Eddie Bauer-style khakis just fine, with room to spare. It seems like a 5.5" phone ought to fit, too. But I guess if you wear skinny jeans or want to keep your phone in your back pocket (which I've never understood -- you're just begging to drop it, sit on it, or have it stolen then), it might be a problem. 

Women's pants often only have "decorative pockets", even some cargo pants. If you can fit a phone into one, you'll certainly damage the phone, I don't care how bendable it's supposed to be.

Men's pants have real pockets, but the inside of the pants usually just let the pocket hang out, so it will repeatedly get metal fatigue stress as you repeatedly bump it around while walking. Worse if you put it in the rear pockets, where sitting on it is guaranteed to damage it. When Motorola came out with the RAZR's, guess how many were getting broken because people sat on them? LOTS.

I for one don't care for the "thinner, lighter, larger" process. I want something that is no bigger than a 3DS. The 3DS is just the right weight and size to fit in a pocket without being damaged. The XL model is too big, and looks more pixelated. This is how I see the problem with the iPhone 6 and 6+
  • Reply 433 of 543
    atlapple wrote: »

Maybe someone should tell him you can put a 1.00 pencil in your pocket and it doesn't bend. It's amazing the length people will go to excuse something like this. 

Interesting how many trolls here have joined in the past year.
  • Reply 434 of 543

This is not a problem unless Apple refuse to replace those phones.  If I would get a bend phone because it was in my front pocket (which is normal use) I would be pretty pissed.

• Reply 435 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That’s fine, but after $160 and two replacements when you bend it again, enjoy paying full price to make up for your mistreatment.

I think you dont have to pay anything to replace a bend phone. A phone bending in a front pocket is abnormal, its like a defective product.

• Reply 436 of 543
    Guess what, if I buy a brand new wooden mop, place it between two chairs and jump onto the middle of it what the f*** would happen.
    Um, ah, wow this is really really hard! I know, the mofo will break! Hello!
    I should get a common sense degree from Harvard U!
    Currently I'm loving my iPhone 6(non plus). Amazing phone!
  • Reply 437 of 543
    herbapou wrote: »
    This is not a problem unless Apple refuse to replace those phones.  If I would get a bend phone because it was in my front pocket (which is normal use) I would be pretty pissed.

It's "normal" to shove a massive phone into a small front pocket? Normal?
  • Reply 438 of 543
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I think you dont have to pay anything to replace a bend phone. A phone bending in a front pocket is abnormal, its like a defective product.

No, not in the slightest. It’s accidental damage, which is a paid repair.

• Reply 439 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, not in the slightest. It’s accidental damage, which is a paid repair.

I dont agree at all, a product that can't withstand normal use is defective.

• Reply 440 of 543
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I dont agree at all, a product that can't withstand normal use is defective.

It isn’t normal use to BEND YOUR PHONE.