Apple announces 'AirDrop Test Fest' to flush out issues ahead of OS X 10.10 Yosemite release

Posted:
in macOS edited September 2014
In a note sent out to developers on Wednesday, Apple invited AppleSeed members to participate in a "test fest" focusing on AirDrop functionality in OS X 10.10 Yosemite, which bakes in compatibility with devices running iOS 8.

Apple usually restricts test fest activities to internal teams working on upcoming OS X software, but has decided to bring AppleSeed developers into the fold in preparation of OS X Yosemite's launch this fall.

According to the letter, the company has set up a special discussion topic to handle observations and test results, as well as a survey created to guide developers in specific feature testing. The directed focus suggests there are areas of concern that need to be ironed out before the final Yosemite build is released to the public. The survey is available through Feedback Assistant.

Finally, to help flag issues, those opting in to the test fest will be provided with information regarding the correct way to write up AirDrop bug reports.

AirDrop is one of Yosemite's tentpole features and offers users the ability to quickly transfer files and media between OS X and iOS platforms without taking extra steps like sending content through email. Like iOS 7 and OS X 10.9 Mavericks implementations, the next-gen AirDrop iteration still uses Wi-Fi connectivity to ferry data back and forth, but adds in Bluetooth 4.0 for quick device discovery

When accessed from Control Center in iOS 8, AirDrop automatically gathers a list of nearby machines -- including Mac running Yosemite -- with which content can be shared. The desktop version also has a dedicated Finder window to transport files from Mac to iPhone or iPad.

AppleSeed members are already taking part in the AirDrop Test Fest, which started at 12 p.m. Pacific today and is scheduled to run through Sunday, Sept. 28.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    Can't wait for Yosemite
  • Reply 2 of 35
    Apple needs to step up their QA, that much is certain. Today's iOS bug is unacceptable.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Apple needs to step up their QA, that much is certain. Today's iOS bug is unacceptable.

While I agree that the iOS 8 update issue today was not acceptable.  This was a story about AirDrop and Yosemite..  Is it really necessary to bring in an unrelated story in to the comments on this one?  It does not serve anyone or make any difference in the resolution of that issue.  It also makes it harder for people to discuss the merits of this story and it's subject.

• Reply 4 of 35
    rorwessels wrote: »

While I agree that the iOS 8 update issue today was not acceptable.  This was a story about AirDrop and Yosemite..  Is it really necessary to bring in an unrelated story in to the comments on this one?  It does not serve anyone or make any difference in the resolution of that issue.  It also makes it harder for people to discuss the merits of this story and it's subject.

I was insinuating that this was a step in the right direction (though I doubt they made it just today). Apple's releases have been getting slowly buggier across the board for the last few years, it's not just iOS.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    Quote:

I was insinuating that this was a step in the right direction (though I doubt they made it just today). Apple's releases have been getting slowly buggier across the board for the last few years, it's not just iOS.

I understand your statement, even if I do not agree with it.  I have used many versions of Mac OS X and I can tell you that while the nature of the bugs has changed, the frequency and number of them may have actually gone down.  The simple fact is most people never used Apple software or hardware before the iPhone.  Apple has been working like crazy to bring more and more functionality to the mobile space.  With increased functionality comes increased complexity, and the ever larger chance for a bug to effect larger numbers of people.  It's not an excuse, but it is a fact in IT.  As I have stated many times today, a bug such as the one we saw today is unacceptable.  I suspect that Apple thinks so as well as they pulled the update almost as soon as confirmed cases where reported.  It's unacceptable that it somehow slipped through QA.  For that I have no answer.  I do know that when comparing iOS to Android and Windows Phone (of which I have all three in active use) I find that iOS and my Apple devices are actually far less buggy or prone to issues.  Also, when an issue is identified, it seems to get fixed a lot faster.  I am just asking for some perspective here on these blaring headlines.  For AI to have a bright red tag next to the headline about this smacks of click baiting.  Even if the intent was to warn potential updaters ahead of time.  I am giving them the benefit of the doubt there.  I am still waiting for bug fixes and updates for my Galaxy S4 and my Lumia 1520.  I know I will not seem them soon or at all as the carriers are in control of when the updates go out and the OEMs don't seem to really care because the hardware is over a few months old now.  Again, perspective matters here.

• Reply 6 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    dugbug wrote: »
    Can't wait for Yosemite

The dev beta is so stable I am now running it on all my Macs it's gorgeous. You will love it.
  • Reply 7 of 35

Are there any restrictions on the types of files that AirDrop supports? For example if I want to share an MKV will it let me?

• Reply 8 of 35
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member

I understand your statement, even if I do not agree with it.  I have used many versions of Mac OS X and I can tell you that while the nature of the bugs has changed, the frequency and number of them may have actually gone down.  The simple fact is most people never used Apple software or hardware before the iPhone.  Apple has been working like crazy to bring more and more functionality to the mobile space.  With increased functionality comes increased complexity, and the ever larger chance for a bug to effect larger numbers of people.  It's not an excuse, but it is a fact in IT.  As I have stated many times today, a bug such as the one we saw today is unacceptable.  I suspect that Apple thinks so as well as they pulled the update almost as soon as confirmed cases where reported.  It's unacceptable that it somehow slipped through QA.  For that I have no answer.  I do know that when comparing iOS to Android and Windows Phone (of which I have all three in active use) I find that iOS and my Apple devices are actually far less buggy or prone to issues.  Also, when an issue is identified, it seems to get fixed a lot faster.  I am just asking for some perspective here on these blaring headlines.  For AI to have a bright red tag next to the headline about this smacks of click baiting.  Even if the intent was to warn potential updaters ahead of time.  I am giving them the benefit of the doubt there.  I am still waiting for bug fixes and updates for my Galaxy S4 and my Lumia 1520.  I know I will not seem them soon or at all as the carriers are in control of when the updates go out and the OEMs don't seem to really care because the hardware is over a few months old now.  Again, perspective matters here.

What update for the 1520 are you waiting on? Cyan/8.1 is available for that unit, and has been for a while
  • Reply 9 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Quit flogging your pud so much. Have you EVER taken the time research previous software launches? Mavericks, for example, has been one of the best OS X releases in history. Very few issues that were anywhere close to widespread. You have absolutely NO evidence that Apple’s QA has been “getting slowly buggier” other than your own faulty memory. You do a disservice to fellow users by touting this utter nonsense.

• Reply 10 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Are there any restrictions on the types of files that AirDrop supports? For example if I want to share an MKV will it let me?

As far as I know there are no file size or type restrictions on AirDrop.  However, this may be different when it comes to the iPhone / iPad as these devices only support a more limited number of file types.  AirDrop from Mac to Mac though should have no such restrictions.  I think when this is combined with iCloud Drive the combination should handle most any situation a user would have when transferring files between people or machines.

• Reply 11 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

What update for the 1520 are you waiting on? Cyan/8.1 is available for that unit, and has been for a while

And as a result of that update there are quite a few documented little bugs.  Most will be fixed in Denim, an update I and others are now anxiously waiting for.

• Reply 12 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Since it’s unacceptable to you what do you plan to do about it? Sue Apple? Switch platforms? Get on your soapbox? 

• Reply 13 of 35
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member

And as a result of that update there are quite a few documented little bugs.  Most will be fixed in Denim, an update I and others are now anxiously waiting for.

Firmware issue, or WP issue? If it is a WP issue, just join the developer program and update it to the latest version yourself, there was another update today, and they are stable.

Also, what issues in particular?
  • Reply 14 of 35

I trust that Yosemite and 10.10.1 (should that be 11.1?) won't break wifi and render all our Keychain passwords corrupt and unusable...

• Reply 15 of 35

Be thankful they have quality SQA. The lack of SQA in the Linux community is considered a pillar in the FOSS community.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    lkrupp wrote: »

Quit flogging your pud so much. Have you EVER taken the time research previous software launches? Mavericks, for example, has been one of the best OS X releases in history. Very few issues that were anywhere close to widespread. You have absolutely NO evidence that Apple’s QA has been “getting slowly buggier” other than your own faulty memory. You do a disservice to fellow users by touting this utter nonsense.

When a D student doesn't do quality work, the teacher just shrugs. When the A student doesn't do quality work, the teacher usually expects an explanation and shows disappointment.

7.1.1 was buggy for many. 7.1.2 was buggy for many. 8.0 being buggy is somewhat expected. But to have multiple phone-breaking bugs get through in 8.0.1 is just crap. It's not like it affected two devices, this appears to have affected just about everyone who downloaded it. Did no one at Apple or the carriers even bother to check it?

I call Apple out because I expect better. This is JV crap. App crashes are one thing. Breaking the phone is another. Obviously breaking a Mac is rarer, but just recently they pushed out an EFI update that...surprise surprise, bricked a bunch of MBA's.

We're fine if things take a little longer, if it means things are properly tested.
  • Reply 17 of 35

It would be great if Apple stopped pretending like no other computers in the world existed.  AirDrop doesn't work with Android, Unix, Linux, Windows, home network devices, or older MacOS.  iPhones don't even come with the lowest common denominator of Bluetooth File sharing.   It's a complete reversal from the early days of MacOS X when easy interoperability was the big selling point.

• Reply 18 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin McMurtrie View Post

It would be great if Apple stopped pretending like no other computers in the world existed.  AirDrop doesn't work with Android, Unix, Linux, Windows, home network devices, or older MacOS.  iPhones don't even come with the lowest common denominator of Bluetooth File sharing.   It's a complete reversal from the early days of MacOS X when easy interoperability was the big selling point.

If you just want Bluetooth file transfer, there are apps for that.

• Reply 19 of 35

I think the main issue is only very recent computers have Bluetooth 4.0

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/17/yosemite-handoff-bluetooth-le/

So, most of the Mac installed base can't use THE Yosemite tent-pole continuity feature (Handoff, SMS, phone calls, Instant Hotspot, Airdrop, etc).

For such computers, perhaps Apple could make continuity work with regular bluetooth or wi-fi? 

or by requiring a Bluetooth 4.0 dongle  (http://amzn.to/1n8O1rE)? 

However, currently, such dongle has only limited success (allows phone calls, but not hand off etc).

Hopefully, after feedback from enough developers, this issue is resolved.

• Reply 20 of 35
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevin McMurtrie View Post

I'm sorry, but how the **** would Airdrop work across all devices when it requires BT4.0, as well as P2P wifi, not to mention software? Bluetooth file sharing, really? Are back in 1998? iPhones don't support floppy drives either. And last I checked, OSX is more interoperable than it ever has been. And iOS is more flexible and extensible than it ever has been. 

Beyond that, your premise is idiotic. Apple is in the business of selling hardware. It does not benefit from providing their services and software on other platforms. Google does. That's the difference. If Apple transitioned to a ad company, then that premise would make more sense. But they're not, and they wont. Apple is doing the right thing, which is leveraging the fact that they control both hardware and software, and making the lives of those who own multiple Apple products more convenient. It does not owe anyone else anything. Do you really want Apple spending its resources testing shit on 78,920 Android Devices?