Adapting to change: a review of Apple's larger 4.7-inch iPhone 6 vs. the smaller 4-inch iPhone 5s

Comments

• Reply 21 of 281
    Great review. I had to return my iPhone 6 because it was way too large. Very strange that Apple didn't offer a 4-inch iPhone 6. It's not normally in Apple's DNA to copy Samsung's product line, and it's also shocking that Apple would turn its back on all its customers who loved the iPhone specifically because of its size. I want an A8 processor in a 4-inch size. This goes to show that Tim Cook's instincts are wildly out of sync with what Steve Jobs' instincts were. Steve led the tech industry, whereas Tim just blindly follows the competition. Truly sad.
  • Reply 22 of 281
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I must admit I was surprised when Apple made both new phones bigger. I expected one but not both.
  • Reply 23 of 281
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I must admit I was surprised when Apple made both new phones bigger. I expected one but not both.

It seemed a little desperate I agree but appears to have worked out splendidly. Tim Cook must hire great poll takers.

• Reply 24 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

It seemed a little desperate I agree but appears to have worked out splendidly. Tim Cook must hire great poll takers.

Too soon to know in my opinion. We will know in a year, when the iPhone 7 has 3 sizes or 2.

• Reply 25 of 281
    http://stratechery.com/2014/now-apple-watch/

Recalling the long term move towards personal and as an aside mobile as its surrogate seeing the desktop to laptop to tablet, to smartphone, and now wearable phase 1 watch, the expectation is wearable watch will take the place of the smallest personal devices (2-3 years) and a new order of personal will evolve.

Wearable (watch)
    IPhones
    iPads,
    laptops,
    desktops,
    TVs

Will appear. Not everyone will have all of these, but expect more than one from personal to family. Standby for a lot of change.
  • Reply 26 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Too soon to know in my opinion. We will know in a year, when the iPhone 7 has 3 sizes or 2.

... and if one of the 2 sizes isn't 5.5.

• Reply 27 of 281
    Yea, maybe next year apple could introduce a iPhone 6s Minus that is 4.2 size. That would be the one I will replace my 6 with in a heart beat.
  • Reply 28 of 281

The Chinese market (and asian in general) surely played a role in deciding to introduce the 6 Plus. However considering the great sales of the 5S in China and Japan (and everywhere else), it certainly would have been very interesting to have:

- a refreshed 4" iPhone 6 with the newer tech, etc.

- a 4.7" 6 Plus - possibly a touch thicker to fit in a slightly larger battery and OIS

I wouldn't be surprised if sales were something like 35:65 between the 4" and 4.7" version. And there would be very little sadness that there was no 5.5" version.

My wife is enjoying her 4.7" iPhone 6, but it's the first time we absolutely had to get a case as it was a touch slippery and hard for a smaller hand to hold securely in one hand.

• Reply 29 of 281
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Pack 6 or 6 Plus capabilities into the 5s size and I'll be a customer. With at least 64gb memory, please.
  • Reply 30 of 281
    Thanks for the honest insight.
    Much appreciated.
  • Reply 31 of 281
    As usual, a remarkable piece by Neil Hughes.
    'nuff said.
  • Reply 32 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mubaili View Post

Yea, maybe next year apple could introduce a iPhone 6s Minus that is 4.2 size. That would be the one I will replace my 6 with in a heart beat.

You jest with the name but I think an iPhone mini really could happen. Apple will be gathering stats right now, watching who is and who is not buying the new models. I wonder if they might see a drop off in sales to female customers and that might lead to the introduction of a mini.

• Reply 33 of 281
    well written article, and one that is necessary

I find myself already feeling lament for my 4S (passed on the 5S due mainly for the lack of 128GB) and was super excited with all the new features of the 6, but after dealing with it for a little while i miss the simplicity of it's smaller form factor, it was easier to get amazing shots on the fly, it became instinctual, now for the first time I am kinda forced to buy a case

I babied my 4S, the apple store employable who examined it was very surprised how good condition it was, here though it's awkward to hold the 6, it just feels like it's gonna slip right out of my hands. And after this switch i even miss the glass back of the 4S, it had better grip then this aluminum back, which makes the issue worse, at least with a case (leather or silicone or whatever it may be) it will be more secure in my hands

I am hoping future phones either trim the bezel more to help reduce the width which could help, even a millimeter or two could make it a little easier one handed, or perhaps have the 4" size range brought up to modern spec with NFC, the latest chips and the rest
  • Reply 34 of 281
    gprovida wrote: »
    http://stratechery.com/2014/now-apple-watch/

Recalling the long term move towards personal and as an aside mobile as its surrogate seeing the desktop to laptop to tablet, to smartphone, and now wearable phase 1 watch, the expectation is wearable watch will take the place of the smallest personal devices (2-3 years) and a new order of personal will evolve.

Wearable (watch)
    IPhones
    iPads,
    laptops,
    desktops,
    TVs

Will appear. Not everyone will have all of these, but expect more than one from personal to family. Standby for a lot of change.

Agreed, that was an excellent article. If and when the Watch takes off, I see (for as long as the Watch isnt truly independent) the Plus becoming the flagship iPhone and the smaller sizes going away entirely, or at least not being a priority.

Overall, I plan to buy the Watch even though I know it will improve so rapidly that the original will seem quaint in a few years time. There's just so much potential there.
  • Reply 35 of 281
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    I agree 1000%.
    He iPhone 6 is too big for me. I may still get one because I feel the need to have the latest as a developer. I wish apple had updated the 5s with nfc to support apple pay. I would have bought that phone for sure. I don't need the big size. I have an iPad and MacBook. I want something for portability. The iPhone 5 is a great size for me. I can clearly see plenty. The bigger screen of the iPhone 6 doesn't change visibility that much for me, but it does make it much more awkward to use and carry.
  • Reply 36 of 281

I've always said it's the OS and, to some degree, the ecosystem.

To believe otherwise is to deny Apple's overall success with 4" phones in a sea of phablets.

It's almost like Tim Cook lost confidence in his OS and went chasing after something that wasn't really necessary. (I'm talking about the 6+... I really really like the choice of the 6/4.7).

In my opinion Apple could have sold as many (or maybe even more) phones with an updated 4" and new 4.7".

It's the OS...

• Reply 37 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

The masses for the first time dictated to Apple what to produce and not the other way around- hardly innovative and yes a mistake.

A souped up 5S would indeed be welcomed. Maybe mid year or next.

Nope, not going to happen. The 4" size is outdated. Time to move on.

• Reply 38 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Great review. I had to return my iPhone 6 because it was way too large. Very strange that Apple didn't offer a 4-inch iPhone 6. It's not normally in Apple's DNA to copy Samsung's product line, and it's also shocking that Apple would turn its back on all its customers who loved the iPhone specifically because of its size. I want an A8 processor in a 4-inch size. This goes to show that Tim Cook's instincts are wildly out of sync with what Steve Jobs' instincts were. Steve led the tech industry, whereas Tim just blindly follows the competition. Truly sad.

No, the times have changed. Tim did a great job with these new phones as the next transformation is happening right now. In 5 years, everyone will laugh at how small the first iPhones were.

• Reply 39 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Nope, not going to happen. The 4" size is outdated. Time to move on.

Outdated?

Did something happen between August, when the 5S was still the #1 selling phone, and September.

• Reply 40 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Outdated?

Did something happen between August, when the 5S was still the #1 selling phone, and September.

You're right. I should of said on it's way out the door as a newer product came out.