Adapting to change: a review of Apple's larger 4.7-inch iPhone 6 vs. the smaller 4-inch iPhone 5s

Comments

• Reply 141 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Funny how people use the 'you're not being forced to buy blah' argument when it suits them but then 'oh, the sky is falling' when it doesn't.

I don't quite get what you are saying in the context of this thread.

• Reply 142 of 281
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I don't quite get what you are saying in the context of this thread.

Can understand your query in respect of having no choice smaller than the 6, I did wonder about that as I posted. However, so many were vocal about Apple falling behind without a larger iPhone and now, so many complaints. My wife has migrated from a 3G straight to the 6. How do you think she's getting on? Like a fish to water! I might go for the 6 Plus, how do you think I'll get on?

• Reply 143 of 281
    Quote:

Can understand your query in respect of having no choice smaller than the 6, I did wonder about that as I posted. However, so many were vocal about Apple falling behind without a larger iPhone and now, so many complaints. My wife has migrated from a 3G straight to the 6. How do you think she's getting on? Like a fish to water! I might go for the 6 Plus, how do you think I'll get on?

I too wanted to see Apple give people a choice in a phone that was larger than 4" but I always championed 4.7" as the largest phone that Apple should make.

I have nothing personal against the 5.5" but I t think it was a stupid decision on Apple's part to chase that market. I don't think there is any more of a market for that phone than there was with the 5C. It's a niche product that will never garner Apple the sales that I believe Apple expects of it.

I always thought that the lineup of the 5C at the bottom, the 5S in the middle and the 6 at the top was all that Apple had to do to exceed last year's sales. Now that Apple Pay  has been introduced I think that the 5S in the middle should have been configured with an NFC chip. Instead we get the 6+ and the 5S without NFC.

I think that Apple is right back to where it was last year with a faulty expectation of its mix...where the demand will be really great for the 6 and not so much as Apple expected for the 6+. The only difference this year is that it seems that Apple has either not made that many Plus phones or it has them in a warehouse somewhere waiting for the launch in China.

I feel as confident about what I am saying about the 6+ as I was last year with my comments about the 5C... and I was dead on about that.

Only time will tell if I am right.

• Reply 144 of 281
    I like the iPhone 6 (4.7"), but I agree that it's awkward to hold and use single handed, which is how I've been using iPhones since 2007. I find the 4" iPhone 5 just the right size, perhaps no larger than 4.3".

I find myself using the new Reachability feature quite a bit, and it works well, except everytime I invoke it, I am reminded that my phone's screen is too large.

I hold my iPhone 6 the same way I learned to hold the 5. I don't grip it tightly like the photo in this article. I grasp it on the sides between the base of my index finger and the finger pads of my third and fourth fingers. The index finger simply supports the back of the phone, usually resting in the Apple logo. My last finger is bent towards me, so the phone rests on it: the Lightning connector edges dig into the side of my little finger. My thumb can reach most of the screen (edge to opposite edge), except for the top 3/4". Or approximately the extra height added to the iPhone 6 screen.

So basically, only the top 3/4" is unreachable by thumb, which is why Reachability works for me. But I wouldn't call this grip especially secure.
  • Reply 145 of 281
    Quote:

I too wanted to see Apple give people a choice in a phone that was larger than 4" but I always championed 4.7" as the largest phone that Apple should make.

I have nothing personal against the 5.5" but I don't think it was a stupid decision on Apple's part to chase that market. I don't think there is any more of a market for that phone than there was with the 5C. It's a niche product that will never garner Apple the sales that I believe Apple expects of it.

I always that the lineup of the 5C at the bottom, the 5S in the middle and the 6 at the top was all that Apple had to do to exceed last year's sales. Now that Apple Pay  has been introduced I think that the 5S in the middle should have been configured with an NFC chip. Instead we get the 6+ and the 5S without NFC.

I think that Apple is right back to where it was last year with a faulty expectation of its mix...where the demand will be really great for the 6 and not so much as Apple expected for the 6+. The only difference this year is that it seems that Apple has either not made that many Plus phones or it has them in a warehouse somewhere waiting for the launch in China.

I feel as confident about what I am saying about the 6+ as I was last year with my comments about the 5C... and I was dead on about that.

Only time will tell if I am right.

I wonder whether Apple will give the sales breakdown... won't that be interesting?! A 5S form factor 6 with the two larger ones would have been a great lineup but was it workable logistically? Perhaps in ten years time, during a retrospective interview, Tim will let slip with his opinion but of course, by then, this will be history. I looked at the 6 Plus and couldn't bring myself to commit (one was available), more research needed?

All the best.

• Reply 146 of 281
    mcarling wrote: »
    I normally buy a new iPhone every year, but I'm skipping the iPhone 6. I'll wait for the 6s with the hope that it will be offered in a 4" model.

Hope? You can do better: tell Apple!
    https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
  • Reply 147 of 281
    calispecgt wrote: »
    WHY am I not allowed to appreciate owning and using a 6 plus?

If you need the Internet's permission to appreciate owning and using an iPhone 6 Plus, you should probably stop reading the Internet and go enjoy your iPhone 6 Plus. That's what most Apple users are doing; they're not on forums seeking someone to agree with their point of view.
  • Reply 148 of 281
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Get it through your thick brain.

90% of the iPhone target market wants larger phones than 4 inches. How do i know? Because Apple is not stupid and they spend tens of millions of dollars on R&D and market research to figure out what sizes will sell the best.

You are part of the grand minority that want a 4 inch phone. Either adapt or buy an Android POS. Apple will NEVER make a 4 inch flagship again.

You are a sad little man.

Apple must have changed its target market because the 5S was the top selling phone right up until August. So what target were those people? I guess they don't count.

As I said before, those millions of dollars didn't help Apple to get the mix right last year... so it can always happen again.

Depending on how the 6+ sells we might well see a 4" flagship next year.

• Reply 149 of 281
    Quote:

I wonder whether Apple will give the sales breakdown... won't that be interesting?! A 5S form factor 6 with the two larger ones would have been a great lineup but was it workable logistically? Perhaps in ten years time, during a retrospective interview, Tim will let slip with his opinion but of course, by then, this will be history. I looked at the 6 Plus and couldn't bring myself to commit (one was available), more research needed?

All the best.

I just noticed I added a "don't" where it doesn't belong in my reply to you.

I meant to say:

"I have nothing personal against the 5.5" but I [don't] think it was a stupid decision on Apple's part to chase that market.

• Reply 150 of 281
    Quote:

Dead on about the 5C?

STFU. The 5C was the #2 phone in multiple countries around the world for multiple months. Tim Cook mentioned several times the 5C had strong sales in Q2 2014 and Q3 2014.

Citation.

[remembering of course that sog35 is the poster who claimed that Apple had seen the light and that plastic is the way to go for the middle of the lineup and from here forward we would see a progression of plastic phones, with the 6C being in this September's lineup. Yup... that happened.]

• Reply 151 of 281
    iqatedo wrote: »

I wonder whether Apple will give the sales breakdown... won't that be interesting?!

Serious question: what purpose to Apple would it serve for them to release this information publicly? Think hard about this question: what do they have to gain by telling us? Answer: nothing. We want to know because we all want to play armchair CEO. Everyone in these forums thinks they can second guess Tim Cook and the other Apple senior management.

You know what Tim Cook might say about releasing such detailed product plans publicly? It's free product segment research for Apple's competitors. Why would Apple hand competitors valuable information about Apple's customer demographics, just to satisfy our curiosity as armchair CEOs?
  • Reply 152 of 281
    T
    onhka wrote: »

My wish:

An iPhone 5 Plus, i.e., an iPhone 6 Plus inside an iPhone 5 case (not 5c or 5s)

Right shape. Right size. Right functions. IMO.

Like, why would I buy hockey gloves when the only game I play now is golf?
    that why it's only a wish cuz new phone in a 2 year olds design is disaster.
  • Reply 153 of 281

90% of the iPhone target market wants larger phones than 4 inches. How do i know?

Because you think that making up numbers means you are right.

Citation.

I’d have to go with common sense on that one. The iPhone has done that every year that more than one model sold.

• Reply 154 of 281
    Quote:

I just noticed I added a "don't" where it doesn't belong in my reply to you.

I meant to say:

"I have nothing personal against the 5.5" but I [don't] think it was a stupid decision on Apple's part to chase that market.

Almost guessed, thanks for clarifying. Time as they say, will tell! (For me too if I buy a 6 Plus.)

• Reply 155 of 281
    sog35 wrote: »
    So you know more about selling iPhones than Apple now?

Do you realize how utter stupid you sound?

That's kind of the point of the forums, isn't it?
    It should be a TV show called So You Think You're Smarter Than An Apple CEO.
  • Reply 156 of 281
    Re: Applepay, I wonder if you'll be able to use a 5s with the watch to accomplish a payment. The watch does work with the 5s and the nfc chip will be in the watch so I'm hoping this will work.

I also don't want a phablet, I want something that fits in the front pocket of my jeans.
  • Reply 157 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’d have to go with common sense on that one. The iPhone has done that every year that more than one model sold.

TS... the US is iPhones biggest market and the 5C wasn't even in the #3 spot from Jan 14 onward on the big 4 charts.

Hell... it was only in #2 spot on two of the big 4 spots in November.

He didn't say that it sold more than the 4S.

• Reply 158 of 281
    Quote:

So you know more about selling iPhones than Apple now?

Do you realize how utter stupid you sound?

Now why would sounding stupid be a bad thing to "you".

• Reply 159 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Serious question: what purpose to Apple would it serve for them to release this information publicly? Think hard about this question: what do they have to gain by telling us? Answer: nothing. We want to know because we all want to play armchair CEO. Everyone in these forums thinks they can second guess Tim Cook and the other Apple senior management.

You know what Tim Cook might say about releasing such detailed product plans publicly? It's free product segment research for Apple's competitors. Why would Apple hand competitors valuable information about Apple's customer demographics, just to satisfy our curiosity as armchair CEOs?

Your post is full of irony... you realize that, right?

• Reply 160 of 281
    I'm one who isn't interested simply because of the size. I think it's interesting how horrible large screens were on this site until recently.

I'll stick with my 5s, which I already thought was too big, until it dies and I'll have to see what's available then. Getting a "new" phone that's exactly the same as your old one never sat right with me either. So three years from now I hope they get their watch to work other o.e.m.s