Bloomberg: Apple's next-gen iPad Air to come in gold color option

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I think that they'll maybe have ?Pay for online payments and such, but not in store via NFC.

That is just my guess.

Can you point me to anything that would offer up ?Pay's other HW features, like the Secure
    pmz wrote: »

My guess is they absolutely WILL have ApplePay.....that does not mean they will have NFC.

ApplePay is equally useful for every transaction you make ON the device....iTunes, Online Shopping and In-App purchases.

I keep hearing this but I have yet to see any evidence of this.
  • Reply 42 of 71
    What are the odds that s 12" iPad will be announced?
  • Reply 43 of 71
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Can you point me to anything that would offer up ?Pay's other HW features, like the Secure

I keep hearing this but I have yet to see any evidence of this.

What evidence? Like iOS 8.1 beta's references to Touch ID and ApplePay in the iPad firmware? That seems like evidence to me...

With or without evidence though, it makes sense for it to be included...with or without NFC.

As others have mentioned, the iPad is an increasingly popular POS system with additional hardware....seems ripe for the opportunity to build in NFC to make the iPad a better payment receiver than payment maker.

• Reply 44 of 71
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What are the odds that s 12" iPad will be announced?

Not very good I would say. I highly doubt Apple's ability to keep a new product like that from leaking this close to an alleged launch/production.

• Reply 45 of 71
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Not very good I would say. I highly doubt Apple's ability to keep a new product like that from leaking this close to an alleged launch/production.

Just like all those Apple Watch leaks.

All they have to do is conscript Yao Ming to the production line. His proportions will make any prototypes or bare cases of the 12” iPad look to scale.

• Reply 46 of 71
    pmz wrote: »

What evidence? Like iOS 8.1 beta's references to Touch ID and ApplePay in the iPad firmware? That seems like evidence to me...

With or without evidence though, it makes sense for it to be included...with or without NFC.

As others have mentioned, the iPad is an increasingly popular POS system with additional hardware....seems ripe for the opportunity to build in NFC to make the iPad a better payment receiver than payment maker.

I haven't seen anythjng about ?Pay being specifically included in the iPad 8.1 betas but I'm asking you about Apple specifically stating and marketing ?Pay for "ITunes, Online Shopping and In-App Purcahses."

All I've seen is TouchID being used for authenticiing those purchases, but TouchID is not ?Pay. The expansion of TouchID uses your Apple ID and whatever payment system you have no file, which is NOT ?Pay.
  • Reply 47 of 71
    Just like all those Apple Watch leaks.

That's only valid if we're talking about a device not yet in production.
  • Reply 48 of 71
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's only valid if we're talking about a device not yet in production.

Oh yes; that’s right.

• Reply 49 of 71
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

First time poster, but following the blog for many years.

There was reference in the 8.1 beta to both TouchID and ?Pay for iPad, per the rumours yesterday.  I agree that NFC might not be the usecase, but having ?Pay for payment for either (within) apps or for online transactions would be a strong driver for iPad upgrades.  

With ?Pay/TouchID, merchants would pay the fee for a "card present" rate, which should be a strong driver for online websites to build in ?Pay functionality.  For the user, Apple has stated in the keynote (when showing for example Target app) that with ?Pay, their would be no need to enter either shipping information (configured once), and of course the credit card or bank card info is delivered in the secure method, thus not requiring a user to enter credit card information for those online sites.

Secure online shopping, with lower rates for online merchants/sites, with much better security and ease of use for the user, sounds like a great plan to increase iPad sales.  If true, I expect Apple to show in the October keynote how this works for general online websites, and then  expect uptake of websites that support ?Pay to grow quickly as they would pay less with that enhanced security & ID verification.

Just a thought of course...

• Reply 50 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by afalkner View Post

Does anyone else think the next gen iPad will have the ability to interact with ApplePay? Im not sure you need to have NFC in an iPad to pay with...but it would really be great for POS systems if the new iPad could automatically accept ApplePay payments if you were a registered merchant.

There's a dairy farm near my house that has a white plastic iPad stand with CC-swiper (like an iMac stand, with a real iPad as the "screen"), as their POS system. 

The last time we were there it was an all-cash operation, now they have the simple and effective way to sell.

Really good question by afalkner. 

ApplePay for some Milk that's only hours-old, with the moo-ing in the background.

I love what Apple does for society. 

1-song instead of 1-album, (.....a whole bunch of other stuff...) and now REAL secure-pay.

Change The World indeed.

• Reply 51 of 71
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

About to help a friend setup POS in his pizza shop using iPads.  Hoping they will accept NFC payments as that will generate many sales to those who currently have installed iPads for POS and also new systems setup to use them.

• Reply 52 of 71
    andysol wrote: »
    Touch ID and a very modest processor jump. For the first release since the ipad 1, I might not upgrade if that essentially Sums it up.

Now if it has 1.5 or 2gb of ram (or however much is needed for safari tabs)- I'm in.

Because you believe everything you read here?
  • Reply 53 of 71
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    iPads are in desperate need of better speaker(s).
  • Reply 54 of 71
    I do wish people would quit calling the color of the iPhone 5s/6 "gold". It is simply not gold or even golden. It is beige. The link below contains 3 pictures. The first of a beige PC case, then the iPhone, then an actual real gold museum piece. The phone is beige -- Apple's marketing machine is simply manipulative enough that they can get people to call it gold.
    http://www.computingcompendium.com/2014/09/apple-manages-to-convince-customers.html
  • Reply 55 of 71
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by brians View Post

It is beige.

Champagne. That’d be why Apple called it champagne. 

• Reply 56 of 71

Apple never called it "Champagne". They did originally call it "Champagne Gold", but the French complained. But now it's just "gold".

See for yourself: http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

Apple clearly says the phone is gold... but look at the pictures... it's in no way golden.

I originally thought it was just bad pictures... but I went into an Apple store about a month ago... it's beige.

• Reply 57 of 71
    Originally Posted by brians View Post

Apple never called it "Champagne". They did originally call it  Champagne 

Okay then. :no::wow::???:

• Reply 58 of 71
    "Beige" is by definition not metallic. Metallic beige would be one of the many, many tones you can call "gold". On a car, it might be called "bronze". This also covers an enormous range—from the wimpy goldenrod of the car I'm looking at out the window right now, to extremely reddish copper-bronze. "Gold" and "bronze" are a very wide spectrum, not just the yellow-gold color you expect.
  • Reply 59 of 71
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

I read an interesting comment on one of Asymco's articles, where a poster "appeared" to be quite knowledgeable of ?Pay solution & how it fits in with the payment industry, and he also provided some interesting thoughts around potential applications beyond payments (think enterprise use cases).

http://www.asymco.com/2014/09/15/the-critical-path-122-where-the-money-is/#disqus_thread

Go down until you see a comment by a "Martin".

Doesn't directly answer your question regarding evidence of ?Pay on iPads (though there was the rumour from yesterday), but definitely gets you thinking about the wider applications, and how that can drive sales of new devices.  For iPad, that could be in enterprise for secure applications, and for consumer - shopping:).  I know my wife, who uses her iPad for web browsing and online shopping, would take like a fish-to-water for a solution which made that checkout process significantly faster, easier, and more secure (...on second thought, if true, maybe I won't mention it to her then;)).

• Reply 60 of 71
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Champagne can only come from the Champagne region in France

You hear that, people? Tell your wife to send back the burgundy paint unless the can is in French. The living room redo is going to have to wait.