Eric Schmidt says Google 'far more secure' than Apple, denies allegations of harvesting data

Comments

• Reply 101 of 193

Schmidt, of course, is going to promote his company, at any expense and deny any wrong-doing.  The problem is, he's saying things that are just not correct (generally a lie or at best an evasive non-answer) and at some point a reporter is going to call him on these things.  Not that it will have any effect on him personally or Google in the whole, as they'll simply have their PR firm spin things to make it seem like Schmidt wasn't saying what he said.

At least this is my take on things.  I've used Google products for years, understand (mostly) what that means in giving up privacy rights, but I can't stand it when executives like Schmidt try to make their company come across as faultless when we all the evidence says the opposite.  It reminds me of the former RIM executives trying to convince everyone that their phones and software were better than the iPhone, when it was as simple as picking up both devices to see just how far behind Blackberry was and continued to be.

I'd prefer executives to simply tell the truth and let us, the consumers and investors, decide whether we want to continue to use / believe / invest in their company / product / service.

• Reply 102 of 193
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member

I think Schmidt's getting into more political arguments here than technical. He's taking on the role of a politician in full spin mode. By playing word games and drinking his own Kool Aid he can actually make himself believe what he is saying so that he does not catch himself in a lie. I wonder if he could pass a lie detector test at this time.

• Reply 103 of 193
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You can search the web, even use Bing if you're suspicious of the result, to understand why Chrome "phones home". You should try it rather than guessing what the reasons are.

No I shouldn't have to.  There is no legitimate reason to place a separate server on my computer when I download a web browser that runs in the background even when the browser is closed.  If this was coming from a hardware company like Apple I would call it poor design.  Coming from an internet company that makes all its money from mined data which supposedly believes all your data and processing should be in the cloud, bundling an additional software server makes no sense. I don't really care what excuse they give.  It is unacceptable behavior!   

• Reply 104 of 193

BREAKING NEWS! Paid lying sleezebag pervert lies.

Shocker...

DuckDuckGo now the default search on all of my APPLE devices.

STARVE THE BORG!

• Reply 105 of 193
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    genovelle wrote: »
    No I shouldn't have to.  There is no legitimate reason to place a separate server on my computer when I download a web browser that runs in the background even when the browser is closed.  If this was coming from a hardware company like Apple I would call it poor design.  Coming from an internet company that makes all its money from mined data which supposedly believes all your data and processing should be in the cloud, bundling an additional software server makes no sense. I don't really care what excuse they give.  It is unacceptable behavior!   

If you don't care to know why then don't bother researching it. Just continue to make up your own explanations for it.
  • Reply 106 of 193
    There are not that many people in this world that when I see a picture of them I want to kick them in the teeth. This guy is one of them. Anybody with me on this?
  • Reply 107 of 193
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Yup, your first sentence. I don't advocate/promote Google, particularly over any competing Apple product.

If someone posts something obviously incorrect, whether by accident or FUD, and I happen to have more accurate information I'll post it. That's not just on subjects involving Google either. Apparently those are the only ones you notice tho. I would think having the facts right would be more important than making up reasons to dislike another company. Wouldn't you rather know the truth, good or bad, than go on believing something untrue? It's not that hard to find REAL things to bash Google with (or anyone else for that matter) instead of making some up or repeating someone else's flawed information.

Otherwise you won't find posts from me saying anyone should be using Android, Google, Microsoft or anyone else's products or services instead of an Apple one. I think you're just seeing what you wish to believe.

I just read through 3 pages of your latest posts. You may not say it directly, but 90% of what you post is anti Apple. The rest is Google positive.   I hope you are being paid for you post because the amount of time you spend bashing Apple on a site that used to be for people who cared about all things Apple is insane.  

• Reply 108 of 193
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

There are not that many people in this world that when I see a picture of them I want to kick them in the teeth. This guy is one of them. Anybody with me on this?

While I won't echo your sentiments exactly, I too share a very low opinion of the individual in question. He most certainly ranks in the top 5 on my list of schmucks.

• Reply 109 of 193
    I just read through 3 pages of your latest posts. You may not say it directly, but 90% of what you post is anti Apple. The rest is Google positive.   I hope you are being paid for you post because the amount of time you spend bashing Apple on a site that used to be for people who cared about all things Apple is insane.  

Hmmm..
    Since you already found them which post(s) do you think are bashing Apple? I'm also very interested in all things Apple, and perhaps even more knowledgeable about Apple even than some other AI members. I wouldn't get that knowledge from Android sites would I?
  • Reply 110 of 193
    tastowe wrote: »
    The Google is evil and lies because the Google did help the nsa and government law. The Google is very old software company. I don't like the Google CEO Eric Schmidt's lies and evil from his mouth.

What's old is this shtick.
    Why are you still doing it?
  • Reply 111 of 193
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Hello Mr. Ex CEO of Google, we live with but do understand that Android will never be better secured than IOS in my life time. Android is open source like prostitute.

Let me take Android side and say. Sorry, MALWARE is a unique feature in Android that you won't find it in IOS. You IOS users have to convert to Android to enjoy such feature.
  • Reply 112 of 193
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Someone (i.e. a real journalist not some softball questions from a money blog reporter) needs to tell Eric Schmidt that there is a huge difference between "we track everything about you and hope to keep that information secure" and "we don't need to track every detail of your entire life".

• Reply 113 of 193
    tw41tw41 Posts: 3member
    He is simply insulting all of our intelligence. Eric, go home and live in your dream world.
  • Reply 114 of 193
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

Thank you I though I was being delusional there for a nano second ... :D

But you made my point very succinctly. Why on earth does he waste so much time here doing exactly what you say if not for a reason? Why would anyone crusade against Google negative comments on an Apple fan site so doggedly? I cannot imagine what a waste of time that would be if, as claimed, it is just out of wanting to clear up FUD. The term 'Get a Life' comes to mind. But if there is a material gain .. then I'd understand, although a disclaimer would be nice.

Wait ... I just thought of a wild reason ... He works for AI to generate traffic! OMG ... Is he alter ego Bizzaro DED?
  • Reply 115 of 193
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Hmmm..
    Since you already found them which post(s) do you think are bashing Apple? I'm also very interested in all things Apple, and perhaps even more knowledgeable about Apple even than some other AI members. I wouldn't get that knowledge from Android sites would I?

Possibly you do know quite a bit compared to many here about Apple, Eric probably sent you a ton of inside info from his days as a trusted member of Apple's Board ... ;)
  • Reply 116 of 193
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

While they may not "harvest your data", I think there is a big difference between privacy and using the consumer as the product. Let's face it, Google makes money by selling ads. That's about it. The only reason they make money with that is the ability to monetize what they know about you. What Tim Cook highlighted is that is where the money is coming from so follow the money.

Apple's money comes from their products.

Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

Notice he never answered the question. He never spoke to the question of accessing thief customers private data to monetize it. Cook didn't say Google left data exposed. He said they are accessing it themselves to make money. Apple has no need to do so because they sell hardware first and far most.

I agree with both posts, which is why it confuses me

that Cook, during the Charlie Rose interview,

singled out Google as Apple's "top competitor".

I know he thinks he explained it, but...

• Reply 117 of 193
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    If Google is "secure" why are Google's business apps and cloud NOT HIPPA Compliant for maintaining security and privacy of patient data???

That is because Google is not secure.

In fact, Google Apps are HIPAA compliant and customers may request a Business Associate Agreement (BAA) with Google.

Having said that, I do not use nor do I recommend any entity use Google Apps. I believe Google's "HIPAA compliant" Google Apps are essentially a straw man awaiting the most insignificant of challenges until they collapse.
  • Reply 118 of 193
    boredumb wrote: »
    I agree with both posts, which is why it confuses me
    that Cook, during the Charlie Rose interview,
    singled out Google as Apple's "top competitor".
    I know he thinks he explained it, but...

Totally agree with those comments too. No FUD just the truth.
  • Reply 119 of 193
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Desperately, desperately trying to refute the "You're not the customer. You're the product." meme, which could be devastating if it catches on. But by resorting to outright and preposterous lies, Herr Schmidt might have only worsened things. Nothing attracts more flies on the internet than preposterous statements delivered with a straight face.
  • Reply 120 of 193
    Possibly you do know quite a bit compared to many here about Apple, Eric probably sent you a ton of inside info from his days as a trusted member of Apple's Board ... ;)

LOL! That really WAS funny, and well-timed to lighten the tone a little. Well played sir, well played. :D