Eric Schmidt says Google 'far more secure' than Apple, denies allegations of harvesting data

Comments

• Reply 121 of 193
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    You all miss understood him, In google speak you do not have to worry about anyone but google seeing what you are doing. Their data is so heavily protect that they can not afford to have other people mining their data.

So yeah outside may not know my google knows and they missed that Apple say they do not even know what you are doing and Eric did not address that. He telling you not to look behind the current since you find google there looking at your stuff.
  • Reply 122 of 193
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    tundraboy wrote: »
    Desperately, desperately trying to refute the "You're not the customer. You're the product." meme, which could be devastating if it catches on. But by resorting to outright and preposterous lies, Herr Schmidt might have only worsened things. Nothing attracts more flies on the internet than preposterous statements delivered with a straight face.

Pass him the shovel and let him dig.

It is a catchy meme isn't it? Short, punchy and true. I can imagine all sorts of great TV ads that could push that home for Apple. I hope they have the balls to go on the attack.
  • Reply 123 of 193
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

If Google is "secure" why are Google's business apps and cloud NOT HIPPA Compliant for maintaining security and privacy of patient data???

That is because Google is not secure.

This isn't relevant to the conversation on Google vs. Apple security, since Apple doesn't even offer these types of enterprise apps.

I think Schmidt would do well to get off his book-promotion tour, as it's not helping his book or Google. That said, at face value, until two (?) weeks ago, more Android phones were encrypted than Apple phones. On Android it's optional (until L 5), while the decision is made for you by Apple. That's the basis for his "catching up" statement. Of course you already knew that.

• Reply 124 of 193
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Desperately, desperately trying to refute the "You're not the customer. You're the product." meme, which could be devastating if it catches on. But by resorting to outright and preposterous lies, Herr Schmidt might have only worsened things. Nothing attracts more flies on the internet than preposterous statements delivered with a straight face.

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Pass him the shovel and let him dig.

It is a catchy meme isn't it? Short, punchy and true. I can imagine all sorts of great TV ads that could push that home for Apple. I hope they have the balls to go on the attack.

Man, I wish they'd do an "I'm iPhone. And I'm Android." promo.  They can have a spot where iPhone guy holds a product demo and shows a line up of iPhones and iPads, than Android guy rounds up his own product demo and shows a line up of various people/consumers.  Another spot has them holding customer appreciation days iPhone guy is warmly welcoming iPhone owners to his event, meanwhile Android guy rudely turns away Android phone owners and fawningly let's in advertisers.

• Reply 125 of 193
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

That said, at face value, until two (?) weeks ago, more Android phones were encrypted than Apple phones. On Android it's optional (until L 5), while the decision is made for you by Apple. That's the basis for his "catching up" statement. Of course you already knew that.

Just how would one count how many phones are encrypted or not? What would be the reason to count them? Maybe to see which phones you could extract information from. It seems to me that if you have no interest in the data, why would you even know who is encrypted or not.

• Reply 126 of 193

Here is a better one...

"Liar"

[Music by D.Mustaine / D.Ellefson, lyrics by D.Mustaine]

You take great pride in never having lived up to anything

Lie, steal, cheat, and kill, a real bad guy

Your daddy is a wine, and your mommy's quite insane

From altar boy to sewer rat, you don't give a damn

Your sister is a junkie, get "it" anyway she can

Your brother's a gay singer in a stud leather band

Your girlfriend's got herpes to go with your help and AIDS

There ain't one person you know you ain't ripped off yet

Look deep in the mirror, look deep into its eyes

Your face is replaced, a creature you despise

But I know what you're made of, it ain't much I'm afraid

I know you'll be lying until your dying day

Make up your stories, but truth's so hard to say

Brain is numb and your tongue will surely dig you grave

Your mind is sickly from Alzheimer's disease

And decadence and debauchery killed your memories

You're a liar, liar, liar, everyone can see

You're a liar, liar, liar, it's all you'll ever be

You're a liar, liar, liar, it's what you mean to me

Liar, liar, lies...

Start trouble, spread pain

Piss and venom in your veins

Talk nasty, breathe fire

Smell rotten, you're a liar

Sweat liquor, breathe snot

Eat garbage, spit blood

Diseased, health hazard

Scum bag, fucking bastard

Grease face, teeth decay

Hair matted, drunk all day

Abscessed, sunken veins

Rot gut, scrambled brain

Steal money, crash cars

Rob jewelry, hock guitars

Rot in hell, it's time you know

To your master, off you go

You're a liar

A fucking liar

Filthy liar

You, you, you, you fucking liar!

You're a liar
  • Reply 127 of 193
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Same Schmidt, different day. How he and the interviewer kept a straight face is a miracle.
  • Reply 128 of 193
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Just how would one count how many phones are encrypted or not? What would be the reason to count them? Maybe to see which phones you could extract information from. It seems to me that if you have no interest in the data, why would you even know who is encrypted or not.

Where did you see that they were counted?

• Reply 129 of 193
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stargazerCT View Post

I put this guy up there with Balmer...a walking buffoon!

Ballmer is smarter.  He got out of the business.

• Reply 130 of 193
    Quote:

Man, I wish they'd do an "I'm iPhone. And I'm Android." promo.

It's not even an iPhone vis a vis Android thing. How many people are using Gmail and/or other Google services on their iOS device and still serving up their life's datastream to the 'plex in Mountain View? Apple's taking the right course, just subtly reinforcing the idea that Google makes, literally ALL, its money from pimping its users out to advertisers.

People need to keep pressing 'Doctor Strangelove', and other Google representatives, when they say things like that the data they gather is "used for nothing" with the logical follow-up of "then why gather it?"

• Reply 131 of 193
    Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewmaurice View Post

Google makes, literally ALL, its money from pimping its users out to advertisers.

There are plenty of honest arguments against Google's business model, so why do so many lie like this?

• Reply 132 of 193
    tundraboy wrote: »
    Man, I wish they'd do an "I'm iPhone. And I'm Android." promo.  They can have a spot where iPhone guy holds a product demo and shows a line up of iPhones and iPads, than Android guy rounds up his own product demo and shows a line up of various people/consumers.  Another spot has them holding customer appreciation days iPhone guy is warmly welcoming iPhone owners to his event, meanwhile Android guy rudely turns away Android phone owners and fawningly let's in advertisers.

Yes, i was imagining exactly the first idea ... The Google line of products ... a line of ordinary and unaware looking people all with price tags on them... (It's not just Android remember ... it using anything from Google)

I altered my sig hopefully Google spiders pick it up :D
  • Reply 133 of 193
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Where did you see that they were counted?

waterrockets said that there were more Android phones encrypted than iPhones until two weeks ago. To know that there are more Android phones encrypted than iPhones would you not have to count them?

• Reply 134 of 193
    Quote:

There are plenty of honest arguments against Google's business model, so why do so many lie like this?

What's the lie? Google, literally, charges other people for access to you based on the proclivities you've exhibited to them. That's pretty much definitively classic pimp behavior.

• Reply 135 of 193

To be honest, I don't know if that statement was a lie or not ... can you list the non advertising related revenue streams Google has? There may well be some I don't know of. If you do have a list the percentage of Googles revenue they comprise would be useful too. I am genuinely curious I'm not attacking your point. I am guessing Android licensing might be one beyond that I am stuck and I don't even know if the licensing runs a net profit or not.
  • Reply 136 of 193
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    kent909 wrote: »
    waterrockets said that there were more Android phones encrypted than iPhones until two weeks ago. To know that there are more Android phones encrypted than iPhones would you not have to count them?
    I don't think Apple offered on-device encryption on iPhones until iOS8 did they? Google Android had the feature for several years. Maybe I'm wrong, but if not that's why there's no need to count.
  • Reply 137 of 193
    gatorguy wrote: »
    LOL! That really WAS funny, and well-timed to lighten the tone a little. Well played sir, well played. :D

So you refute being DED drumming up traffic then? :D
  • Reply 138 of 193
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    So you refute being DED drumming up traffic then? :D

We all channel a little DED sometimes.
  • Reply 139 of 193
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Schmidt is just narcissistic enough to make a run for President! He's lying so well, he could challenge Obama.
  • Reply 140 of 193
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

While they may not "harvest your data", I think there is a big difference between privacy and using the consumer as the product. Let's face it, Google makes money by selling ads. That's about it. The only reason they make money with that is the ability to monetize what they know about you. What Tim Cook highlighted is that is where the money is coming from so follow the money.

Apple's money comes from their products.

If that was their only way of making money off of your/my data, they'd be bankrupt. They are engaged in clandestine, illegal activity, selling our data to the highest bidder on a regular basis. Including the federal government. That's what actually keeps them afloat, and doesn't show up on the books.