'iWorm' malware controls Macs via Reddit, more than 17K affected

Comments

• Reply 41 of 118
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,797member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Details page here for those few interested:
    http://news.drweb.com/show/?i=5977&lng=en

FWIW BitDefender says they've identified some other variations of it.

Way to help stir worries. I don't see a simple explanation there of how the Mac get's infected. While you are at it, Mr Android, care to post links to all Windows and Android malware AND actual viruses? I realize that would take weeks years, but go on give it a go in the name of 'not allowing FUD', your claimed raison d'etre.

That's it with me for tolerating your anti-Apple crap. S*d off to your Google fan site will ya!

I smell the non Apple people getting very scared out there and between this and bendy iPhones they are getting desperate.
  • Reply 42 of 118
    ibeam wrote: »
    Ha funny I must have downloaded more stuff from Compuserve. There were tons of Mac OS 4-5 viruses. Norton was essential especially for service bureaus at the time.

As I say, we never came across any in all those years nor did our clients. I am not disbelieving you but you surely trod where no one I knew trod. I repeat we never ever ran fu****g Norton or any other Windows crap ported to Macs. Our clients were almost all business, medical, education, graphics and printing. Perhaps they travelled in different circles or the UK didn't have the same problem. OS X though is a different thing as I am sure you'd agree.
  • Reply 43 of 118
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Classic Mac OS, OS 9 and prior, had viruses. The real deal, spreading on their own. The ones my workplace ran into were spread by CD and floppy.

Mac OS X is based on NeXT's OS (UNIX), and has been around for a decade and a half. Classic Mac OS is irrelevant to any present-day discussion.

Claims that Macs have no successful self-spreading malware (call it "worm," or "virus") in the real world (occasionally in a lab, or small environment, yes) are true, IF you limit yourself to OS X Macs.

Which, in 2014, is fair enough :)

It's also true to claim that in the 1900s, Macs did have viruses. But it's meaningless--those Macs were as different from today's as Windows is.

• Reply 44 of 118
    nagromme wrote: »
    Classic Mac OS , OS 9 and prior, had viruses. The ones my workplace ran into were spread by CD and floppy.

Mac OS X is based on NeXT's OS, and has been around for a decade and a half.

Claims that Macs have no successful self-spreading malware (call it "worm," or "virus") in the real world (occasionally in a lab, yes) are true, IF you limit yourself to OS X Macs.

Which, in 2014, is fair enough :)

Agreed but I still say the stories of Mac OS serious infections are greatly exaggerated. Regarding OS X, a virus to me, is self installing and able to replicate. So called Malware that the press love to attribute to OS X in the hope the masses/ stock market think it is a virus, requires an idiot to install it.
  • Reply 45 of 118
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member

Oh please! If you used a decent search engine you could find this page:

http://mac-antivirus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/history-of-macintosh-viruses.html

And that is far from complete there were many. many more infecting Word and other script enabled applications.

• Reply 46 of 118
    Oh please! If you used a decent search engine you could find this page:

http://mac-antivirus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/history-of-macintosh-viruses.html

And that is far from complete there were many. many more infecting Word and other script enabled applications.

Oh, so if you want to include malware specifically targeted at Microsoft Software that's a whole other story. I had a total ban on Microsoft Software so perhaps that was why we had no problems.

Meanwhile think about what the PC world was going through ...
  • Reply 47 of 118
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Totally agree that Apple has backed away from this claim, but Apple fanatics have been moving this agenda forward nonstop.

So you're claiming Apple has backed away from Mac OS X not being able to get Wndows viruses? You want to prove this?
  • Reply 48 of 118
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,904member

Glad I don't Reddit - whatever that is.

• Reply 49 of 118
    Oh, so if you want to include malware specifically targeted at Microsoft Software that's a whole other story. I had a total ban on Microsoft Software so perhaps that was why we had no problems.

He wants you to believe Office for Mac, Adobe Flash and Java malware are actually Mac OS X viruses, just like he's trying to spin Apple backing away from not being able to get Windows viruses as if Mac OS X can now be infected with them.
  • Reply 50 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So you're claiming Apple has backed away from Mac OS X not being able to get Wndows viruses? You want to prove this?

No I would rather you go out on the Internet and learn history.

• Reply 51 of 118
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,479member
    This is poorly reported. The Russian security service "Dr. Web" has a VERY spotty track record and is in fact suspected of formulating malware itself. But putting that aside, the original report clearly says that over 17,000 "unique IP addresses" are affected. This %u2260 Macs.

Ask yourself what percentage of Macs use static IP addresses, and you'll start to realize that the number of actual "infected" Macs is likely a lot smaller than the report infers. I'm not saying this isn't a threat (though if it actually depends on Java, it probably isn't much of one), I'm saying the reports have distorted the actual content of the matter.

Luckily, there's an easy fix: don't pirate software, and don't install pirated software.
  • Reply 52 of 118
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Bullshit! Apple claimed that Macs can't get PC viruses which they make very clear in their Get A Mac campaign where they clearly refer to PCs as not being Macs. Note that they don't say Macs can't get viruses or that Macs can't get get Mac OS X viruses. Can you point to a single Windows virus that can infect Mac OS X? Of course not.

[VIDEO]

Except most people don't realize of the actual claim that Macs can't get PC viruses. They assume that it can't get ANY virus.
  • Reply 53 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh, so if you want to include malware specifically targeted at Microsoft Software that's a whole other story. 

Not saying it was Apple's fault just that Norton was essential and that Mac viruses were rampant at the time. Current OS X is very secure.

• Reply 54 of 118
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I"d like to see a report of this from someone whose business is anti-malware. Sounds like it could be legit or could be someone trying to make a name for himself. Heck for all we know he wrote the worm.
  • Reply 55 of 118
    No I would rather you go out on the Internet and learn history.

I think that's a great idea but so far you've been lying about what Apple was saying.

dasanman69 wrote: »
    Except most people don't realize of the actual claim that Macs can't get PC viruses. They assume that it can't get ANY virus.

The message was very clear in the Get A Mac ads that the PC represented WinPCs. This is an important factor for people that have been plagued with Windows viruses for decades, hence their focus in the ad. The people that don't understand why Mac OS X can't get Windows viruses are still not going to understand that "Built to be safe" means that Mac OS X has always had the potential for getting viruses or that malware ? virus. [@]ibeam[/@]'s post hoc, ergo propter hoc argument "they changed the wording so they don't support their previous wording" is simply ridiculous.
  • Reply 56 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

It's a Java bug.

I don't have this JavaW folder on my Mac running Yosemite.

Neither do I. Perhaps because I did a clean install when I got my seed pass. And I haven't had a reason to install Java which might be the vector of infection for this (java and flash being super popular for such games)

• Reply 57 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

in a way Apple is responsible because they have created a false sense of security that Macs are not susceptible to viruses. Then the users go clicking on phishing links because they are naive or just stupid.

Apple has been very good about saying 'not susceptible to PC viruses'

Also most of the stuff coming up off phishing links etc isn't viruses. adware, trojans sure, but not viruses. 

• Reply 58 of 118
    Quote:

I think that's a great idea but so far you've been lying about what Apple was saying.

Please point out the lie. I expressed an opinion. Nothing more nothing less. I posted a few links but I don'r take any credit for writing those articles

• Reply 59 of 118
    Please point out the lie. I expressed an opinion. Nothing more nothing less. I posted a few links but I don'r take any credit for writing those articles

You wrote, "Apple is responsible because they have created a false sense of security that Macs are not susceptible to viruses," and "[Apple] claim that Macs were immune to viruses," come to mind, not to mention all the other comments you made defending your false premise.
  • Reply 60 of 118
    Quote:

You wrote, "Apple is responsible because they have created a false sense of security that Macs are not susceptible to viruses," and "[Apple] claim that Macs were immune to viruses," come to mind, not to mention all the other comments you made defending your false premise.

Well, in my opinion those are valid assertions because they are well documented.