AAA says Apple's Siri causes potentially dangerous driver distractions

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89
    solipsismx wrote: »
    You should work it out. There are a significant number of drivers with in-can distractions and those drivers can endanger their lives, the lives of their passengers, as well as the lives of vehicles, pedestrians and property around them.
    Did you post that while driving?
  • Reply 82 of 89
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    What sort of idiot would want to update Facebook etc while driving?

I've been using hands free calls in cars for almost two decades now and keep in car conversations short and to the point.

Although in the nineties I used to fill out paperwork while on the phone using the steering wheel as a makeshift desk, usually on long stretches of freeway when traffic was light.

One of the most important things while driving is to adapt to the conditions, don't expect to do the same things in heavy traffic that you can do on quieter sections of road.
  • Reply 83 of 89
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jungmark wrote: »
    So why does AAA single out Siri? Why not Google Now and the majority of Android? Click bait. I've never txt or update Twitter/FB while driving.

Oh Android users are too cheap to own a car. I'm joking. Haha.

It's easy to update Tweet, and update FB whilst riding on a bus.
  • Reply 84 of 89
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I also hear "HAIRGATE" is the now a problem with the iPhone 6 tearing out women's hair.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11143856/Apple-iPhone-6-is-tearing-out-my-hair-How-tech-isnt-designed-for-women.html

This is the most fracking idiotic whine ever, and yes, I am a women. They scraping below the barrel now...

Only work as sarcasm about the current dysmal state of the medias.

• Reply 85 of 89
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

The vast majority of cars on US roads are single occupant.

Yet, a huge number of accidents occur while many people are in the car, that's especially the case of young adults and teens. Look it up. Having several teens at the same time in a car seemingly is a deathtrap...

• Reply 86 of 89
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Yet, a huge number of accidents occur while many people are in the car, that's especially the case of young adults and teens. Look it up. Having several teens at the same time in a car seemingly is a deathtrap...
    You look it up. Less than 5% of accidents in 2009 involved 19 yr old or younger driver. if you include young adults 20-24 the total is still less than any single category afterward.
  • Reply 87 of 89
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    patpatpat wrote: »
    You look it up. Less than 5% of accidents in 2009 involved 19 yr old or younger driver. if you include young adults 20-24 the total is still less than any single category afterward.

Teen drivers had crash rates 3 times those of drivers 20 and older in 2011.

http://www.rmiia.org/auto/teens/Teen_Driving_Statistics.asp
  • Reply 88 of 89
    jungmark wrote: »
    Teen drivers had crash rates 3 times those of drivers 20 and older in 2011.

http://www.rmiia.org/auto/teens/Teen_Driving_Statistics.asp
    3 times the fatality rate maybe. We're talking about accident rates here. Show me where that link shows the teen accident rate being higher.
  • Reply 89 of 89
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

3 times the fatality rate maybe. We're talking about accident rates here. Show me where that link shows the teen accident rate being higher.

Nope, three times the crash rate.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/teenagers/topicoverview

Face it, there's a reason why many states have provisional licenses: underage drivers can't drive after a certain hour (unless commuting directly to and from work during curfew hours), can't have other teens as passengers, etc. Heck, a lot of school districts have explicit restrictions concerning student drivers going to school-sanctioned events.

This is also reflected in insurance rates. A teen driver involved in an accident or gets a moving violation will see his/her insurance rates skyrocket because the actuaries know that person is a EXTREMELY high accident risk.

When a teen driver crashes, there is a higher chance that the speed is excessive, a higher chance that there are others in the vehicle, a higher chance that there will be serious injuries to both the occupants of that car as as the other vehicle(s), et cetera ad nauseum. It should be pointed out that most countries won't let minors drive, and driver's licenses are much more costly to obtain than in the USA.