Rumor: Apple's 12-inch Retina MacBook Air enters limited production, may miss holiday release

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Why would anybody want this when you can get a Retina MBP 13" which I own mind you and absolutely think is perfect. image

depends on youre needs, to me the 13" MBP is absolute garbage because the GPU is very very bad.,

• Reply 22 of 69
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Thin is the new stupid%u2014or, since the fad has been around since the RAZR phone, maybe I should say, "Thin is the old stupid that won't go away."

From the user's perspective, it makes no sense to make a laptop super thin. The width, length, and slipperiness of the case means we have to carry it about in a laptop bag. Once in that bag, the thickness matters not. In fact, in most cases the bag's padding will the two or three times a laptop's thickness.

This designer fad isn't driven by any user needs. The user benefits from engineering that isn't constrained by a thinness obsession. Thicker is sturdier. Thicker vents better and runs cooler, something that will matter a lot in this fanless model. Thicker allows a larger battery and thus a longer battery life. The last is where it gets seriously practical. I have yet to figure out why Apple doesn't offer a thicker model whose only difference is a thicker case to hold a larger battery.

The sort of thinness that Apple is apparently attempting to achieve makes sense only if you have a Swiss-knife view of a laptop, meaning that you expect it to do double duty as a knife to slice bread.

Thin is beautiful. Thin is sexy. Thin shows off engineering prowess. Thin is less computer and more 'magic'. Thin is light. Thin doesn't even need a computer case - it just slips in between documents. Impossibly thin is draws oohs and ay's.

And the new thick is MBP. Too much computer for most but since the slimmer design oh so beautiful.

That's it.

• Reply 23 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Slashgate - paper cuts from the too-thinness...

Weightgate - as any small draft in the room blows the computer off your desk

• Reply 24 of 69
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    herbapou wrote: »
    depends on youre needs, to me the 13" MBP is absolute garbage because the GPU is very very bad.,

And a 12" Air would be better?
  • Reply 25 of 69
    paxman wrote: »
    Thin is beautiful. Thin is sexy. Thin shows off engineering prowess. Thin is less computer and more 'magic'. Thin is light. Thin doesn't even need a computer case - it just slips in between documents. Impossibly thin is draws oohs and ay's.

And the new thick is MBP. Too much computer for most but since the slimmer design oh so beautiful.

That's it.

Not so with a 13" Retina MBP. - almost indistinguishable from an Air
  • Reply 26 of 69
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Not so with a 13" Retina MBP. - indistinguishable from an Air

lol

source:
    http://www.cnet.com/news/13-inch-macbook-air-vs-13-inch-macbook-pro-which-should-you-buy/
  • Reply 27 of 69
    lmaclmac Posts: 208member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Bendgate is SOOOOO yesterday, man. Get with the program. “Hair-gate” is where it’s at. We now have YouTube videos of people bitching that their hair and beards are getting pulled out by the iPhone 6. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/10/07/iphone-6-hairgate/

I plan to wear my bald patches proudly when my iPhone 6 arrives and begins to pull my hair out one strand at a time. It’s the new chic.

The revenge of hairless Jony!

• Reply 28 of 69
    inklinginkling Posts: 773member

I attach little value to impressing strangers at coffee shops. It pays no bills and strikes me as mere vanity. And I'll find other ways to charm pretty girls.

Laptops and software are tools. I want them to be good and effective tools. I'd be delighted to trade another 1/8-inch thickness for several more hours of battery life.

'Thin is stupid' is even more true with iPhones. There, Apple devotes an extraordinary amount of time shaving a tiny fraction of an inch off a beautiful case. Then what do most users do? Because that case offers no real protection, they buy a third-party case for it, making their beautiful iPhone look like every other smartphone. A smarter Apple would have several models that do what the public will do aftermarket anyway. They'd have a rugged sport model and a bit thicker extended life model. Smartphones are like shoes. One (or two) models don't fit everyone.

I'm delighted that this new MBA with getting a Retina screen and perhaps settling on 12-inches. I'm disgusted that this silly artsy-fartsy (a term I learned in engineering at the same school Tim Cook attended) obsession with thin may mean fewer ports. My brother-in-law has the latest MBA and it already has too-few ports. Less would be even worse. Less would mean traveling cluttered with a USB hub and ethernet converter and gosh only knows what else. If thin is stupid, less is really stupid.

No one seems to be asking a question that really matters. Apple's obsession with thin goes poorly with its current big white brick of a AC power supply. If they really want to make the new MBA light and portable, they'll ship it with a power supply like the Kickstarter Dart:

http://finsix.com/dart/

I've nothing against small and light. I simply believe it should be applied intelligently not out of vanity. That means a far smaller power supply. It doesn't mean making an already thin case even thinner and slashing a MBA's already too-few ports.

• Reply 29 of 69
    Quote:

Thin is the new stupid%u2014or, since the fad has been around since the RAZR phone, maybe I should say, "Thin is the old stupid that won't go away."

From the user's perspective, it makes no sense to make a laptop super thin. The width, length, and slipperiness of the case means we have to carry it about in a laptop bag. Once in that bag, the thickness matters not. In fact, in most cases the bag's padding will the two or three times a laptop's thickness.

This designer fad isn't driven by any user needs. The user benefits from engineering that isn't constrained by a thinness obsession. Thicker is sturdier. Thicker vents better and runs cooler, something that will matter a lot in this fanless model. Thicker allows a larger battery and thus a longer battery life. The last is where it gets seriously practical. I have yet to figure out why Apple doesn't offer a thicker model whose only difference is a thicker case to hold a larger battery.

The sort of thinness that Apple is apparently attempting to achieve makes sense only if you have a Swiss-knife view of a laptop, meaning that you expect it to do double duty as a knife to slice bread.

Go buy a fat pc and leave us alone.

• Reply 30 of 69
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    philboogie wrote: »
    lol

Indeed. Thank you.
  • Reply 31 of 69
    philboogie wrote: »

Dude you fail. That's not a Retina 13" MBP.
    GEEZ.
  • Reply 32 of 69
    flux8flux8 Posts: 12member
    Quote:

[RANT, RANT, RANT]

Why are you complaining about a non-existent product?  You have no idea what the finalized specs will be, so why not wait?

And BTW, the computer you want already exists:  the MacBook Pro 13.  Some of us want to see how far Apple can push the thinness and lightness of a MacBook.  12+ hours of battery life is hardly a sacrifice.  :rolleyes:

• Reply 33 of 69

I think the thinner these things get the less productive they become. Not like the old Macbook Pros of 2013. I've owned Mac products forever but a co-worker showed me the chromebook and I laughed but I used it for a few days and for what I do it was perfect. I noticed it automatically synced with my goog account as soon as I got near it.

I guess I wont get to see what the new 12" Air offers as I just jumped ship. Sorry but know days I need to save money and the cost of just one of my Apple products can purchase everything I need. I will never speak bad about Apple products but the price point needs to come down. Dont tell me they're built better because I know that but I still have an old Windows XP laptop that is rock solid.

Over the years I could say I've purchased enough Apple products to purchase a car as I updated every time the new stuff came out.

• Reply 34 of 69
    go faster wrote: »
    I think the thinner these things get the less productive they become. Not like the old Macbook Pros of 2013. I've owned Mac products forever but a co-worker showed me the chromebook and I laughed but I used it for a few days and for what I do it was perfect. I noticed it automatically synced with my goog account as soon as I got near it.
    I guess I wont get to see what the new 12" Air offers as I just jumped ship. Sorry but know days I need to save money and the cost of just one of my Apple products can purchase everything I need. I will never speak bad about Apple products but the price point needs to come down. Dont tell me they're built better because I know that but I still have an old Windows XP laptop that is rock solid.
    Over the years I could say I've purchased enough Apple products to purchase a car as I updated every time the new stuff came out.

Vedy interesting.
    Did you also jump ship on iDevices?
  • Reply 35 of 69
    Quote:

So, given your usability IQ, I assume this is a GREAT phone.

Here is a simple truth.  most people want smaller lighter computers.  Most as in everyone who doesn't game or compile or crunch quantometric analytics.   volume usually means weight. weight equals cost.  less weight, lower overall cost of ownership (shipping, lugging, medical, damage [mass*9.8M/sec^2)= damage].

Thicker doesn't mean sturdier... it's means bulkier.  Thicker means it's easier to design structure to improve rigidity,Larger venting doesn't mean better cooling.   Classic Engineering problem.  The more bulk you add, the more you're supporting the bulk you added.  The goal is to minimize weight and structure to cost balance miniming the risk of failure at the operating extremes, while maximizing usefulness at nominal operating conditions.   Welcome to Design.  Anyone can engineer a laptop.  Few 'design' them for a the critical few jobs they perform.

Thinness means less obtrusive.  The remaining job for laptops is to bring a large scale computing device into a meeting/classroom situation without power cords, latches, loud fans, and just compute.  Stuck between a folio and a notepad, easily carried throughout the working day.

People want smaller bags.   A huge padded laptop bag is so 90's.  Slipping laptop in a protective sheath and putting it in a thin messenger bag

is better than hiking around with 4 lbs of computer in a Himalayan RuckSack, or a overnight bag sized 'brief' case (you know what 'briefs' are...  small reports).

As for larger batteries.  The current MBAs have huge operating windows.  If you need more than 9 hours of battery time, I can only assume you're doing it wrong, or using the wrong tool (Apple sells a nice 10" retina device that has a longer operating window).

Design the device for the single largest market space.  Not for all market spaces.

• Reply 36 of 69
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    inkling wrote: »
    I attach little value to impressing strangers at coffee shops. It pays no bills and strikes me as mere vanity. And I'll find other ways to charm pretty girls.

Laptops and software are tools. I want them to be good and effective tools. I'd be delighted to trade another 1/8-inch thickness for several more hours of battery life.

'Thin is stupid' is even more true with iPhones. There, Apple devotes an extraordinary amount of time shaving a tiny fraction of an inch off a beautiful case. Then what do most users do? Because that case offers no real protection, they buy a third-party case for it, making their beautiful iPhone look like every other smartphone. A smarter Apple would have several models that do what the public will do aftermarket anyway. They'd have a rugged sport model and a bit thicker extended life model. Smartphones are like shoes. One (or two) models don't fit everyone.

I'm delighted that this new MBA with getting a Retina screen and perhaps settling on 12-inches. I'm disgusted that this silly artsy-fartsy (a term I learned in engineering at the same school Tim Cook attended) obsession with thin may mean fewer ports. My brother-in-law has the latest MBA and it already has too-few ports. Less would be even worse. Less would mean traveling cluttered with a USB hub and ethernet converter and gosh only knows what else. If thin is stupid, less is really stupid.

No one seems to be asking a question that really matters. Apple's obsession with thin goes poorly with its current big white brick of a AC power supply. If they really want to make the new MBA light and portable, they'll ship it with a power supply like the Kickstarter Dart:

http://finsix.com/dart/

I've nothing against small and light. I simply believe it should be applied intelligently not out of vanity. That means a far smaller power supply. It doesn't mean making an already thin case even thinner and slashing a MBA's already too-few ports.

You're not the target market. You aren't disposed to see, or better, feel the pleasurable aspects of having so much power in your fingertips, rather than in your hands. The Air is about fingertips, something your good ol' boys in engineering will never get. It's tactile, sensual and . . . well, the rest would be better left unsaid.

So it's useless to rail against artfulness that's out of your bailiwick. The part about showing off in public out of vanity, I agree with you. That's something we all should grow out of.
  • Reply 37 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Go Faster View Post

Apple isn't selling to you. For the job you need, XP is great for you.  And google's model works for you.  Great.   You've proven that Apple isn't forcing/monopolizing the computing market.

• Reply 38 of 69
    inklinginkling Posts: 773member
    Quote:

Go buy a fat PC and leave us alone.

Apple fanboys are so amusing. If Apple advertising shifted to "fat is the new thin," within hours they'd be all excited about Apple's new thick models and attacking the champions of "but I like thin." Remember when colorful, candy-like plastic iMacs were the thing? Then white plastic, followed by natural metallic colors. Now it's anodized metal. Read the last pages of George Orwell's 1984 for the political equivalent.

I've never understood excessive loyalty, least of all to a giant corporation. It makes no sense to take what they dish out passively, much less excitedly. Know what you need and insist that they create it. Have you own tastes.

• Reply 39 of 69
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member

You might want to compare the current 13" rMBP, as it's noticeably thinner than what's shown above. Not to mention with a different distribution of interface ports on the side.

• Reply 40 of 69
    steveh wrote: »
    You might want to compare the current 13" rMBP, as it's noticeably thinner than what's shown above. Not to mention with a different distribution of interface ports on the side.

Thank you.