iPhone 6 & 6 Plus demand exceeding supply, iPhone 5s selling well as Apple dominates smartphone sale

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) Nice to see the iPhone 5S in top of 2 slots on the last 3 quarters after it's no longer a new device.

2) Glad to see LG and HTC getting a little taste of the top 3 positions.

tmay wrote: »
    Who here would bet that Apple re-engineers the next iPhone to completely eliminate those weak spots? Not saying they need it, just that Apple will figure a way to improve the iPhone structure for next year to put a kibosh on those jokers.

Perhaps, if they feel pressure to have the unbendable device even if it's well past what normal use bending like it is now. Personally I hope they don't waste their time, money and effort to essentially add strength to something that needs which may result in a heavier device, smaller battery, and/or any number of other negatives for the consumer.
  • Reply 22 of 68
    lkrupp wrote: »

I think you just covered all the troll talking points. They are getting more desperate these days aren’t they?

The "bendgate = DOOM" concern trolls are conspicuously absent from this thread. They consciously know they are trolling. They know it. I don't expect mea culpa. They just come back for the next "-gate".
  • Reply 23 of 68
    lkrupp wrote: »

I think you just covered all the troll talking points. They are getting more desperate these days aren’t they?

But...but...octa-core!
  • Reply 24 of 68
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    And where's the 5C? More proof Apple is doomed! /s
  • Reply 25 of 68
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    thompr wrote: »
    I believe that the 179M units in calendar 2014 is accurate.  It would require that the first 3 Qs only averaged 38.67M units, and I think that's correct.

I have been reading too many articles on the 6 I completely forgot there are other, older iPhones being sold as well. Hence my reading failure on the numbers, as I added to my original post.

Yup, the 179M estimate could very well turn out to be true. Staggering numbers.
  • Reply 26 of 68

I can't imagine being a cell phone store owner, and running out of stock of these... The lost potential... a few extra days of having these in stock when no one else did would enable an early retirement.

• Reply 27 of 68
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Eyewateringly impressive.

Every year.
  • Reply 28 of 68
    The top 3 phones are all iphones, really!! The 5S has that less then 720p screen that's only 4 inches, the 6 has that 720p screen that sucks, and if the 6+ is so special it should have a 4k screen vs 2k other but it only has a bendable 1080p!!!
  • Reply 29 of 68
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The best part is the iPhone 5s being in the top 3. 

Yes, because despite just saving $100, it suggests that many people may actually PREFER the smaller form factor, giving continued hope that a 6 mini will come out next year to replace it, when it gets bumped down to the 5SC.

The 5C format having started at the $100 price point, means that phone only gets 3 years of life/support following its release, rather than the usual 4 years. My feeling is that Apple planned for that when re-designing the 5C which supports both ApplePay and Peer to Peer AirPlay along with the 5S while having lesser features. That should give it an extra year of life after it falls off the free rung next year (i.e. two software updates after it's discontinued instead of one). The 5S should be easily transplantable into the 5C case to give Apple at least one more year of life out of the R&D that went into the 5C like every other iPhone, and giving Apple another year to roll out Apple Pay before needing to include NFC in every phone they make (something which should also be easy to do concealed inside a plastic case.

• Reply 30 of 68
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

when it gets bumped down to the 5SC.

No, that’s not how it works. It would’ve been the 5SC this year, but wasn’t. It’ll still be the 5S next year. The 6 falls where the 5S is now.

The 5S should be easily transplantable into the 5C case

WHY?! They didn’t do it this year; they’re not going to do it.

• Reply 31 of 68

You guys forgot these other trolling points...2gb ram, removable battery and removable sd card.  Lets see..what else... oh...

- 64 bit a joke - what's a tagged pointer?  who knows who cares?

- ApplePay already 2 years old - doesn't work for Android, won't work for AAPL.  I know.. I used it once at a Carl's Jr.  once..

- Everyone's catching on to the fingerprint thing - it's just on the back.. and you have to swipe your fingers.

• Reply 32 of 68
    The 6 falls where the 5S is now.

It does, but maybe they will see a need for a 4" device with updated internals to make up the mid-tier next year.
  • Reply 33 of 68
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    This forum rally could use an IQ test before allowing basement posters to join.

solipsismx wrote: »
    The 6 falls where the 5S is now.

It does, but maybe they will see a need for a 4" device with updated internals to make up the mid-tier next year.

I would love that!
  • Reply 34 of 68
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Possibly. Wish they’d just rename the dang thing and get it over with.

• Reply 35 of 68
    Possibly. Wish they’d just rename the dang thing and get it over with.

They aren't exactly consistent who knows what they'll do.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They aren’t exactly consistent…

That just proves they’ll drop the numbers next year. Because they’ve never done it before! :p

• Reply 37 of 68
    That just proves they’ll drop the numbers next year. Because they’ve never done it before! :p

Your joke might be more realistic than you imagine.
  • Reply 38 of 68
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

There is a strange irony that the 5s is selling well not only due to the reduced price but due to those who still prefer the 4" screen Apple appear to have caught anyone who has slipped through the iPhone 6 net.

• Reply 39 of 68
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmay View Post

Who here would bet that Apple re-engineers the next iPhone to completely eliminate those weak spots? Not saying they need it, just that Apple will figure a way to improve the iPhone structure for next year to put a kibosh on those jokers.

iPhone 6C to replace 6+ next year. I don't think Apple will do anything to change it since they already proved that it's really rare to bend it under normal usage. 

• Reply 40 of 68
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

But...but...octa-core!

But...but...Samsung figures out how to make all cores work at the same time instead of 4 cores at a time...well sort of...not really.