Europeans wary of smartwatch e-wallets, Americans & Chinese more open ahead of Apple Watch launch

Comments

• Reply 81 of 114
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,299member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Europeans have better taste than Americans or Asians. I would choose Swissmade over a Casio clone anytime too.
    ROTFLMAO!!! Casio clone?

OK, at least you're useful for providing a mid-afternoon laugh, thanks I needed that!
  • Reply 82 of 114
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dachar View Post

For those using the London Underground in the UK, you can now use a contactless payment card. When using Contactless payment cards you will be charged an adult-rate pay as you go fare, the same as the London Underground contactless Oyster. How convenient it would be if travellers could use an Apple Watch to pay.

That would be great: going through pay points my hands seem to be always full of things I have to juggle...

At some point that may happen: we've a toll road system here on the east coast w which is accepted by multiple toll road agencies across state lines. Called EZ-Pass. With the one windshield transponder I can travel across multiple states using toll roads and toll bridges all without paying cash anywhere and in a number of roads without even slowing down from full highway speed.

The one public rail system that I know of that uses a contactless card is Washington D.C.'s.

• Reply 83 of 114
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 838member
    scottyo wrote: »
    As a Comcast ISP customer, I just this morning switched to using checks to pay them, because their $#% website regularly fails with Safari on 10.6.8. Has done so for 3 years; they been promising to fix it for 3 years. Last month I had to argue for 10 minutes on the phone to get them to waive a $5.95 "convenience fee" for paying by phone when the website kept looping back to the same page on one phase of the transaction, no error message anywhere on-screen.

They're my ISP and they're the only website I deal with regularly that can't handle Safari! I REALLY hate Comcast.

Thank you, I feel better now.

I heard it's really easy to leave them.... Hahahahaha
  • Reply 84 of 114
    Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

You are aware that Europe brought you Spotify, Angry Birds, Skype… …Clash of Clans…

You’re making Hitler’s case for him.

• Reply 85 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Soooo you obviously have electricity then too? Cool! image

BTW I assume I can still play for Yorkshire, even though I am an American Citizen now ... right?

You could play cricket for Yorkshire CC as can anyone now-a-days as they gave up the Yorkshire born rule in 1992.  They have a rather good team at present and won the 2014 Division 1 County Championship.

We've had electricity for a year or two now! :-)  Unfortunately we also have far too many wind turbines to go with it.

• Reply 86 of 114
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

No duh.

So backwards and behind the times.  Most Euro's still pay bills by check or cash.

Bullshit.  I eagerly await your justification for such a brazen lie, and misuse of an apostrophe.

• Reply 87 of 114
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You’re making Hitler’s case for him.

Classy, saving us all the trouble of working our way towards Godwin by jumping straight in there.  Very noble.

• Reply 88 of 114
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

[what is humor]

At least you’re consistent.

• Reply 89 of 114
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

If the card swipe works. Depending on the card reader, my card has to sometimes be swiped 2 or 3 times to work. With most it works fine on the 1st swipe so I think the card is fine; some readers suck, especially the cheap ones (Square is especially bad.)

You don't have to swipe with chip and PIN.

• Reply 90 of 114
    Quote:

At least you’re consistent.

Not funny.  But in other news...

You can't read.

SHUT UP AND GO AWAY.

Generic non-sequitur.

• Reply 91 of 114
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

[I fail to grasp the irony that I see posts as non-sequiturs when I don’t bother reading them in the first place]

Aww, that’s cute.

• Reply 92 of 114

As cute as making up responses to satisfy your own ego, I suppose.

Btw, that post you just made, that's an exercise in irony, since it claims to be observing irony, yet has no grasp of the concept.  Well done, you've graduate to Alanis Morisette cum-laureate.

• Reply 93 of 114

Maybe just read posts before replying to them and you won’t embarrass yourself like this. It’s all you seem to care about doing these days, though.

• Reply 94 of 114
    chiachia Posts: 714member
    sflagel wrote: »
    I am always surprised that people say "still" pay with cash. What is wrong with cash? It doesn't weigh anything, it is easy to manage

Not when you're a business dealing with thousands of notes and coins.
    There's the extra cost of counting, sorting, storing, transporting and securing large quantities of money.
    In contrast it's just as easy to electronically transfer 500,000 euros as it is 500 euros.
  • Reply 95 of 114
    Quote:

Maybe just read posts before replying to them and you won’t embarrass yourself like this. It’s all you seem to care about doing these days, though.

Maybe think up a new schtick.  You're becoming incessantly boring with this rubbish.

Point out what I didn't read.  Go on.

Idiot.

• Reply 96 of 114
    True. Good point, especially coins are a pain. Still many shops prefer cash than paying 3.5% credit card fee. Taxes probably play a role too.
  • Reply 97 of 114
    chia wrote: »
    Not when you're a business dealing with thousands of notes and coins.
    There's the extra cost of counting, sorting, storing, transporting and securing large quantities of money.
    In contrast it's just as easy to electronically transfer 500,000 euros as it is 500 euros.

True. Good point.
  • Reply 98 of 114
    Says the guy from the country* that's only one of two in the world to not adopt the metric system...:lol:

*It's mine too.

Says the guy from the country that:
    Invented flight
    Went to the moon
    Built the first atomic bomb
    Created the first silicon microprocessor
    Created the iPhone
    :)
  • Reply 99 of 114
    Says the guy from the country* that's only one of two in the world to not adopt the metric system...:lol:

*It's mine too.

Says the guy from the country that:
    Invented flight
    Went to the moon
    Built the first atomic bomb
    Created the first silicon microprocessor
    Created the iPhone
    :)

You win.
  • Reply 100 of 114
    sflagel wrote: »
    You are aware that Europe brought you Spotify, Angry Birds, Skype, Netscape, Clash of Clans, and the entire mobile telephony industry rests on the shoulders of Nokia and Ericsson?

Ummmm... Actually--without going through your list, Netscape originated at the University of Illinois. Marc Andreesen was one of the co-authors of the Mosaic web browser while a student at the U of I, before moving to Silicon Valley where he was a co-founder of the company that commercialized Netscape Navigator.

Certainly there have been technology innovations that originated in Europe, but you might want to check your list a bit more closely next time. Cheers!