Yves Behar's iPhone-controlled August Smart Lock arrives in Apple Stores

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by netrox View Post

it's so ridiculous, why not just use a fingerprint scanner? It's faster, more accurate, and more convenient since you don't need iphone or anything for that matter.

You are missing the point.

Hint: the iPhone

But sure, a fingerprint scanner might be a simpler solution for some, and for most, the mechanical oak and key has worked fine for a very long time. 

I read about a lock & key project that I really liked quite a while back. The differentiator was that any Yale type key could be used as long as it was approved (hence iPhone connectivity). So your cleaner could input his or her own key for his or her own home and you could then 'approve' that key for certain days, or whatever. Likewise, if a friend came to stay you could 'approve' their own key for the duration of the stay. I liked that it remained key based, but that any key could used. It was in early development and the tech probably was too complicated. 

• Reply 22 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenoz View Post

Being locked out of your apartment because your batteries are weak is not cool. In fact, it would probably cause your neighbors to snicker as they unlock their door with a key.

I'm sure in its packaging, and placement in an Apple Store, this product would look cool. But when you arrive home without your keys, six months down the road... ?

(BTW, your dog may be trying to tell you something.)

My dog would never lift its leg on me.

• Reply 23 of 51
    Originally Posted by no25 View Post

Who makes the iPhone?

Not this company.

• Reply 24 of 51
    no25no25 Posts: 16member

Not this company

Who makes iOS
  • Reply 25 of 51
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,276member

I'm very hesitant to buy anything like this from a company that is small enough to be bought by Google (a la Nest). 

There is no way I'm handing the keys to my house over to Google (and whoever the highest bidder is for Google to turn over my information). 

• Reply 26 of 51
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

Not sure how that would stand up to the 'lumphammer test'.

I'll stick with Yale for now I think

You DO realize that this is on the INSIDE of the home, don’t you.

• Reply 27 of 51
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

The exterior looks like a normal deadbolt key slot:

http://www.august.com

Why is there so much misunderstanding about this product? The whole attraction is that you REUSE YOUR EXISTING deadlock. Only the inside turn lever is replaced by this product. This is NOT a complete replacement lockset. The product is on the inside of your home, not the outside.

• Reply 28 of 51
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Way too expensive. Just because it says Apple on it you don't have to overcharge everybody for it

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

And yet it doesn't say APPLE on it...

Quote:

Who makes the iPhone?

Oh, BUURRRNN! Man, you sure got him there. I mean sure, it doesn't say APPLE on it like you asserted, but hey, Apple makes the iPhone, a completely different product, and that's exactly the same thing! Same difference!

jfc1138 didn't see that one coming, you certainly put him in his place. Nevermind the fact that this product isn't even exclusive to iPhones, and also works with Android phones. Nope, doesn't matter! 

ITS EXPENSIVE CAUSE IT SAYS APPLE ON IT- BUT EVEN IF IT DOESNT, APPLE MAKES THE IPHONE SO....THERE!

What the **** is wrong with you? I honestly wonder how some of you trolls even manage to get up in the morning. You're incapable of admitting you were factually wrong when called out, so instead you shift the argument to something completely non-sensical and irrelevant, and somehow decide it's a good idea to make such an idiotic post.  Hey, let me try your game:

HUMANS HAVE 6 ARMS!

Uh, no they don't. 

YEAH BUT WHO MAKES THE IPHONE??

Hmm, I guess you have a point. Well played. 

• Reply 29 of 51

Not. This. Company.

Have a clue what you’re talking about before spewing random nonsense.

EDIT: And of course Slurpy does what I’m now afraid to. Kudos.

• Reply 30 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I'm very hesitant to buy anything like this from a company that is small enough to be bought by Google (a la Nest). 

There is no way I'm handing the keys to my house over to Google (and whoever the highest bidder is for Google to turn over my information). 

After Nest that certainly is a concern :(

• Reply 31 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not. This. Company.

Have a clue what you’re talking about before spewing random nonsense.

EDIT: And of course Slurpy does what I’m now afraid to. Kudos.

But Slurpy and yourself know exactly what he means, right? So give the guy a rest, already. Or at least argue the point he obviously is trying to make even if you have to work a little to figure out what it is. Kudos for lambasting a guy fora little mis-step?  :no:

• Reply 32 of 51
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

But Slurpy and yourself know exactly what he means, right?

No. This has nothing to do with Apple. If a bunch of idiots think they can get more money for something because it has iOS support, they’ll go bankrupt watching their competitors sell the same product for less.

• Reply 33 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No. This has nothing to do with Apple. If a bunch of idiots think they can get more money for something because it has iOS support, they’ll go bankrupt watching their competitors sell the same product for less.

That's how I read his complaint - that they were charging too much just because it was Apple related. The complaint seems misguided because if he had bothered to check it out he'd see that it is also Android compatible, but the fact that is exclusively physically available at the Apple store could have fuelled his fire. 

Like Nest products, this is a very expensive product and is aimed squarely at the upper geeky end of the market. Personally I really like it and what it does, and I even like the look of it, but I just don't need it. 

• Reply 34 of 51
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You DO realize that this is on the INSIDE of the home, don’t you.

His concern of strength is valid though. If you bought a Yale deadbolt and threw away the inside half replacing it with this smart lock, any warranty for strength of the lock would be void. The inside half of a traditional deadbolt contributes significantly to the overall strength of the unit as the two halves are fastened together. If you notice in the exploded diagram the thin metal plate with much shorter screws does not appear at first glance to be anywhere near as heavy duty as the original interior half of a traditional deadbolt. But it is irrelevant because usually the weak link in this type of lock is the jamb side.

The other brands of smart lock replaced inside and out, with LEDs on the outside.

• Reply 35 of 51
    creepcreep Posts: 80member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

That's just the thing.  I don't think this lock collects any information.  As far as I can tell, it uses Bluetooth as the key instead of a brass key...except you can still use your existing brass key.  There is no wifi connectivity, so you can't control it via Z-Wave or anything like that.  It's just an electronic standalone device.  I can't see Google wanting to buy this company because it really doesn't seem to allow them to collect any information.

• Reply 36 of 51

All you need to take it down is a decent sledgehammer.

Not impressed at all by the design.

• Reply 37 of 51
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    http://www.august.com/phoneshttp://www.august.com/phonesQuote:

Who makes the iPhone?

Not the same people that make, and price, the lock. Hence, no doubt, why "Apple" isn't the name on the lock.

And you WERE concerned about the lock's price  right? 

"Originally Posted by no25 View Post

Way too expensive. Just because it says Apple on it you don't have to overcharge everybody for it"

Oddly enough:

"

Compatible Android Devices

Compatible with many Android phones equipped with Bluetooth 4.0 and running Android 4.4 (KitKat) or later, including:

• LG Nexus 4

• Motorola Moto X

• Samsung Galaxy S4

• Samsung Gala"

•  

• Reply 38 of 51
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Oh, BUURRRNN! Man, you sure got him there. I mean sure, it doesn't say APPLE on it like you asserted, but hey, Apple makes the iPhone, a completely different product, and that's exactly the same thing! Same difference!

jfc1138 didn't see that one coming, you certainly put him in his place. Nevermind the fact that this product isn't even exclusive to iPhones, and also works with Android phones. Nope, doesn't matter! 

ITS EXPENSIVE CAUSE IT SAYS APPLE ON IT- BUT EVEN IF IT DOESNT, APPLE MAKES THE IPHONE SO....THERE!

What the **** is wrong with you? I honestly wonder how some of you trolls even manage to get up in the morning. You're incapable of admitting you were factually wrong when called out, so instead you shift the argument to something completely non-sensical and irrelevant, and somehow decide it's a good idea to make such an idiotic post.  Hey, let me try your game:

HUMANS HAVE 6 ARMS!

Uh, no they don't. 

YEAH BUT WHO MAKES THE IPHONE??

Hmm, I guess you have a point. Well played. 

[sarcasm] Feeling much shame.... [/sarcasm]*

Edited to add the clarification

*Keith Olbermann homage

• Reply 39 of 51
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Feeling much shame....

Oh no, not you; he just wanted to quote the whole conversation.

• Reply 40 of 51
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member

This lock actuator is well thought out and interesting as far as it goes, but it's missing one feature that's now about to become useful: NFC.