Yves Behar's iPhone-controlled August Smart Lock arrives in Apple Stores

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

This lock actuator is well thought out and interesting as far as it goes, but it's missing one feature that's now about to become useful: NFC.

Unless the low energy Bluetooth acted as a proximity detector. Then with the added range of LEBt you wouldn't have to swing your butt, or your purse or briefcase, at the lock to get it to recognize you and open which the much shorter range NFC would require (I've worked ion places with NFC door locks, the ones where the pad is more than hip pocket high are a nuisance for hands occupied opening)

IIRC some of these also have geofencing awareness: hence you can be INSIDE and not unlock the door while when outside, it will unlock. Which would be an especially necessary security feature if it does proximity so you don't inadvertently unlock the door just by carrying your phone from the kitchen to the living room....

I like it's compatible with my existing keys, having a "special" hard key for the front door would be a pain when every other door is keyed to a master pattern.

• Reply 42 of 51

Partnership with Apple?

Expect them to declare bankruptcy in due course.

• Reply 43 of 51
    for everyone here complaining that the cost is too high, or because it's that high because it's an apple exclusive price all of you make me laugh..

i ask or i should just suppose that none of you have the numeric security door locks that alarm companies install at people's homes, or that a home owner can install themselves..

those locks cost on average $279.99 and use 4 double A batteries..
  • Reply 44 of 51
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Partnership with Apple?

Expect them to declare bankruptcy in due course.

And on cue, in barges the filthy resident troll, with..wait for it..a snarky, mocking, negative comment based on extracting and magnifying one outlier situation, and using it to apply it to anyone dealing with Apple until the end of time- even though Apple has had hundreds of successful acquisitions and partnerships, past and present.  

(Nevermind that there is no partnership at all here, but this troll never lets facts affect his posts)

• Reply 45 of 51
    lualua Posts: 7member
    as with all yves behar's design, it's all style, exorbitantly expensive, mainly to generate enough revenue to offset their marketing campaigns to mask what actually is of little substance and functionality.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    I've never had a door where the deadbolt perfectly lined up. I always have to push on the door at least a little in order to set the bolt. Someone needs to create a smart door first, something that neither sags nor warps.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Gramze View Post

I've never had a door where the deadbolt perfectly lined up. I always have to push on the door at least a little in order to set the bolt. Someone needs to create a smart door first, something that neither sags nor warps.

Glad you said this because right now the way my front door is hung it's anything but smooth.  I'm probably going to have to replace the Deadbolt with something much more smooth and make sure the door is aligned as well as possible.  This thing's motor can't be that strong. 

• Reply 48 of 51
    I pre-ordered this product well over a year ago. About the same time I ordered the Coin card. Because of the unbelievably shoddy communications and horrendously poor response to emails (I had to get the person who manages their Facebook page to prod the hall desk into checking their email) I recently cancelled my Coin order.

Starting to stock retail shelves before fulfilling all of their preorders is a big mistake. At the very least, they should consider the idea of issuing mail in rebate forms to allow pre-order customers to purchase in the store and get the $50 for committing to buy which allowed Mr. Behar to demonstrate demand and fund his project.

A rebate program or (better yet) a $50 off coupon for pre-order customers would allow August to keep their promise to pre-order customers while also driving sales for their retail partner and saving August the time and expense of shipping individual locks.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lua View Post

as with all yves behar's design, it's all style, exorbitantly expensive, mainly to generate enough revenue to offset their marketing campaigns to mask what actually is of little substance and functionality.

A quick search shows a number of similar locks that look similar and have about the same price points.

As to functionality: as someone who often approaches my door with my hands full a proximity unlock would be a useful feature. Frankly one I had over twenty-five  years ago at a  former institution where the near field door pads were located just about at hip height: meaning I could get a read off my wallet RFID card while my hands were full of equipment or supplies and still gain entry.

• Reply 50 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phowson View Post

I pre-ordered this product well over a year ago. ...

Starting to stock retail shelves before fulfilling all of their preorders is a big mistake. At the very least, they should consider the idea of issuing mail in rebate forms to allow pre-order customers to purchase in the store and get the $50 for committing to buy which allowed Mr. Behar to demonstrate demand and fund his project.

A rebate program or (better yet) a $50 off coupon for pre-order customers would allow August to keep their promise to pre-order customers while also driving sales for their retail partner and saving August the time and expense of shipping individual locks.

Excellent suggestion!  I too am one of those pre-order customers who committed to August and have been waiting months but now see that they have little integrity, blowing off their own commitments to their early adopters/supporters.  As much as I love your suggestion, I doubt they would do such a thing because they have to already be offering lower wholesale pricing to Apple, and so giving up that additional $50 would likely cut too far into their profit margin.