Apple to debut 27" Retina iMac at Oct. 16 event, next-gen iPad Air supply to be limited

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Lets hope Apple's live stream won't need to be accompanied by a live stream of invective.

Better for a lot of people to just skip the live streams and follow the announcements on twitter or a blog.

Invectives are very distracting. If people hear a slam on another company or competitor's product, they are more inclined to wonder why the person is slamming the other company and seem like the other product may have something compelling. It's a total distraction.

Steve Jobs seemed to throw a few body slams, but they were quick and he seemed to quickly move on to what Apple had to offer.

Anyway, many of us have stopped watching the live streams. They seem dull and presenters can't smile like fools and talk about how great their product is when there are issues that seem to be ignored or worsened (Podcast app for one).

• Reply 42 of 52
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Great - this will be an iMac , Yosemite event. The iPad news should take 2 minutes.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    oberpongo wrote: »
    23 Megapixel ??? That is huge. What dpi is that at 27". I think they will go with 30"
    Why is 30" better?

27" is also the current size of the Thunderbolt Display. Obviously the iMac and Thunderbolt Display share a lot in common. Both are likely to get this upgrade, whether 27" or 30".
  • Reply 44 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by virtua View Post

The article also has the obligatory "it'll be in short supply'

Think one of apples strengths is that they don't do short supply at launch! Cook seems to have that one covered.

Tell that to the people still waiting, will be waiting, for their iPhone 6 Plus.

• Reply 45 of 52
    mac_128 wrote: »
    oberpongo wrote: »
    23 Megapixel ??? That is huge. What dpi is that at 27". I think they will go with 30"
    Why is 30" better?

Because 3 inches more makes all the difference¿
    27" is also the current size of the Thunderbolt Display. Obviously the iMac and Thunderbolt Display share a lot in common. Both are likely to get this upgrade, whether 27" or 30".

It would be great if they offered a larger than 27" TB display. I'm still using the 30" ACD, and would love to own a bigger one, 32"-36".
  • Reply 46 of 52
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    Anyone w
    canukstorm wrote: »
    Tell that to the people still waiting, will be waiting, for their iPhone 6 Plus.
    im typing on mine:) here in the uk i think getting one launch day is no problem.....and i think its reasonable to think in these terms posting on ai...
    and an ipad isnt like an iphone launch in scale....i picked up an air queing for only an hour in regent street at launch...not a problem on launch day. order or buy past launch...sure youll have to wait a bit.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Will buy 5K iMac from Adorama when in channel. iPad limited because of sapphire Touch ID? Hope Air loses chamfered edge which looked dated to me a few weeks after its release.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

None of the current rumors about the iPad Air get me all that excited. The top of the list for me would be the higher resolution coupled with the A8x. I'm hoping Apple surprises with unexpected graphics power prowess or some new screen technology. There's too much "iPad growth stagnating" verbiage online and hopefully Apple feels the need to be aggressive to reignite interest. The iPhone 6+ is going to replace iPads for some, not necessarily a good thing.

If it's just a little bit thinner and a little bit faster, the Apple haters will take to the web in droves to share new rumors of Apple's demise.

The iMac is pretty exciting. I hope it's priced aggressively.

Something else is in the mix. I haven't read anything online that makes me go AHA! regarding Apple's tagline, "It's been way too long." Even more intriguing is the fact that the logo is outlined in the original Apple logo colors.

Maybe they managed to keep secret something really cool and unexpected.

iPad growth has stagnated.  Doesn't necessarily mean it's doomed but it's not the star it once was.  Best article I've read so far regarding this, is this one;

http://stratechery.com/2014/diminished-ipad/

• Reply 49 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The discrete GPGPUs will have to be quite impressive.

Indeed; and if they are, my money is on a new iMac regardless of cost.

• Reply 50 of 52
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Because 3 inches more makes all the difference¿

It would be great if they offered a larger than 27" TB display. I'm still using the 30" ACD, and would love to own a bigger one, 32"-36".

Well, I don't see Apple initially offering a TB Display in a size different that the largest iMac. That said, why do we assume the new iMac will match the existing 27" size? Perhaps Apple is planning to up the screen size to 30-32"? Then considering Apple is all about offering multiple size offerings in its devices, I can see them adding a larger screen size to at least the TB display next year.

• Reply 51 of 52
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    If 5K iMacs & Thunderbolt Displays are near, what about a real Apple TV? It has been "Way too long" that rumors of an Apple TV have been floating around.