CBS All Access offers on-demand & live streaming content for $5.99 per month

Comments

• Reply 41 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Not at these prices.    It only works if you want to watch only one or two networks.    Let's say all the networks do this and charge the same $6 a month.   You subscribe to CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox and let's say just four basic cable channels: take your pick, but one example might be AMC, FX, Comedy and SciFi.     Now you're up to $48 a month.   Add just one sports and one news channel and you're up to $60 a month and you still have to pay someone for access to the web.   If your access to the web is via your cable company, if their cable revenue goes down, they'll simply raise their ISP prices.     So in the end you'll be paying more than you're paying for those 200 channels today.   And that's aside from the fact that each channel is going to be a separate URL or app.

But "cutting the cord" is such a mantra and the hip thing to do, that they'll probably get some math-impaired people to go for it.

I've always maintained that the current cable model, with ever increasing prices because of the demands of the cable networks is unsustainable and that the industry needs to go to al-a-carte pricing.   The big sports stations, for example, charge hefty fees per subscriber, even if any given subscriber never watches the channel.    This is why cable is so expensive.     But the reality is that if they did, anyone taking more than just a handful of stations would probably wind up paying far more than they pay today.    

So I don't think anyone has found a model that works for the content providers, the distributors (like the MSOs) and consumers, and they probably won't because everyone is greedy.    If someone like Apple is eventually able to do it, it will only be because they'll be willing to lose money at it. 

Cable feels like a ripoff at the same time, despite the economy of scale to package 200 channels together.

It would be nice to know how much Comcast is making. Money hand over fist, of course.

This breakup may be a way of chipping away at the power of Comcast. When corporations get too big, they get too weird and customers are completely powerless in getting improvements in service. For instance, I ended up on an HP mailing list. When I went to unsubscribe, they said it would take around 24 hours! Any other service you unsubscribe, it's pretty much immediate. Why? Probably because of the HP behemoth.

It would be nice to be able to create or buy small packages of channels. Like 10 channels, as you wish, for $40 or so. That would be handy and work for a lot of people. So, being logical, it probably won't happen.

• Reply 42 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I think the SLAMDUNK is if Apple can make a deal with the NFL to offer all NFL games on iOS/Mac/AppleTV

Google  was already in talks to making that deal when it expires.

Looks like someone already found out what is happening.

NFL extended their deal with DirecTV.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11624442/nfl-extends-sunday-ticket-deal-directv

• Reply 43 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

If they say it's available only on iDevices I'll change my opinion, but the truth is that there's a plethora of streaming devices that will get this including desktop computers. CBS is doing this because people are changing their viewing habits, not because Apple negotiated it.

This. Non of it will only be iDevices. It'll be, and already is, cross platform.

• Reply 44 of 101
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

But the logo seems to be a finger hovering over something to touch...

Something that isn't flat, unlike every Apple multi-touch device.  I'm pretty sure that that isn't a hidden message in the event promo.

• Reply 45 of 101
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    interdyne wrote: »
    With this and HBO's announcement, I'd say the odds of an AppleTV announcement have skyrocketed from 10% to 70% now. Can't wait to see Apple kill the cable companies. Bye bye evil monopoly.

About time - 3 years since in Isaacson's book SJ declared he'd cracked it.
  • Reply 46 of 101
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I pay for Netflix and after I finish watching the last season of The Walking Dead I'm thinking of canceling. Too few current options and life is too short to watch crappy movies.

You should at least watch House of Cards before you cancel.
  • Reply 47 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I pay for Netflix and after I finish watching the last season of The Walking Dead I'm thinking of canceling. Too few current options and life is too short to watch crappy movies.

We are finding that, like a lot of people, we don't have time to watch and might only watch Netflix once a week, which is the case now.

But it is cheap enough to hang onto to watch shows here and there.

Sometimes you feel you need to watch something to justify the cost of paying it.

Household size matters: We have five people and it's likely each of us watches NF a least once a week.

It would be nice if NF RAISED its prices to afford better programming. It's not bad now, but there's a lot of bad stuff on there. It's "ok" as it is.

• Reply 48 of 101
    Quote:

I piggyback on my parents account as the second user. Mainly use it to watch old TV shows, like The Andy Griffith Show, Mission: Impossible, Star Trek TNG, The Twilight Zone, etc. Works well enough for that. Movie selection is pretty lousy though, most of the time I go looking I find they don't have what I want.

• Reply 49 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

About time - 3 years since in Isaacson's book SJ declared he'd cracked it.

It's probably a deal like the car dashboards that car makers are including in their cars (whatever that Apple technology is called).

It will be the AppleTV interface available via TVs sold by current manufacturers. There's already that one TV out there that has the AppleTV features.

• Reply 50 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Yes, let's do. This is all cross platform.

Just because it will be cross platform doesn't mean Apple didn't have a (significant) hand in it.  But we'll learn more in a few hours.  If Apple tosses up a slide with HBO, CBS, and a who's who of other media companies and says "we were able to ..." then that'll be evidence enough for me.

The "starting at $99" thing has me convinced that Apple TV will be featured today (I was skeptical before).  And these CBS and HBO announcements are probably not a coincidence.  But we'll see.

• Reply 51 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Just because it will be cross platform doesn't mean Apple didn't have a (significant) hand in it.  But we'll learn more in a few hours.  If Apple tosses up a slide with HBO, CBS, and a who's who of other media companies and says "we were able to ..." then that'll be evidence enough for me.

The "starting at $99" thing has me convinced that Apple TV will be featured today (I was skeptical before).  And these CBS and HBO announcements are probably not a coincidence.  But we'll see.

They've slightly tweaked the AppleTV logo on the product page now, it's more in line with the new fonts than before.

• Reply 52 of 101

I piggyback on my parents account as the second user. Mainly use it to watch old TV shows, like The Andy Griffith Show, Mission: Impossible, Star Trek TNG, The Twilight Zone, etc. Works well enough for that. Movie selection is pretty lousy though, most of the time I go looking I find they don't have what I want.

Try this... Go to YouTube and search for your movie or show, plus add "full movie" or "full show" to the search. You'll be surprised how many full length titles they have. I've watched numerous movies there, even uncensored content. I think Google has given up on monitoring their uploads.
  • Reply 53 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

It's probably a deal like the car dashboards that car makers are including in their cars (whatever that Apple technology is called).

It will be the AppleTV interface available via TVs sold by current manufacturers. There's already that one TV out there that has the AppleTV features.

I know that that was just an example and you aren't suggesting that "Apple TV for the car" is a thing, but I'd put that on my "evidence that Apple has jumped the shark top 10 list."  AAA would love that.

• Reply 54 of 101
    malax wrote: »
    I know that that was just an example and you aren't suggesting that "Apple TV for the car" is a thing, but I'd put that on my "evidence that Apple has jumped the shark top 10 list."  AAA would love that.

That would be great. I could watch Transformers: Age of Extinction, while driving at 80 mph.
  • Reply 55 of 101
    Quote:

Try this... Go to YouTube and search for your movie or show, plus add "full movie" or "full show" to the search. You'll be surprised how many full length titles they have. I've watched numerous movies there, even uncensored content. I think Google has given up on monitoring their uploads.

"Don't be evil" apparently means "don't bother trying to prevent your services from being a hotbed of piracy."  Maybe they can buy up 4chan and bittorrent.

• Reply 56 of 101
    Quote:

Yeah, but it's nice to just have it on my TV. I don't have a smart TV with YouTube capability (nor will I ever buy one, I need all the inputs my TV has) and the PS3 player stinks. Don't want to tie up my iPad watching it either. NF really isn't that expensive.

• Reply 57 of 101
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,354member
    With the HBO and CBS announcements (particularly CBS "all platforms supported" comment) it may be the reason for Google's Nexus Player announcement yesterday too. I'd imagine Apple has their own reveal today.
  • Reply 58 of 101
    malax wrote: »
    "Don't be evil" apparently means "don't bother trying to prevent your services from being a hotbed of piracy."  Maybe they can buy up 4chan and bittorrent.

"ChanTube"
  • Reply 59 of 101
    bengbeng Posts: 34member

So, we will pay Apple for the subscriptions and not the individual providers?

I don't pay a dime for the 40 channels I get now OTA.  Why do I want to waste $100/mo (thats $1200/year) for 10-15 channels that duplicate most of what I get for free?

They have the advertising model for TV that pays the bill.  Streaming that same info over the net for free should be a no brainer.  I don't understand why this isn't the model.

• Reply 60 of 101

Most likely, Apple will offer a bundled streaming platform for content providers, that will allow them to monetize their content through both iAds and the iTunes store, where the content can be purchased by season, purchased by episode, rented, or through subscription.

If the content providers offer it for free, it will be supplemented by iAds where it is possible that it will be sponsored by either an exclusive iAd buyer, or multiple iAd buyers. 

It is basically bringing sponsored television programming to an interactive platform, where the ads and programming can be customized to the audience rather than generally.