CBS All Access offers on-demand & live streaming content for $5.99 per month

Comments

• Reply 81 of 101
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    You know how Apple now allows developers to charge for app bundles? Maybe they'll allow disparate developers to sign up to jointly offer a subscription bundle!

Don't we have that already with the cable companies?
  • Reply 82 of 101
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Don't we have that already with the cable companies?

Not on your computer or Apple devices, though.
  • Reply 83 of 101
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

Could that mean there will be more than one ?TV model, perhaps a regular and advanced?

What else could it mean?  Today it's impossible to pay anything other than $99 for an Apple TV (and recently you'd get $25 back in the form of iTunes credit).  I expect that won't be the case when the Apple Store reopens this afternoon.

• Reply 84 of 101
    beng wrote: »
    The antenna people are having a field day talking about "free" TV.

I guess what's old is new again. OTA broadcasts are almost 90 yrs old, and people are acting like they've discovered something new.
  • Reply 85 of 101
    malax wrote: »
    What else could it mean?  Today it's impossible to pay anything other than $99 for an Apple TV (and recently you'd get $25 back in the form of iTunes credit).  I expect that won't be the case when the Apple Store reopens this afternoon.

Refurbs are $85
  • Reply 86 of 101
    Not on your computer or Apple devices, though.

Slingbox
  • Reply 87 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

Could that mean there will be more than one ?TV model, perhaps a regular and advanced?

Perhaps a standalone unit, and then a bundle with game controllers, if Apple decides to go that route?

• Reply 88 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Perhaps a standalone unit, and then a bundle with game controllers, if Apple decides to go that route?

Good point.  Unlikely, IMO, but certainly possible.

• Reply 89 of 101

Slingbox

How much are those?
  • Reply 90 of 101

Possibly.
  • Reply 91 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BenG View Post

You didn't say that, but you implied by saying that the channels you pay for are duplicates of what you get for free. I guess that could be true for what you watch, but you would be the exception, not the rule. Most of the top shows on cable are not being replayed anytime soon on broadcast television. Maybe old seasons, but not new content. Yes, you'll get the occasional game from ESPN on ABC since they are both owned by Disney, but that's a rarity.

• Reply 92 of 101
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,409member

This is going to take some time to work itself out. A couple of initial thoughts.

First, despite everybody's ranting, the cable companies offer a pretty compelling value. I pay about $200/ mo. for a package that includes a boatload of stations (most of which I do not watch), but no premium stations; high speed internet, phone service and 5 DVRs and cable boxes. Let's say I want to keep internet and phone, I would still pay about $70/month. So, that leaves about $130 for TV stuff to break even. If all of the networks I watch a lot costs $6 per month, I could buy the 4 networks and have about $100 left to add on. By the time I add on ESPN, Fox Sports, Yes, SNY, MSG and other sports programming, I will be behind the eightball before adding any other cable networks that I do watch.

Second, how about ease of use? Do I really want to manage twenty different subscriptions/payments and put an Apple TV or the like on each TV? Also, who will explain this to all the old people who need it? The cable box offers an easy-to-learn and use experience. 

• Reply 93 of 101
    How much are those?

The app is $14.99, and I've seen the devices as low as $49.99, and it streams directly from your cable box onto the net. You can watch it just as if you were home.
  • Reply 94 of 101
    The app is $14.99, and I've seen the devices as low as $49.99, and it streams directly from your cable box onto the net. You can watch it just as if you were home.

Really? That's much cheaper than I thiught it would be.
  • Reply 95 of 101

Never mind.

• Reply 96 of 101
    malax wrote: »
    <h1>Never mind.</h1>

It was an entertaining pass time at least.
  • Reply 97 of 101
    interdyne wrote: »
    Let's revisit your opinion after Apple's announcement.

Can I let go of my breath now? :lol:

I was actually hoping for a new ATV as well, but I will definitely be getting my son a iPad mini 2 now that the price dropped.
  • Reply 98 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Can I let go of my breath now? image

I was actually hoping for a new ATV as well, but I will definitely be getting my son a iPad mini 2 now that the price dropped.

You called it.  Certainly no evidence from that event that Apple has been disrupting the TV industry while we wait.  I wonder whether we'll see an Apple TV option/bundle over $99 when the store comes back up.  Or at least a correction of the "Starting at $99" phrasing.

Update: nope.  Zero activity on the ATV front.  In fact, go to the Apple home page and try to find mention of it.  On the site map page it's tucked in in the "iPod" category, between Accessories and Corporate Gifting.  Clearly still nothing more than a "hobby."

• Reply 99 of 101
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

I know that that was just an example and you aren't suggesting that "Apple TV for the car" is a thing, but I'd put that on my "evidence that Apple has jumped the shark top 10 list."  AAA would love that.

Yep, I meant that instead of Apple shipping its own products, they license the software, like the company that came out with their TV with the AppleTV interface. Just like Apple licensed its car dash technology.

• Reply 100 of 101
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,597member
    pfisher wrote: »
    Yep, I meant that instead of Apple shipping its own products, they license the software, like the company that came out with their TV with the AppleTV interface. Just like Apple licensed its car dash technology.

AFAIK there is no TV shipping with a licensed Apple TV interface. What you may be thinking of is an erroneous news blurb, repeated here at AI I believe, of an Indian HDTV with Apple's interface pre-installed. In fact it was simply a regular TV bundled with an additional Apple TV unit. Two separate pieces of hardware being sold as a bundle.