Apple announces 6.1mm-thin iPad Air 2 with Touch ID, anti-reflective coating, new gold color option

Comments

• Reply 61 of 137
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

the camera in our devices is perhaps the most exciting thing about them, especially for normal consumers. the camera defines how we see, and how we remember, the world around us.

Just last week I wrote that I hope that the iPads get a good camera upgrade, so I'm happy about that.

• Reply 62 of 137

Impressive one from Apple as compared to yesterday's Google Nexus 9 tablet, have a look on what's new in iPad Air 2.

http://uneedtech.com/2014/10/16/apple-announced-ipad-air-2-thinnest-and-fastest-tablet-ever/

• Reply 63 of 137
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    nolamacguy wrote: »

the camera in our devices is perhaps the most exciting thing about them, especially for normal consumers. the camera defines how we see, and how we remember, the world around us.
    For phones I agree. iPads, no. Clearly Apple software engineers have all they can handle with fixing iOS 8.0 bugs so improving iPad software won't happen until next year (if at all).
  • Reply 64 of 137
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

The iPad does not use the same camera.  The protruding camera is not an issue with any type of case, including Apple's slim leather and silicone cases.

its not even an issue w/ no case -- in the few times I've put my naked phone flat on a table, it doesn't rock unless tapping the top-left, which theres little need to do since you can left-edge swipe to go Back.

• Reply 65 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshuarayer View Post

"Look how thin it is because it is the only new thing we can do."

hmm  yeah, double the RAM, big improvements to CPU and GPU, faster wifi, faster LTE, all new cameras...but yeah they didn't do any of that. oops.

• Reply 66 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

PEOPLE WITH IPAD AIR SMART COVERS.

Is this little dongle thing new to the design? Seems fragile to me.

why does it seem fragile to you? is yours breaking? are there widespread reports of them breaking?

mines fine.

• Reply 67 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Pretty bad when most of Phil's presentation was spent on the camera. Sigh. And considering we're an hour into the presentation my guess is this is it for iPads.

Yup - a yawner there for me; I've never used the iPad to take pix; in fact I kind of chuckle when I see people doing it.  It's such a clunky, awkward device to use as a camera.

Some nice new internals, but a new camera and a tacky gold case are hardly the things needed to rejuvinate the product line.

• Reply 68 of 137
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    1983 wrote: »
    Definitely more impressive than the lacklustre iPad mini 3, but no 3x display upgrade - I was really hoping for that as the A8x can handle it. So 3x res solely for a future larger screened iPad Pro/Plus maybe?
    rogifan wrote: »
    When do we find out how much RAM? If it's still 1GB I have zero interest.

Then you have very limited thinking.
  • Reply 69 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster View Post

This is a nice improvement over the first air, but for the price, i'll just stick with what I have.  

i don't know why anyone would expect you to...apple doesn't expect people to annually upgrade iPads. no more so than laptops.

• Reply 70 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Quote:

No NFC, meaning no store purchases. Why, Apple?

Why? because it's stupid to carry an tablet into stores for purchases while there's an iPhone for that task. How many iPad owners actually carry their iPad everywhere now while almost 100% iPhone owners carry their phone all the times?

Then why upgrade the camera?  The fact is you do see people carrying around an iPad (see my comment above about people [trying to] use them to take pix).  And if you're going to upgrade the camera (seemingly to encourage taking your iPad places with you), then NFC is a natural add-on.

• Reply 71 of 137
    rogifan wrote: »
    For phones I agree. iPads, no. Clearly Apple software engineers have all they can handle with fixing iOS 8.0 bugs so improving iPad software won't happen until next year (if at all).

I disagree. I see people taking pics, and even video with their iPads all the time. Some people love to comment on how terrible this is, but screw those people.
  • Reply 72 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Yup - a yawner there for me; I've never used the iPad to take pix; in fact I kind of chuckle when I see people doing it.  It's such a clunky, awkward device to use as a camera.

Some nice new internals, but a new camera and a tacky gold case are hardly the things needed to rejuvinate the product line.

not for older people -- they love the bigass viewfinder the iPad offers.

really, we're back to the "Gold is tacky!" thing? i thought we put that to bed w/ the iPhone 5s actually came out.

evidently you slept thru the rest of the updates -- its a great refresh. since normal people don't upgrade iPads annually, it will be a fine update to users of older iPads. like my dad, on iPad 1. 

• Reply 73 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I thought the same thing, but then someone pointed out that an iPad with a NFC chip could be used as a POS terminal with a NFC reader. You're looking at the wrong side of the purchase.

And how many iPad will be used at POS? Apple target the mass, not just some segments. BTW, terminal NFC can be implemented separately.

Now you have to be joking.  Pretty much every other food truck / arts & crafts stall / flea market vendor has an iPad with Square as their POS device.  So while there may be good reasons not to have NFC in the iPad, claiming that the iPad isn't used as a POS device is certainly not one of them.

• Reply 74 of 137
    sierrajeff wrote: »
    Then why upgrade the camera?  The fact is you do see people carrying around an iPad (see my comment above about people [trying to] use them to take pix).  And if you're going to upgrade the camera (seemingly to encourage taking your iPad places with you), then NFC is a natural add-on.

One thing has nothing to do with the other. I really can't see myself holding my iPad by one end, up to a scanner. It's clumsy, to say the least.
  • Reply 75 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

people use iPads as cameras. thats a fact...whether i agree with it or not. gruber has noticed this trend as well and predicted apple would start putting in high quality cameras into the device. he was right.

• Reply 76 of 137
    sierrajeff wrote: »
    Now you have to be joking.  Pretty much every other food truck / arts & crafts stall / flea market vendor has an iPad with Square as their POS device.  So while there may be good reasons not to have NFC in the iPad, claiming that the iPad isn't used as a POS device is certainly not one of them.

Can you tell one end of a transaction from the other? Do those with Square hold it up to a scanner? Well, no, Square is a scanner. It's an entirely different function.

And a Square isn't a POS. It requires either a smartphone, an iTouch, or a tablet to turn the unit into one. By itself, the Square device is nothing, it's not much more than a card scanner.
  • Reply 77 of 137

why does it seem fragile to you?

I looked at it.

is yours breaking?

I know of a Smart Case that is fraying.

• Reply 78 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Can you tell one end of a transaction from the other? Do those with Square hold it up to a scanner? Well, no, Square is a scanner. It's an entirely different function.

Well, Square can come up with different features based on CC standards and hardware features. Adding NFC payment would be in their wheelhouse, and they have a new reader coming out for the chipped cards.

Quote:

PEOPLE WITH IPAD AIR SMART COVERS.

Is this little dongle thing new to the design? Seems fragile to me.

It’s 24/25ths of a pound.

That's just the long magnet and the hinge, right? Isn't this just a perspective thing, and that wiry looking bit is actually a full-length hinge, just seen from the edge?

• Reply 79 of 137
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

not for older people -- they love the bigass viewfinder the iPad offers.

really, we're back to the "Gold is tacky!" thing? i thought we put that to bed w/ the iPhone 5s actually came out.

evidently you slept thru the rest of the updates -- its a great refresh. since normal people don't upgrade iPads annually, it will be a fine update to users of older iPads. like my dad, on iPad 1.

I said "some nice new internals".  Didn't think I'd have to specifically acknowledge and heap praise on each one, before moving on to the substance of the response.

And aesthetics is objective; I don't care if it's even a great seller, I personally think that the gold is tacky.  But regardless (because unlike some commenters on here [not you], I don't think my personal impression should rule the world), my point is that I find it underwhelming when they tout it as though it's some great perk.

• Reply 80 of 137

I'm liking the wifi Air 2 for Square POS, myself. I might go with the first gen Air. Using an old iPad 2 now...