Apple announces 6.1mm-thin iPad Air 2 with Touch ID, anti-reflective coating, new gold color option

12357

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 137

    I'm liking the wifi Air 2 for Square POS, myself. I might go with the first gen Air. Using an old iPad 2 now...

  • Reply 82 of 137
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post



    Now you have to be joking.  Pretty much every other food truck / arts & crafts stall / flea market vendor has an iPad with Square as their POS device.  So while there may be good reasons not to have NFC in the iPad, claiming that the iPad isn't used as a POS device is certainly not one of them.




    Can you tell one end of a transaction from the other? Do those with Square hold it up to a scanner? Well, no, Square is a scanner. It's an entirely different function.



    And a Square isn't a POS. It requires either a smartphone, an iTouch, or a tablet to turn the unit into one. By itself, the Square device is nothing, it's not much more than a card scanner.

    So you acknowledge that people are using an iPad with Square as a POS, yet at the same time seemingly deny that it would therefore be possible people would use an iPad with NFC as a POS device?  I did not say Square had NFC; my point was to illustrate that *many* people are using the iPad as a POS device, contrary to a someone's earlier assertion.

  • Reply 83 of 137
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post



    Then why upgrade the camera?  The fact is you do see people carrying around an iPad (see my comment above about people [trying to] use them to take pix).  And if you're going to upgrade the camera (seemingly to encourage taking your iPad places with you), then NFC is a natural add-on.




    One thing has nothing to do with the other. I really can't see myself holding my iPad by one end, up to a scanner. It's clumsy, to say the least.

    Sometimes I feel like I need to break out the hand puppets.  The comment to which I was replying (which you deleted) was to the effect that no one carries around an iPad, therefore NFC would be dumb in an iPad.  My response was to observe that clearly Apple *does* intend people to carry around the iPad, otherwise it's silly for them to have upgraded the camera (and spent to much time touting it).  I in no way implied that the camera and NFC are related features or uses.

  • Reply 84 of 137
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

    That's just the long magnet and the hinge, right? Isn't this just a perspective thing, and that wiry looking bit is actually a full-length hinge, just seen from the edge?




    It is, but still. Seems fragile to me.

  • Reply 85 of 137
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 3,976member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

     

    Holy crap. 3 billion transistors on the A8X. 40% faster CPU and 2.5x faster GPU.


    This should have been the chips in iPhone 6+...really.

  • Reply 86 of 137
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

    No NFC, meaning no store purchases. Why, Apple?




    Just kidding, but they could also throw in the phone hardware and claim it to be the world's largest cellphone. A lot of people would buy it.

  • Reply 87 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     



    It is, but still. Seems fragile to me.


     

    Yeah, I see what you're saying. It will fatigue and fail. Original metal hinge was more durable, although I'm still seeing fatigue failure at connection to the metal hinge, after all these years.

  • Reply 88 of 137
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 3,976member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by netrox View Post



    Let me get this right.... iPad Air 2 is thinner than iPhone 6 (6.1mm vs 6.9mm) yet iPad is able to make the camera len not protrude while iPhone 6 camera protrudes. Why?!?!?!

    because you don't put iPhone down often while you do with iPad...

  • Reply 89 of 137
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

    No NFC, meaning no store purchases. Why, Apple?


    because that's a silly, dorky thing to do  and it will drive you to buy the phone or watch silly billy

  • Reply 90 of 137
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post



    When do we find out how much RAM? If it's still 1GB I have zero interest.

    why do you need more than 1GB of RAM?

  • Reply 91 of 137
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 3,976member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

     



    Did you miss the fact that it is thinner?


    Yes, the chassis is the same. The glass is fused with the screen, so it's thinner. The form factor didn't change. That's what I meant.

  • Reply 92 of 137
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

     

    I said "some nice new internals".  Didn't think I'd have to specifically acknowledge and heap praise on each one, before moving on to the substance of the response.

     

    And aesthetics is objective; I don't care if it's even a great seller, I personally think that the gold is tacky.  But regardless (because unlike some commenters on here [not you], I don't think my personal impression should rule the world), my point is that I find it underwhelming when they tout it as though it's some great perk.


    hey some of my best friends have Gold iPhones myself included, I'm insulted, I expect a sincere apology

  • Reply 93 of 137
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,471member
    sierrajeff wrote: »
    I said "some nice new internals".  Didn't think I'd have to specifically acknowledge and heap praise on each one, before moving on to the substance of the response.

    And aesthetics is objective; I don't care if it's even a great seller, I personally think that the gold is tacky.  But regardless (because unlike some commenters on here [not you], I don't think my personal impression should rule the world), my point is that I find it underwhelming when they tout it as though it's some great perk.

    Only people who dislike it think they're announcing it as a great perk. Gold is very popular around the world, and even here. One out of nine cars in the USA are gold tone. Close to 40% in India. Gold watches are very popular as well. I don't even see why you thought it was necessary to comment on it. And it's far more tasteful than the gold look phones Samsung has been coming out with over the years. The champagne color is understated. I'll still be upgrading to a Space grey iPad Air 2, and probably the same for the new iPhone, though for the iPhone, that's only because I don't like a white front, for several reasons. If it were a black front, then I might.
  • Reply 94 of 137

    No NFC is kind of smart, actually. Just like it's smart not allowing devs use NFC. If they put an NFC reader on an iPad then that opens the possibility up to all sorts of fraud and other unscrupulous activity. Just look at all the apps available for Android to do all sorts of illegal activities with NFC (not in Google Play, but third party).

     

    You could, for example, carry your Galaxy phone in your pocket and continually bump into people on the train, and charge up $20 every time you came close to someone with an NFC card.

  • Reply 95 of 137
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 3,976member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

     

    Then why upgrade the camera?  The fact is you do see people carrying around an iPad (see my comment above about people [trying to] use them to take pix).  And if you're going to upgrade the camera (seemingly to encourage taking your iPad places with you), then NFC is a natural add-on.


    No it's not. iPad camera sucked so far and your assessment is irrelevant. Camera is not used ONLY when you carry it around. It's used wherever iPad is used. NFC is a different story. It's for transactions at the brick and mortar stores. So, implementing a technology into a device which people leave it at home 90% of the time is not an improvement but gimmick.

  • Reply 96 of 137
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 3,976member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by melgross View Post





    I disagree. I see people taking pics, and even video with their iPads all the time. Some people love to comment on how terrible this is, but screw those people.

    How many people did you see using iPad to take picture out there? I might have seen a few in the last 4 years...while I see iPhone was used for that task everywhere.

    Again, Apple needs to upgrade the camera because the current one still sucks. For NFC in iPad? Definitely no...because it's a waste.

  • Reply 97 of 137

    Meh. At $619 for 16GB I think I'll pass on this one.

  • Reply 98 of 137
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,471member
    sierrajeff wrote: »
    So you acknowledge that people are using an iPad with Square as a POS, yet at the same time seemingly deny that it would therefore be possible people would use an iPad with NFC as a POS device?  I did not say Square had NFC; my point was to illustrate that *many* people are using the iPad as a POS device, contrary to a someone's earlier assertion.

    I directly said it was a POS, with Square, or some other device. But that's completely different from being on line, and holding an iPad out to a scanner. It's the opposite side of the transaction. One is holding an iPad vertically, or resting it on a table, and moving a small card though the scanner, using the ipad to type in the rest of the transaction, as you would with a cash register, and the other is holding the iPad out, horizontally, and pushing it towards a scanner. A completely different kind of operation.

    The first is convenient, and the second is clumsy.

    Right now NFC isn't useful for a portable POS, certainly here in the USA, where there aren't chipped cards yet. Terminals that allow NFC from a phone read NFC, they don't contain NFC chips themselves.
  • Reply 99 of 137
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,471member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    This should have been the chips in iPhone 6+...really.

    Nah. This has 50% more transistors. It uses correspondingly more power, and has got to be a fair amount larger. Perhaps next year, if they go to 14nm, they could fit it in, but maybe not, if they go to 16nm.
  • Reply 100 of 137
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,471member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Yes, the chassis is the same. The glass is fused with the screen, so it's thinner. The form factor didn't change. That's what I meant.

    The chassis may need to be a bit thinner as well. Since it weighs two thirds of an ounce less, gluing the parts together wouldn't account for that. But shaving a bit off the edges of the aluminum chassis would.
Sign In or Register to comment.