Apple's iPad Air 2 eschews physical orientation lock switch in favor of software control

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Get rid of the physical switch just to save manufacturing cost like 50c.

• Reply 42 of 55
    The phone sits on your pocket pushing the on/off button if you are hearing with the headphones. So need to be moved.

The headphones in has been moved for a mor natural position when your phone is resting on a table, opposed to previus dock-ish desing.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    ipen wrote: »
    Get rid of the physical switch just to save manufacturing cost like 50c.

It's also something that can break. But not anymore.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    philboogie wrote: »
    It's also something that can break. But not anymore.

Have you actually ever heard of broken mute-switch? I haven't, ever
  • Reply 45 of 55
    nomadman wrote: »

Actually, yes. But only once on an iPad, but often on iPhones. Those do tend to get dropped more easily though.

edit: And some get this:

• Reply 46 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

And how would you put it in DFU mode?

Maybe hold down Home button for x seconds?

• Reply 47 of 55
    ralphmouth wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    And how would you put it in DFU mode?

Maybe hold down Home button for x seconds?

That could work, but getting rid of all HW buttons is probably not a wanted design. The fast snapping of a picture on the latest iPhones is one that comes to mind. Taking a screen capture is another.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Removing the mute switch was a mistake by Apple.

For those of us who work, it's essential to mute it regularly, so as not to disturb. Now, instead of one simple flick of a switch, it will be necessary to hold down on the volume and wait for it to descend to zero. That makes it several times slower. Not only that, but you will lose the volume position that you had before. Turning the volume back on will also be orders of magnitude slower.

Steve Jobs would not have done this.

What a silly decision to remove essential functionality. I suspect there's a little too much drug-taking going on in Cupertino.

That's actually hilarious. Press and hold the down volume rocker for a second and a half. To turn it back up, just press and hold volume up. "Order of magnitude slower", yes maybe two seconds instead of half a second. First world problems.  Or maybe take three seconds out of your hectic schedule to turn on 'do not disturb'. If Steve were alive there would be no buttons on this device at all by now. Look at the Apple remote, the evolution of iPod, iMac - less buttons, less mechanical components. Apple haven't removed any "Essential Functionality", they've altered the way the functionality works. For the better.

Apple design has always been about removing unnecessary components, starting 3.5" drive, the internal modem, the cable between the keyboard/mouse and the mac, then the optical drive. The iMac has a single button for power, hidden at the back. The trackpad is a single surface - and in the latest iteration, doesn't even hinge. This has always been the design direction. From a mechanical/rotating click wheel and four buttons to a single touch screen in a decade. The iPad will be free of all mechanical components within the next five years.

I look forward to a completely sealed unit, induction charged with no moving parts or holes of any kind in the case.  Bluetooth Beats headphones/eaphones. The device beautifully water proof and no crevices to attract lint and dust.

Simple swipe up and select "Do not disturb" when you're in that vital business meeting. Job done.

• Reply 49 of 55
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadman View Post

I have, along with the damn power button on my 4S.

• Reply 50 of 55
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

...orientation lock doesn’t need its own physical button. Its a swipe and tap away with control center.

I’d like to know your justification for being okay with unnecessarily added complexity.

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

My guess is this will be one of those things that's not a big deal to 99% of users but some will throw a hissy fit.

That’d be me. I’m not sure I want a 12.7” iPad now if they’re not going to have the hardware option I use the most.

Originally Posted by ECats View Post

The removed switch has been redundant since iOS7. Drama over.

Try again, this time with a real argument.

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Works fine.

No. Often you hit the volume rockers when hitting the Sleep/Wake button. 

• Reply 51 of 55
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Removing the mute switch was a mistake by Apple.

What a silly decision to remove essential functionality. I suspect there's a little too much drug-taking going on in Cupertino.

What a silly, irresponsible, ridiculous statement!!!

Please define "too much drug-taking"...

If you're going to toss around ludicrous phrases, expect to be called to explain yourself!

(besides, I hear they're "mind-bending", and I know you'll like that! :smokey: )

• Reply 52 of 55
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

I'm in the camp that would like a hardware orientation lock switch.

Even if they mapped the volume buttons so holding them both down for a second locked the orientation, that'd work for me.

Certainly better than no switch at all.

• Reply 53 of 55

Quote:

I have no problem with this change. Mute switch is pretty useless on an iPad, and orientation lock doesnt need its own physical button. Its a swipe and tap away with control center.

Well good for you.  Not so for many others that actually use it. 

Quote:

How exactly is it redundant?  For the orientation lock, fine there is a control for that but what about muting the ringer?  Nope no control for that.  No, holding the volume control down does not count as it will only mute the ringer if you set the volume buttons to change the ringer/alert volume. Otherwise it mutes the system volume and your notifications and ringers will still come through...

Some of us use our iPads in meetings multiple times per week and the mute switch was handy to silence the ringer/notifications.  Yeah I find holding down the volume adjustment to mute the volume fine but you do realize that the volume and the ringer are two different controls right?

A good alternative would be to add a mute button in the controls or notification center.  That would be fine.  

Don't get me wrong I will still buy this new iPad as I am overdo but I am sure they could have come up with some sort of compromise...

• Reply 54 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeoX360 View Post

Quote:

I have no problem with this change. Mute switch is pretty useless on an iPad, and orientation lock doesnt need its own physical button. Its a swipe and tap away with control center.

Well good for you.  Not so for many others that actually use it. 

Quote:

How exactly is it redundant?  For the orientation lock, fine there is a control for that but what about muting the ringer?  Nope no control for that.  No, holding the volume control down does not count as it will only mute the ringer if you set the volume buttons to change the ringer/alert volume. Otherwise it mutes the system volume and your notifications and ringers will still come through...

Some of us use our iPads in meetings multiple times per week and the mute switch was handy to silence the ringer/notifications.  Yeah I find holding down the volume adjustment to mute the volume fine but you do realize that the volume and the ringer are two different controls right?

A good alternative would be to add a mute button in the controls or notification center.  That would be fine.  

Don't get me wrong I will still buy this new iPad as I am overdo but I am sure they could have come up with some sort of compromise...

Well spotted. I forgot that.

So now, we will have to set the volume to alter the ringer and alerts, otherwise, even if you turn the volume down to zero, alerts and calls will still come through.

Bad Apple!

I had ringer and alerts set to a standard volume; now, I can't do that.

• Reply 55 of 55
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Well spotted. I forgot that.

So now, we will have to set the volume to alter the ringer and alerts, otherwise, even if you turn the volume down to zero, alerts and calls will still come through.

Bad Apple!

I had ringer and alerts set to a standard volume; now, I can't do that.

You sure like whine don't you. Your post history is quite damning...