Apple's iPad Air 2 eschews physical orientation lock switch in favor of software control

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2014
A lot of attention has been paid to the iPad Air 2's slimmed-down design, but one of the most striking changes -- the removal of the orientation lock/mute switch -- is a significant evolution in Apple's design philosophy.

When Apple's marketing chief Phil Schiller took the stage on Thursday to give a rundown of the new iPad Air 2, he touted the tablet's thinness, Touch ID and battery life, but glossed over the fact that the orientation lock switch normally flanking the tablet's volume buttons has been deleted.

Schiller made no mention of the switch's disappearance even when that particular area was highlighted to show off a much improved rear-facing iSight camera. Instead, he pointed out the iPad Air 2's dual microphones that offer high-fidelity audio recording, one of which is positioned in the exact location of where the switch used to be. The original iPad Air also featured a two-mic setup.

This particular design change was first seen in June with a supposed iPad Air 2 dummy unit, then again in subsequent parts leaks. Some publications were so set on the traditional iPad design, they refused to entertain the idea that Apple would do away with the switch, speculating instead that the mic port was a "pilot hole" to be bored out later in the production process.

Apple first introduced the physical toggle as a carryover from the iPhone's mute control, but extended functionality to include locking the tablet's screen orientation. When using the device in portrait mode, for example, a user may lie down or reposition themselves, which results in an unexpected switch to landscape orientation. The switch prevented this from happening.

While earlier versions of iOS included a software setting that allowed users to map orientation lock/mute controls to the physical switch, it was only with the introduction of iOS 7's Control Panel that the option became readily accessible. Instead of digging into the Settings menu, users can now simply swipe up on any screen and tap a button to lock in portrait or landscape views.

Although the iPad Air 2 design change was left unexplained, it can be assumed that Apple finds the software controls to be just as effective as a physical switch. Also, by getting rid of the external control, Apple has removed a moving part from the iPad's design, reducing the potential for hardware failures.

The change is likely not an issue for new users, but could take some getting used to for longtime iPad owners.

For now, it appears only the iPad Air 2 is taking on the design tweak, as the switch remains on Apple's new iPad mini 3. It should be noted that the latest iPad mini release includes only internal component enhancements, the addition of Touch ID and a new gold color option, not a redesigned chassis.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

But will something this thin bend if you sit on it?  

• Reply 2 of 55
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I have no problem with this change. Mute switch is pretty useless on an iPad, and orientation lock doesnt need its own physical button. Its a swipe and tap away with control center.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I've used iPads for years, and never once used that mute button. I had it set to orientation lock. It's not something that is often used or pressed, so having it in the control center is fine.

Also, you can mute by simply holding down the volume button.

• Reply 4 of 55
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I have no problem with this change. Mute switch is pretty useless on an iPad, and orientation lock doesnt need its own physical button. Its a swipe and tap away with control center.

I use the mute switch a lot because I use my iPad at work. I believe the volume down button will now perform that function. My guess is this will be one of those things that's not a big deal to 99% of users but some will throw a hissy fit.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I've used iPads for years, and never once used that mute button. I had it set to orientation lock. It's not something that is often used or pressed, so having it in the control center is fine.

Also, you can mute by simply holding down the volume button.
    Is mute the same as making the ringer silent? On my Air even if the volume is set to mute I still hear sounds when I get a text.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Is mute the same as making the ringer silent? On my Air even if the volume is set to mute I still hear sounds when I get a text.

There's a preference where you can set the volume of the ringer and alerts to be controlled by the volume buttons.

• Reply 7 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Will you bend if someone sits on you?

• Reply 8 of 55
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    The removed switch has been redundant since iOS7. Drama over.
  • Reply 9 of 55

Why is the on/off button positioning not consistent with the new iPhone design?

(For the record, I prefer it on top).

• Reply 10 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Will you bend if someone sits on you?

I feel like saying "don't worry, he's thick enough". But he might find it a bad pun.

• Reply 11 of 55
    rogifan wrote: »
    I use the mute switch a lot because I use my iPad at work. I believe the volume down button will now perform that function. My guess is this will be one of those things that's not a big deal to 99% of users but some will throw a hissy fit.

Yep. I use mine all the time to silence it for classes, at work, etc. Bit frustrating to lose it.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I hope they revisit that design decision.  I've not purchased a new phone (yet), but I've handled the new ones at the nearby AT&T.  I've only ever used my 4S's volume-up button to trigger the shutter, and now the power button relocation means I'd have to start thinking about hand positioning all over again.  (Granted, this is a first-world problem.)

• Reply 13 of 55
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Yep. I use mine all the time to silence it for classes, at work, etc. Bit frustrating to lose it.

There's bound to be apps in Apple's app store that can automate that for you.  Just setup your device to silence and un-silence itself based off of time (if you have a set schedule) or based off of location.

• Reply 14 of 55

When the hell can I buy one?

At midnight? (PST I'm assuming)

There's plenty of talk about this new iPad, but I don't see any article or info about exactly when I can order one.

• Reply 15 of 55
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    rogifan wrote: »

I haven't used the button since the control centre appeared, but I agree with what you saiid about the hissy fit: a tiny vocal minority, bolstered by a much larger Android/ Samsung group will attempt to create 'PhysicalorientationlockswitchGate'.

And a few weeks later, Samsung will release a tablet with an orientation lock switch the size of an SUV and backed by the their new 'Because we know what's important to you' advertising campaign. This the slogan they will be using on placards given to their employees picketing Apple stores.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

I hope they revisit that design decision.  I've not purchased a new phone (yet), but I've handled the new ones at the nearby AT&T.  I've only ever used my 4S's volume-up button to trigger the shutter, and now the power button relocation means I'd have to start thinking about hand positioning all over again.  (Granted, this is a first-world problem.)

I've had it for almost a month, and I have not got used to it yet. I keep hitting it by accident. The really annoying part is, when the phone is set down on landscape mode, I am watching, say, a news broadcast, and I want to increase or decrease the volume: the damn thing turns off if I press the volume button a bit too hard! (Incidentally, does anyone know if the feature of 'muting by pressing and holding for a few seconds the down volume button' has disappeared? If so, what's the new way?)

• Reply 17 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The controls have always been slightly inconsistent: the volume and mute switch on the iPad is on the right side, whereas the iPhone has these controls on the left. Maybe because you hold the iPhone with one hand (left for most people, so you can take notes with your right), whereas the iPad is a two-handed device.

• Reply 18 of 55

I'm surprised the iPad still has an on/off button and volume rockers. Simplicity in design demands it. Their days are numbered.

• Reply 19 of 55
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Once you've got yours, be sure to let us know.

• Reply 20 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

The controls have always been slightly inconsistent: the volume and mute switch on the iPad is on the right side, whereas the iPhone has these controls on the left. Maybe because you hold the iPhone with one hand (left for most people, so you can take notes with your right), whereas the iPad is a two-handed device.

But why move it to the side on the iPhone? What do you think was the reasoning there?