How to place and answer iPhone calls on your Mac with OS X Yosemite

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54

Except that this does not work, every call I try I get a "call failed" on the Mac.  :(

Anyone have a real fix?  Turning off WiFi did not help, and having both on WiFi only w/out ethernet on MacBook Pro did not work either.  Half baked!

• Reply 22 of 54
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I suspect we will see a slew of apps that add extra features. How about Octave shifting with gravel voice filter to you can be a Super Hero making the call from your Mac? image

I wonder if there is a way to transfer a call from the iPhone to the Mac part way through?

I do this once in a while. I have a Google Voice number, and a Skype subscription. I have Google voice set to ring both my iPhone number and Skype on my Mac. If I receive a call on my iPhone, and then realize that I would prefer to take the call on Skype on my Mac, I press the * key on my iPhone, Skype on my Mac rings, and I take the call through Skype on my Mac. 

It works very well, and is very simple, once you get a Google Voice number and a Skype subscription.

• Reply 23 of 54
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

haha! True enough.

RingCentral appears to be a commercial service using VoIP. Silly me - I guess I should have said I'm looking for a solution with no service costs. I might pay a reasonable price for the app itself.

Voxox.

• Reply 24 of 54
    You don't have to have WiFi enabled on your Mac.

I have mine connected via Ethernet and I can answer and make calls using my iPhone.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

All the major new features require your Mac to be on WiFi, which isn't the way I have mine set up. I wish these things would work with the Mac on ethernet since my wired network reaches more areas of the house than WiFi does.

You don't have to have WiFi enabled on your Mac for this to work.

My Mac is connected via ethernet (and WiFi is turned off on the Mac) and I am able to make and receive calls using my iPhone.

• Reply 26 of 54

Anyone able to make outgoing calls from Mac, but incoming ones don't show?

• Reply 27 of 54
    test
  • Reply 28 of 54
    eightzero wrote: »
    I tried it, and it does work. Kinda slick.

Wonder if there is an app for the 10.10 side that allows you to answer a call, and it accepts an incoming fax? Or conversely allows sending a fax? Old tech - meet new tech.

Faxs, eh?

I wonder when Apple will get round to incorporating telegrams in Yosemite…
  • Reply 29 of 54
    I tried it, and it does work. Kinda slick.

Wonder if there is an app for the 10.10 side that allows you to answer a call, and it accepts an incoming fax? Or conversely allows sending a fax? Old tech - meet new tech.

I suspect we will see a slew of apps that add extra features. How about Octave shifting with gravel voice filter to you can be a Super Hero making the call from your Mac? :)

I wonder if there is a way to transfer a call from the iPhone to the Mac part way through?

What would be cool is allowing FaceTime on two devices simultaneously. That way, you could see someone and also show them things with the other camera. I know, you can now, but with two screens, all bigger.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    2oh1 wrote: »
    Man, I wish this worked with Google Voice. I realize it's possible to do something similar using Chrome, but I hate Chrome.

Just use Apple software.

Problem solved.
  • Reply 31 of 54

Cool! But I suspect the 2009 version requires connection to a landline? I'm not even sure my mac has a telephone modem in it. And I for sure don't have a landline.

I'll look for RingCentral - it might be getting a new version soon, thx.

If you do find your mac has a telephone modem inside, you should immediately rush to an Apple store and buy something from the current century.....
    if you do get Yosemite to work on any mac that has an internal telephone modem, consider yourself a genius, and I for one am in awe.

Last I heard, Apple sold Macs with telephone modems in them in the 21st century.
  • Reply 32 of 54

For what its worth, since upgrading to Yosemite on my 2011 27" iMac, I completely lost the ability to use Messages and this FaceTime calling using iPhone isn't available either. I'm actually starting to believe the "built in obsolescence" from Apple. My iMac is only 3 years old and in pristine condition - there's not a hope in hell that I'm going to shell out and upgrade for this. 

Probably best to just roll back to Mavericks where Messages actually worked on this machine.

• Reply 33 of 54
    Originally Posted by MarkyMarc43 View Post

there's not a hope in hell that I'm going to shell out and upgrade for this. 

Why not try some troubleshooting instead of going straight to the FUD? Everything works flawlessly for me on an Early 2008 MacBook Pro.

• Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why not try some troubleshooting instead of going straight to the FUD? Everything works flawlessly for me on an Early 2008 MacBook Pro.

Tallest: You know I am not a forum member who appreciates FUD, so I certainly don't engage in it on my end. From what I've been reading, late 2011 27" iMac is not included in these handoff features - and I have put a fair amount of time and research into this issue. Messages simply does not send or receive, and handoff is not available in  the options, so what I said was correct. 

What works "flawlessly" for some, may not work for others. I respected your FUD detection remarks up until now, but it's just clear to me that you you effortlessly slip into that role often times for no reason. I didn't post my observation until I had tried everything I had researched. But thanks for the personal attack buddy. Good on you.

• Reply 35 of 54
    Just thought I'd point out that you could already do this with the Google Hangouts app, and no carrier plan, or Mac.

Or with a $200 Chromebook and no carrier plan.
  • Reply 36 of 54

Try disabling FaceTime and iMessages, then reenabling them, that often solves issues.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMarc43 View Post

For what its worth, since upgrading to Yosemite on my 2011 27" iMac, I completely lost the ability to use Messages and this FaceTime calling using iPhone isn't available either. I'm actually starting to believe the "built in obsolescence" from Apple. My iMac is only 3 years old and in pristine condition - there's not a hope in hell that I'm going to shell out and upgrade for this. 

Probably best to just roll back to Mavericks where Messages actually worked on this machine.

• Reply 37 of 54
    fmalloyfmalloy Posts: 105member
    I called my company mail system, where I have to press "*" to gain access to my mailbox. I press "*" from the keyboard, I hear the tone, and I see an asterisk displayed in the phone dialog box, but the vmail system acts like it didn't hear it; it wasn't accepted and there was no acknowledgement that I pressed any key.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Faxs, eh?

You didn't notice the "Pony Express" button?

• Reply 39 of 54
    elroth wrote: »
    Faxs, eh?

You didn't notice the "Pony Express" button?

????
  • Reply 40 of 54

Same here. I use ethernet for the Gigabit connection, wifi is on for this iPhone calling and iTunes syncing.