How to place and answer iPhone calls on your Mac with OS X Yosemite

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member

Tallest: You know I am not a forum member who appreciates FUD, so I certainly don't engage in it on my end. From what I've been reading, late 2011 27" iMac is not included in these handoff features - and I have put a fair amount of time and research into this issue. Messages simply does not send or receive, and handoff is not available in  the options, so what I said was correct. 

What works "flawlessly" for some, may not work for others. I respected your FUD detection remarks up until now, but it's just clear to me that you you effortlessly slip into that role often times for no reason. I didn't post my observation until I had tried everything I had researched. But thanks for the personal attack buddy. Good on you.

So - let me see if I understand...you can't use all of the new features in your FREE new operating system? And there is a problem with the messages app that will require a bit of troubleshooting to fix? Or did your online research turn up a note which says that messages is actually not compatible with your particular hardware?

I'm sorry, but I agree with Tallest that your original post sounded like fud - obviously you were frustrated that during the upgrade you lost the ability to use Messages - but you must also know that Messages IS a supported part of Yosemite on your hardware and since there aren't widespread reports of problems, it's probably due to a registration issue or a corrupt file - which is unfortunate and frustrating - but fixable and not necessarily a flaw in the operating system.

To a casual reader, your original post definitely gave the impression that the new OS was a piece of crap and not worth upgrading to. Many users - even with the older hardware - are very happy with the new functionality provided by their FREE new operating system and understand why some of the newest features can't be implemented on older hardware.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    spodspod Posts: 30member
    If anyone has problems with no sound from microphone on the Mac when using the new voice calling feature here is some feedback which someone may stumble on if they get similarly stuck.

On the beta version the voice calling and answering on my mac worked fine. Upon final release of Yosemite the microphone, whilst working perfectly in the system preferences and recording audio in Quicktime Player, did not work using the new calling feature whether making or receiving the call. Checked the system preferences and as I said the microphone was working fine. Sound in/out was fine on the phone at the other end and sound in on the mac was fine.

In the end I removed the Soundflower audio rerouting software from my machine (didn't make note of its version before deleting - possibly 1.5.x) and then tested. All worked OK. I then installed a fresh copy of the latest version of Soundflower 1.6.6b and it no longer caused a problem.

May help someone!
  • Reply 43 of 54

Yeeesssss meee! What is the probleemmm?

• Reply 44 of 54
    I suspect you've gotta have wi-fi because the mac has to communicate with the iPhone. You're not gonna get your phone on ethernet. And if you've got wi-fi for the phone, then it's there for the mac too. Do you think that's the explanation?

A question in return: I know we can place calls by selecting a number, in a contact, on a website, etc. But what if, for ex, I want to call my credit card company using the number on the back of the card. How do i do that? Is there a way to spring up a window for inputting the number, or a keypad for dialing it?
  • Reply 45 of 54

There is a program called Continuity Keypad where you can use it to make phone calls get it here http://continuitykeypad.co/

• Reply 46 of 54
    Originally Posted by mwhiteco View Post

There is a program called Continuity Keypad where you can use it to make phone calls get it here http://continuitykeypad.co/

Yay, give a third party every phone number you call!

• Reply 47 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yay, give a third party every phone number you call!

He ask if there was such a thing and I told him there was it is up to him is he wants to use it!

• Reply 48 of 54
    Originally Posted by mwhiteco View Post

He ask if there was such a thing and I told him there was it is up to him is he wants to use it!

Oh, certainly. I'm just saying.

Note that you can use OS X to dial numbers already anyway. Type right into FaceTime, no payment needed.

• Reply 49 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, certainly. I'm just saying.

Note that you can use OS X to dial numbers already anyway. Type right into FaceTime, no payment needed.

Thanks for the information I have never used FaceTime before I deleted Continuity Keypad.

• Reply 50 of 54
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

why on earth does a site dedicated to technology publish so many .PNGs to its website? for low-color images this can optimize well, but for photographic elements with many shades (especially of the disposable sort on a news site) a JPG will compress much better....

absurd. just uses up more data.

• Reply 51 of 54

Continuity refuses to recognize my mic.  I am on a Mac Pro tower with a Logitech webcam/mic that works fine on FaceTime calls but does nothing with Continuity calls.  Any idea why?

• Reply 52 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

why on earth does a site dedicated to technology publish so many .PNGs to its website? for low-color images this can optimize well, but for photographic elements with many shades (especially of the disposable sort on a news site) a JPG will compress much better....

absurd. just uses up more data.

Just get an unlimited data package. Problem solved.

• Reply 53 of 54

This is all well and good - but if you are typing at the time that a call comes in on an external bluetooth keyboard - then the call gets answered immediately.

Is there a way to change this answer function to Click or shortcut key only?

• Reply 54 of 54

You are a genius!  I've been trying to get incoming calls to work for weeks and weeks following the "phone and computer must be on the same wi-fi network" instruction when all along, because my computer is on Ethernet, I have to have the computer wi-fi off.  Completely unexpected.

Now to get Facetime to recognize the selected mic ...