Teardown of 27" Retina iMac reveals identical parts, construction as last-gen model

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58

I thought Schiller seemed unusually dour, too.

He had this whole "one more thing" speech prepared but scrapped it for "the rumor mill spoiled our surprise, but try to look delighted when I say 5K iMac."
  • Reply 42 of 58
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Will iTunes begin to offer 4K content for sale so that you can at least have something on it to watch that takes advantage of the screen?

• Reply 43 of 58
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Will iTunes begin to offer 4K content for sale so that you can at least have something on it to watch that takes advantage of the screen?

Quite.

In Steve Jobs's day, he would have announced the release of 4k content on the same day, thereby surprising and delighting us.

Alas, the golden days are past, which means we have to make do with raising an eyebrow and being relieved that things could be worse.
  • Reply 44 of 58
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

Can't wait to see benchmarks comparing the i5/i7 and the GPUs.

• Reply 45 of 58
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Those who can, do.
    Those who can't, tear things down.

Looks like everybody missed the point of the hardware being the same as last year, most spectacularly you.

Apple was able to increase the resolution to 5K, to drive that many more pixels, without having to change any of the hardware elements inside, meaning the power supply, the backlighting, the heat management , etc., because of the efficiency of the oxide backplane for the LCD display. It uses 30% less power, Phil said, but whether that means "less than the previous display" or "than if it were not an oxide 5K display" remains to be clarified, to me at least. Or maybe the backlight uses 30% less power, due to the reduced conductor profile.

Anyway, it's all about electron motility in that combination of elements, which I assume are indium, gallium, and zinc oxide. Your "manufacturing buzzword" IGZO bears watching, because it will extend the useful lifetime of the LCD display at large, dense sizes as we wait for OLED to get its blue pixel act together. Physics are a trip; you should look into it sometime.
  • Reply 46 of 58
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

Hm, has anybody pointed out the little surprise on the back panel...

I can't remember they've mentioned it was 'Assembled in the USA'?

• Reply 47 of 58
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Apple's webpage for the Retina iMac is very cool. As you try to scroll down it actually zooms you out...

• Reply 48 of 58
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Hm, has anybody pointed out the little surprise on the back panel...

I can't remember they've mentioned it was 'Assembled in the USA'?

Yeah, when they switched to this case a year or whenever ago it started being assembled here.

• Reply 49 of 58
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Apple's webpage for the Retina iMac is very cool. As you try to scroll down it actually zooms you out...

I went to the site to see what you were talking about, then I spotted this image:

What? 080p?

• Reply 50 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ibeam wrote: »
    I went to the site to see what you were talking about, then I spotted this image:
    [image]
    What? 080p?

Where do you see that? This is what I see at: http://www.apple.com/imac-with-retina/

• Reply 51 of 58
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I went to the site to see what you were talking abou

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Where do you see that? This is what I see at: http://www.apple.com/imac-with-retina/

Maybe my Safari 5.1.10

• Reply 52 of 58
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quite.

In Steve Jobs's day, he would have announced the release of 4k content on the same day, thereby surprising and delighting us.

Alas, the golden days are past, which means we have to make do with raising an eyebrow and being relieved that things could be worse.

oh, look -- another ghost channeler. tell us, oh lord of the dead, what else would jobs have done? you must have known the man well.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

oh, look -- another ghost channeler. tell us, oh lord of the dead, what else would jobs have done? you must have known the man well.

Once, only once, in the first month after his death did the executives of Apple hold a seance to contact Steve Jobs.

Jony, Phil, Tim, and the rest sat around a Ouija board in the dark and at exactly midnight it began to spell out...

“Guys, what did I ~tell~ you to do? Come on, now...”

• Reply 54 of 58

OK, here is a question to anybody who does have some idea - I do not need a Mac right now, but I am ready to take the plunge and get the 5K iMac. The question is, how much of a difference would Broadwell make as opposed to Haswell (that is currently used I think)?

Is it worth waiting for a refresh, or will there not be much difference performance-wise? I plan on getting the Quad-core i7 4GHz model. If I was to run FCP X, would I really see much difference? What exactly are we expecting with Broadwell?

• Reply 55 of 58
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    Quite.

I wouldn't be so bold as to name myself 'Lord of the Dead', but I will let you know what else Jobs would have done in due course, as you are so eager to know. I look forward to regaling you with those things.
  • Reply 56 of 58
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

I think this means the next update will be next Summer - Skylake, Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1.

Broadwell was more about power savings anyway, which isn't as critical in an iMac. Right?

As usual, buy it now if you need it now.

• Reply 57 of 58
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Broadwell was more about power savings anyway, which isn't as critical in an iMac. Right?

From Marvin's post in the Retina MacBook Pro thread: Broadwell is quite impressive.

So I clearly don't know what I'm talking about. Maybe it's too soon to say they'll skip Broadwell for Skylake.

• Reply 58 of 58
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Maybe it's too soon to say they'll skip Broadwell for Skylake.

Look, this sounds terrible, but whatever gets an nVidia 9xx series chip into a Mac (or a TDP and power-comparable ATI chip) is fine by me. I'll let the Hackintoshers do their thing and I'll get a GeForce 970 for my Mac Pro.