How Apple Pay is designed to avoid the pitfalls of traditional payment systems

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

I'm still upset the new iPads don't accept ?Pay-ments. Talk about a lost opportunity.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You can make payments online with Apple Pay and the new iPads. There's no NFC chip, so no, you cannot hold your iPad up to a terminal at retail.

Yes, but we would like it if people held their iPhones up to an iPad that is being used as a POS terminal....  Apple provides the NFC reader and whoever provides the software you can load on your iPad.

• Reply 62 of 73
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,301member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by em_te View Post

Does your phone need to be connected to the internet?

No!  Your phone send the Data by NFC to the terminal, that Terminal is what's calling out, just like if you swiped a Credit Card.   There's zero reason for a Internet connection on your phone to make a transaction.

• Reply 63 of 73
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Another competitor, SoftCard -- formerly ISIS -- stores consumers' credit card numbers in a secure element on the SIM card itself.

Anyone know when these guys changed their name?

Edit: Pipped by @lantzen
  • Reply 64 of 73
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Misa View Post

Canada and Europe have chip+pin, and we also have NFC already. So if the NFC terminals need to be updated to support Apple Pay, there might be some balking at having to cycle the hardware out yet again...

As I understand it, NFC is all the terminals need to support Apple Pay. So if they already have NFC then no update is necessary.

I believe that there IS some software change needed in the merchant back-office system but that's software-only, not hardware. I expect that vendors of POS systems are providing those to their customers - the merchants.

• Reply 65 of 73
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Yes, but we would like it if people held their iPhones up to an iPad that is being used as a POS terminal....  Apple provides the NFC reader and whoever provides the software you can load on your iPad.

I would expect that Square will update its iPad stand ("Square Stand") device to include NFC. They already have Lightning support and can connect to some external devices, so NFC is an obvious "want".

But you might want something smaller, more like the card reader that Square (and others) offer. Square Reader will soon support chip cards but I haven't seen an announcement about NFC in the reader.

• Reply 66 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Anyone know when these guys changed their name?

Edit: Pipped by @lantzen

Recently enough that some of their partners still call them Isis. https://online.americanexpress.com/mobilewallet/us/mgmt/walletmarketing.jsp

• Reply 67 of 73
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    Recently enough that some of their partners still call them Isis. https://online.americanexpress.com/mobilewallet/us/mgmt/walletmarketing.jsp

Rhetorical tone gets lost in the net at times and this is one of them. I suspected it was timed after ISIS took on a new global meaning.

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/governance-and-risk/more-than-a-name-change-isis-mobile-wallet-becomes-softcard.html,

"The founder of a naming agency, Steve Manning, told Marketplace.org that the terrorist situation in the Middle East gave the ISIS app a “perfect excuse” to rebrand. "
  • Reply 68 of 73
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

If they had an iPod Touch with NFC and the fingerprint reader you could probably use it as well for ?Pay. 

Which leads me to ask why they didn't add NFC to the new mini and Air 2? After all, they have TouchID and if you're carrying them around they could easily be used for payments too.

Seems to me Apple should cram that technology into as many devices as possible.

• Reply 69 of 73
    ahmlco wrote: »
    Which leads me to ask why they didn't add NFC to the new mini and Air 2? After all, they have TouchID and if you're carrying them around they could easily be used for payments too.

Seems to me Apple should cram that technology into as many devices as possible.

It will purely be because Apple doesn't think it's practical for you to hold an iPad to an NFC reader. I don't really, if I saw somebody hold an iPad Air to a card reader for example, or out of the car window at the McDonalds drive through, it would think it looks pretty ridiculous.

That's just my opinion though.
  • Reply 70 of 73
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MazeCookie View Post

It will purely be because Apple doesn't think it's practical for you to hold an iPad to an NFC reader. I don't really, if I saw somebody hold an iPad Air to a card reader for example, or out of the car window at the McDonalds drive through, it would think it looks pretty ridiculous.

If you're walking around carrying an iPad, you're carrying an iPad. So how, exactly, is it easier to put it down and dig out your phone instead?

I think people taking pix with them look silly too, but they do it nonetheless.

• Reply 71 of 73
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Starbucks Pay works better cause I accumulate free drinks and load it as I chose- don't give them my financial info.
    AND I can pay using my iPad , iPad mini, iPod touch or whatever else.
  • Reply 72 of 73
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Starbucks Pay works better cause I accumulate free drinks and load it as I chose- don't give them my financial info.

...for you.

I rarely drink Starbucks so it's not better.
  • Reply 73 of 73
    pazuzu wrote: »

????????????