Facebook introduces anonymous chat app 'Rooms'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

So Facebook has now gotten to the point AOL (and IRC) was 20 years ago.  How nice.  What other wheels will they reinvent?

Exactly what I was thinking.  Makes me wonder if/when Facebook will flame out like AOL did.  For a few years there AOL was the hottest company around; a few years later it was for all practical purposes irrelevant.  Likewise for Yahoo and MySpace to a lesser extent.  In the early 1990's AOL basically had their own alternative/predecessor to the Web that was 1000 times more user friendly that what came before.  It was easy to use, relatively inexpensive, visual rather than texual, etc.  Facebook was revolutionary in similar ways.  But it's not hard to imagine that we're not far from a time when you won't need a particular company to connect you to your friends.  Five years from now going to a particular Web site/using a particular "app" to stay in touch may see as rediculous as "needing" AOL to get online or have a place to discuss your interests and find interesting content.

• Reply 22 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Anyone who entrusts their anonymity to Facebook deserves what they get.

If it's Facebook, it's CRAP. "Anonymous" my ass.

• Reply 23 of 25
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member
    Facebook
    Anonymous

Pick one.

Don't trust that evil Zuckerberg and don't trust Facebook.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,652member
    So Facebook has now gotten to the point AOL (and IRC) was 20 years ago.  How nice.  What other wheels will they reinvent?

Exactly. And we all know how AOL chat rooms deteriorated and were abandoned and there were probably far less trolls on the web back then.