Facebook introduces anonymous chat app 'Rooms'

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
Facebook is taking a stab at anonymous group messaging with its latest app "Rooms," which combines the idea of traditional chatrooms with modern smartphone conveniences.

Designed by Facebook Creative Labs, Rooms is different from other popular anonymous app like Secret and Whisper in that it fosters group discussion, not one-time posts.

Users can start an anonymous room, customize its look with colors, backgrounds, pictures and more, then open it up to others using the app. There is also an option for making the room invite-only, a kind of private anonymous group chat. For convenience, the app generates QR code invitations for posting on social media.

In many ways, the app is simply an anonymous message board, complete with moderators (room creators) who have the ability to review posts prior to publishing, ban users and create age limits. Facebook also applies its own familiar set of rules like flagging posts to be reviewed by the app's staff, who can shut down entire threads if warranted.

In an interview with Re/code, product manager Josh Miller said he envisions Rooms to be a platform, a bit like WordPress for chat rooms.

Users are not required to sign in with a real name, but they do have to register a valid email address. Chat text is also stored on Facebook's servers, though only for purposes of backing up accounts. In theory, if a user enters the same email address for both Facebook and Rooms, chatroom scripts could be linked to real-name accounts, but this is not the company's intention, Miller said.

Rooms is available now as a free 16.5MB download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Anyone who entrusts their anonymity to Facebook deserves what they get.

• Reply 2 of 25
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

It's been interesting to see Facebook struggling to come up with the 'next big thing' after redefining social networking.

You hear about the incredibly long hours the multitude of staff devote their lives to and, when you see something like this, you can't help but think, "What the hell are you guys doing with that time? Surely that can't be everything you came up with?".

It will be interesting to see Facebook's situation in ten years time.

• Reply 3 of 25
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    gtr wrote: »
    It's been interesting to see Facebook struggling to come up with the 'next big thing' after redefining social networking.

You hear about the incredibly long hours the multitude of staff devote their lives to and, when you see something like this, you can't help but think, "What the hell are you guys doing with that time? Surely that can't be everything you came up with?".

It will be interesting to see Facebook's situation in ten years time.

It's what I call the Daffy Duck syndrome. Can only do it once.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    True anonymity at its finest....
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Anonymous. Right. This is the NSA's little tattletale room, kids, so careful what you do in there.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    john.b wrote: »
    Anyone who entrusts their anonymity to Facebook deserves what they get.

robogobo wrote: »
    Anonymous. Right. This is the NSA's little tattletale room, kids, so careful what you do in there.

Yet Facebook hasn't committed any of the absolutely heinous acts Google has, as far as i know.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    No thank you FB.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    I'm just interested in the choice of name. I have an iOS irc client called Rooms. That could be used for "anonymous" chatting. They should sue Facebook.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Go on NAMBLA members, I'm sure it's perfectly safe to use. Really, I beg of you, use it. No, I'm not Chris Hansen.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Yet Facebook hasn't committed any of the absolutely heinous acts Google has, as far as i know.

http://consumerist.com/2014/06/12/facebook-is-now-selling-your-web-browsing-data-to-advertisers/

• Reply 11 of 25

So Facebook has now gotten to the point AOL (and IRC) was 20 years ago.  How nice.  What other wheels will they reinvent?

• Reply 12 of 25

It's not anonymous. But what a great way to catch pedophiles!

• Reply 13 of 25

Or political dissidents. 

• Reply 14 of 25

“Facebook”

“anonymous”

• Reply 15 of 25
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

And this came out of Facebook's "Creative" Labs? They are redefining creativity over at Facebook... Of course they managed to redefine privacy, so why not...

• Reply 16 of 25
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Facebook is taking a stab at anonymous group messaging with its latest app "Rooms," which combines the idea of traditional chatrooms with modern smartphone conveniences.

Designed by Facebook Creative Labs, <a href="http://appleinsider.com/l/?link=https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rooms-create-something-together/id924643029?mt=8"><em>Rooms</em></a> is different from other popular anonymous app like <a href="http://appleinsider.com/l/?link=https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/secret-speak-freely/id775307543?mt=8"><em>Secret</em></a> and <a href="http://appleinsider.com/l/?link=https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/whisper-share-express-meet/id506141837?mt=8"><em>Whisper</em></a> in that it fosters group discussion, not one-time posts.

er, did you miss that big expose on how Whisper isn't actually, you know, anonymous? that they don't delete your stuff?
  • Reply 17 of 25
    So...they reinvented AOL?
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

It's pretty frustrating to think about how much the world under-utilizes its top talent. Yes, really, the world cannot wait for the next SnapChat, you geniuses.

• Reply 19 of 25
    It's pretty frustrating to think about how much the world under-utilizes its top talent. Yes, really, the world cannot wait for the next SnapChat, you geniuses.

I didn't know "the world" was an employer. ????
  • Reply 20 of 25
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Or even it's 'average' talent.

You know that old myth about how we were only supposedly using 10% of our brain? Although believed to be false now, I wouldn't be surprised if that figure was accurate for most organisations anywhere in the world...