Getting the most out of the revamped OS X Spotlight search in Yosemite

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Awesome image I love AI.

I missed that strangely. My MO is to try option and command and shift ... and every combination .. with both click and double click on everything just to see what I can break. Then I read that manual. image

HA! Pretty much what I do. Mac philosophy 101.

• Reply 42 of 69
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Gotchya ... Oh I remember having internal drives on my Aluminum Mac Pro image Yes you are pushing your luck at 85%. I'd DW them asap. I run it weekly.

No such luxury now of course with the nMac Pro ... but external TB drives are growing on me. I build my own using dual TB docks and bare Barracudas. RAID 0 works a treat using built in soft raid in disk utils.

Why RAID 0? Isn't a single drive fast enough for full HD pro res? I use RAID 1 on the servers for redundancy. My Mac drives are just two separate drives. As data gets older I move it to the second drive and keep the current working files on the boot drive.

When I upgrade to an external RAID I'll probably get a Pegasus. I think those are hardware RAID aren't they?

• Reply 43 of 69
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Apple Spotlight should allow to search as Sherlock did in Mac OS 9 (shocking but true!).

As HoudahSpot does now, allowing to customize and remember search options. I never search for kind by Name contains, etc.
    http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/21333/houdahspot

Likewise, it should also allow to search non-indexed volumes, as EasyFind does.
    http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11076/easyfind
  • Reply 44 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splif View Post

Can't you just click on the nested folder on the right side of spotlight?

No... but Cmd + a double-click did the trick for me (thanks @Mystigo!), enabling me to open the containing folder with the selected item highlighted...

• Reply 45 of 69
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I wonder how much Spotlight will hurt googles wallet?
  • Reply 46 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    ibeam wrote: »
    Why RAID 0? Isn't a single drive fast enough for full HD pro res? I use RAID 1 on the servers for redundancy. My Mac drives are just two separate drives. As data gets older I move it to the second drive and keep the current working files on the boot drive.

When I upgrade to an external RAID I'll probably get a Pegasus. I think those are hardware RAID aren't they?

Pegasus use a hardware RAID I am pretty sure. I have been using soft RAID since the 1990's making TV shows for ESPN with Media 100. Never had a problem. In my experience it's never the bare drives that go south, always the boards in ready made drives.

Yep, HD would be fine without RAID but I am playing with 4K video in FCPro X. Actually even then I probably don't need RAID 0, I initially set it up for fun and was so impressed with the performance kept it. It's backed up onto stand alone anyway. Even Photoshop and Aperture are noticeably faster on this set up. I can scroll through a 375 GIG Aperture Library and there is hardly any hesitation showing thumbs and previews. I have my scratch disk for PS there too. Remember we poor sods with new Mac Pros have tiny SSD boot drives to live with. There is a hell of a speed increase obviously using a pair of Barracudas in TB with a RAID 0 config. Every mili second counts when you retire ;)

I guess, I make my own as I can't justify buying ready made RAIDs these days even if I wanted to, but as I say I have had good experience and avoid hardware that can get fried at times.
  • Reply 47 of 69
    webmaestro wrote: »
    No... but Cmd + a double-click did the trick for me (thanks @Mystigo!), enabling me to open the containing folder with the selected item highlighted...

Yep great tip.

BTW It's best to use quote rather than reply then folks can see who and what you are replying to.
  • Reply 48 of 69
    cali wrote: »
    I wonder how much Spotlight will hurt googles wallet?

Is there a connection? I think you are mixing Spotlight with ?Pay there ... or I am seriously behind the curve here ... :D

And yes ?Pay will crucify Google Wallet.
  • Reply 49 of 69
    splif wrote: »
    HA! Pretty much what I do. Mac philosophy 101.

I've embraced that since I was on my Lisa training course at Apple HQ ... then moved it to the Mac. It's rarely failed me. My wife asks me from her MBP ...'Help ... how do you do this or that' ... I sit down at her Mac and quickly try the above and 99% of the time can say in a few seconds ... 'there, like that, how did not know that?' :)
  • Reply 50 of 69
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    And yes ?Pay will crucify Google Wallet.

Just as iOS/iPhone opened up the way for Android/Android-based OEMs to exist, ?Pay will open the way for mobile payment systems on other mobile devices to exist and gain marketshare in a modern computing age. As usual, Apple paved the way, and the rest will follow.

Perhaps in 5 years or so Android (or something else) will have a higher install-based with their modern, copy-cat version of ?Pay that puts the financial institutions in control, but with the OEMs and Google needing to work with the banks in some form to get the added security -and- (currently) a low-percentage of non-iOS-based mobile devices being used extensively like the iPhone (read: flagship device) Apple will likely have a lead in mobile payments they way have had a longstanding lead in mobile purchases through the web browser and apps to date.
  • Reply 51 of 69
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Just as iOS/iPhone opened up the way for Android/Android-based OEMs to exist, ?Pay will open the way for mobile payment systems on other mobile devices to exist and gain marketshare in a modern computing age. As usual, Apple paved the way, and the rest will follow. Perhaps in 5 years or so Android (or something else) will a higher install-based with their modern, copy-cat version of ?Pay that puts the financial institutions in control, but with the OEMs and Google needing to work with the banks in some form to get the added security -and- low percentage of non-iOS-based mobile devices being used extensively like the iPhone (read: flagship device) Apple will likely have a lead in mobile payments they way have had a long standing lead in mobile purchases through the web browser and apps.

Agreed. Given there is probably a few years of massive dominance and probably an ongoing dominance of some kind, what do you feel it will do to AAPL? Is it another leg on the stool?
  • Reply 52 of 69
    Agreed. Given there is probably a few years of massive dominance and probably an ongoing dominance of some kind, what do you feel it will do to AAPL? Is it another leg on the stool?

I think the usual cycle will occur. The bottom feeders will denigrate Apple because 1) it makes better headlines, and 2) they want to short the stock, but ultimately Apple will continue to rise, save for nature ebbs and flows of the market.

I don't see ?Pay ever been a leg, anymore than iTunes Music Sales are a leg among their Services category, but it will bring in a lot of "free" money over the years as criminals have to find easier ways to extract money. Within 3 years I think it's going to be tough to find banks in the US and other developed countries that don't support ?Pay (or something like it for non-iOS-based devices).
  • Reply 53 of 69
    I think the usual cycle will occur. The bottom feeders will denigrate Apple because 1) it makes better headlines, and 2) they want to short the stock, but ultimately Apple will continue to rise, save for nature ebbs and flows of the market.

I don't see ?Pay ever been a leg, anymore than iTunes Music Sales are a leg among their Services category, but it will bring in a lot of "free" money over the years as criminals have to find easier ways to extract money. Within 3 years I think it's going to be tough to find banks in the US and other developed countries that don't support ?Pay (or something like it for non-iOS-based devices).

I was wondering if Tim might see some way to segue into some form of financial business. Not banking as such but something related. Apple has more money than many banks, heck and many countries. They also have trust and the best recognized and most respected name on the planet. That is what I was meaning by another leg. By the way, didn't I see that those loss leaders and hobbies such as iTunes etc. now make more money alone than many fortune 500 companies?

We are three years off needing to dip into our stocks and I just want to see AAPL get to 200 by then :)

AAPL 105+ :smokey:
  • Reply 54 of 69
    I don't see any reason for Apple to include those options, but if they are important to you and the only two reasons to stick with Alfred you may want to consider using Automator to make a simple command that will permit this to happen. Just name them Sleep.app and Restart.app, respectively, and you'll be good to go.

Good idea, I'll try that, thanks!
  • Reply 55 of 69
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Jojade View Post

I absolutely HATE that the spotlight is not anchored to the spotlight icon in the menu bar like it used to be. Why is it centered on the screen?  I have to now re-focus my attention and find spotlight on the screen in a sea of open windows versus having it appear under my mouse like a proper interface should.  What was the purpose of that???

Couldn't disagree more. I love the new format. Also, why the heck would you go explicitly click on spotlight with your mouse? Never heard of the command-space shortcut? A million times faster. 

• Reply 56 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Jojade View Post

I absolutely HATE that the spotlight is not anchored to the spotlight icon in the menu bar like it used to be. Why is it centered on the screen?  I have to now re-focus my attention and find spotlight on the screen in a sea of open windows versus having it appear under my mouse like a proper interface should.  What was the purpose of that???

I think you'll find they assume you will no longer use a mouse to bring up a search. Using Command-Space is by far the quickest way to bring up the search. Still having it available on the menu bar is just so people don't think it has been removed...

• Reply 57 of 69
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Couldn't disagree more. I love the new format. Also, why the heck would you go explicitly click on spotlight with your mouse? Never heard of the command-space shortcut? A million times faster. 

Yup, though I changed my keyboard shortcut to control space because it interfered with the zoom tool shortcut in Adobe's products.

• Reply 58 of 69
    splif wrote: »

Yup, though I changed my keyboard shortcut to control space because it interfered with the zoom tool shortcut in Adobe's products.

I think i've only changed the shortcuts for the shortcuts to save a picture of the whole screen and selected areas. This may seem like a minor change to some but I use it often so not having to hold down a third key (I think it's the Shift key) saves makes it a smoother experience.

• Reply 59 of 69

I don't use the mouse for spotlight - I always use the keyboard shortcut, so having it show up front and center isn't disjointed to me at all. Preferred, even.
  • Reply 60 of 69
    ascii wrote: »
    The fact that OS X now sends your search terms to Microsoft without asking (opt-out), makes Tim Cook's trip to China to talk about privacy seem a little ridiculous.

You're comparing sending anonymous search terms to a search engine for search results, to the hacking of personally identified accounts? Absurd.e