Getting the most out of the revamped OS X Spotlight search in Yosemite

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    ascii wrote: »
    I think you also have to uncheck item 2 in that list, "Spotlight Suggestions" and then open Safari and uncheck "Include Spotlight Suggestions" in the Search tab to disable all sending of search queries to the Internet.

But that doesn't change the fact that it started sending them without asking first. How hard is it to pop up a dialog and ask whether you want your searches to be local only or go out to the Internet? 1 line of code to pop up the query sheet + 10 more lines for an event handler when you click Yes or No?

The reason for this is clear to me. They turn it on by default and make it hard to turn off (3 locations) because they want people to get in the habit of doing their web searches through Spotlight instead of google.com, and thereby cut off the advertising revenue of their competition. If it works it will put Google in a pretty pickle, but ultimately it is putting corporate strategic concerns ahead of the user and the product which, in the long term, always ends badly.

I disagree. I believe they don't offer an opt-in wizard check like you describe for the same reasons you advocate -- user experience. It would only confuse non technies like my parents. They'd get scared and say No without understanding it. Since the act itself is completely benign, the more user friendly course of action is to include the useful feature by default, and allow the paranoid to opt out.
  • Reply 62 of 69
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Jojade View Post

I absolutely HATE that the spotlight is not anchored to the spotlight icon in the menu bar like it used to be. Why is it centered on the screen?  I have to now re-focus my attention and find spotlight on the screen in a sea of open windows versus having it appear under my mouse like a proper interface should.  What was the purpose of that???

I was of the same opinion, since I too always use the mouse instead of the keyboard shortcut (it's strange but it's one of those shortcuts I can never get used to using since day one, though I use tens if not hundreds of shortcuts) but after a using the dev. previews for a while I got accustomed to it and now it comes very natural to just click up there then focus in the middle. I think it will grow on you, give it a bit of time.  

• Reply 63 of 69
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    I ll pass on this one... untill I get my search UI back where it was and an switch to only search localy. This ist just PLAIN STUPID!!! OS X is NOT just for the web like IOS, morons. I search for local files with spotlight 100% of the time.
  • Reply 64 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

Even if I unchecked everything except documents, it still would not be usable in my workflow, as I mentioned, because it does not show the path to the document and in most instances if I am looking for a LARGE .psd I don't want to wait 30 seconds to see a preview, I just want to go to the parent directory. The traditional search suits my needs exactly.

Amen!

• Reply 65 of 69

I'd like Apple to be honest in where this is going. I'm reading between the lines and I dont like it ONE bit. OS X is moving towards IOS one step at the time. I've said it before and i'll say it again. If Apple removes the file system from OS X. That will be the end of my customer relationship with Apple.  It would be nice to know now so everybody can make an exitplan if they dont like it.

• Reply 66 of 69
    Originally Posted by habi View Post

I'd like Apple to be honest in where this is going.

A multitouch desktop.

I've said it before and i'll say it again. If Apple removes the file system from OS X. That will be the end of my customer relationship with Apple.  

Lucky for you there’s a filesystem in iOS and in every other operating system made this side of at least 1990, so you can keep buying Apple products no matter what they release.

Quit whining and deal with it. In the near future, you’re going to be shown a better method in every conceivable way to get at your documents than folder trees. And you’re going to whine about how you like the worse way better. And then when no company will hire you without experience using a modern computer, you’ll have to make a decision you should have made right now.

• Reply 67 of 69

Cmd-F for me. Spotlight is worse than useless for searching on the Mac.

• Reply 68 of 69
    if you wana get the best free apps for your iphone, ipad, and ipod touch you are reading the lucky comment now just click and visit this website : http://www.panguios8.net/
  • Reply 69 of 69
    I like the center screen Spotlight. And the Quicklook pane on the right of the search results is ok. But I really want to be able to see a full view Quicklook of the item I select, like I can in a Finder window. Normally we do this by highlighting a file and tapping Spacebar, but this doesn't work because that just clears the Spotlight Search field and adds a space. Does anyone know how to get a real full view Quicklook from the new Spotlight?