Nearly half of Gazelle's early iPhone upgrades ordered Apple's larger, more expensive iPhone 6 Plus

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I can see that.

I also think the increase in NAND by 48GB instead of 16GB is going to cause a lot of mid-tier purchases, so between both the iPhone 6 Plus and the mid-tier option of both devices I think we'll see an APR for the iPhone rise considerably this quarter. I didn't notice if this happened for the previous quarter with about 10 days of iPhone 6 series sales. I think this is even more interesting as Samsung had been reporting a drop in APR.

Does it always have to be about beating Samsung, really, who cares, you guys don't even use their products so why is it so necessary to mention them so much. Other than some silly human need to villainize the things you don't like it makes absolutely no sense to me.

• Reply 22 of 73
    Quote:

People like larger displays, not necessarily a larger device. What Apple did would not have been possible years ago.

Why not, the competition actually sold quite a few larger displayed phones. What changed now that made all of this possible? The technology was certainly their, the A7 and even the A6 could have easily handled a 5" 1080P Display.

• Reply 23 of 73
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    relic wrote: »
    Does it always have to be about beating Samsung, really, who cares, you guys don't even use their products so why is it so necessary to mention them so much. Other than some silly human need to villainize the things you don't like it makes absolutely no sense to me.

It's not bout beating Samsung, but rather Samsung is the only one I can recall that has stated their APRs are dropping due to a saturated of the higher-end (Android-based) handset market. If HTC, LG, Motorola, Nokia, Huawei or any other handset market has made the same statement I didn't see it, which is probably because their effect on the handset market is comparability too small compared to Samsung and Apple to make any waves. Anyone pro-Samsung should take that as a compliment that they even register. By that same token, when nobody cares compares their product to the iPhone is when it's too late for Apple.
  • Reply 24 of 73
    Why not, the competition actually sold quite a few larger displayed phones. What changed now that made all of this possible? The technology was certainly their, the A7 and even the A6 could have easily handled a 5" 1080P Display.

• Reply 25 of 73
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member

You're completely right, of course.
    But hey, they started it !
  • Reply 26 of 73
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

I can't really feel confident rushing to embrace a casual, informal survey by...Gazelle???

• Reply 27 of 73
    Quote:

Oh no I got it and I have no doubt they could have come up with the same design at least 2 years ago. If not a 5" iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5s would have been just as successful as the new iPhone 6 Plus.

• Reply 28 of 73
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

People like larger displays, not necessarily a larger device. What Apple did would not have been possible years ago.

>>scads of data<<

Perfectly valid point, and I sincerely appreciate the work that went into compiling all that.

Personally, I suspect people are willing to favor a device that's only reasonably larger,

given the other-wordly functionality of these little beasts...

And, it's been said, but a lot of us find a larger screen a tremendous encouragement to explore those capabilities.

Regarding how that impacts device size, we finally got our 6's Tuesday, and all three of us (me/wife/son)

were immediately struck by the sense that, while it may actually be larger (in some dimensions),

it somehow handles discernibly, dramatically smaller...

• Reply 29 of 73
    Oh no I got it and I have no doubt they could have come up with the same design at least 2 years ago.

To be clear, you're saying they could have come up with the same resolution devices, with the same lithography, with the same size batteries, offering the same battery life, with the same CPU and GPU performance, within the same external design casings and weights back in 2012? So Apple has been being lazy up until now? :no:
  • Reply 30 of 73
    boredumb wrote: »
    Regarding how that impacts device size, we finally got our 6's Tuesday, and all three of us (me/wife/son)
    were immediately struck by the sense that, while it may actually be larger (in some dimensions),
    it somehow handles discernibly, dramatically [SIZE=11px]smaller...[/SIZE]

The curvature and thinness certainly helps with that. I know a Lilliputian girl who was concerned that it would be toolarge coming from the 3.5" iPhone 4S, which is heavier than her iPhone 6 and likely has more total volume due to the squared sides.
  • Reply 31 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Oh no I got it and I have no doubt they could have come up with the same design at least 2 years ago.

Quote:

To be clear, you're saying they could have come up with the same resolution devices, with the same lithography, with the same size batteries, offering the same battery life, with the same CPU and GPU performance, within the same external design casings and weights back in 2012? So Apple has been being lazy up until now? image

I revised what I said and yes, not the lazy part. They waited for the market to mature or just wanted to play out their design as long as it was possible. But an iPhone 5.5" 4, 4s, 5, 5s would have been just as successful as the iPhone 6 Plus. Apple did not have to wait until they could make it smaller, the iPhone 5s design was more than small enough, in fact I would have preferred the thickness. It also didn't need the performance, what does that have to do with phone size, the A6 or A7 was more than fast enough to push a 1080p 5.5" display and the larger size would have meant a larger battery could fit in it. In fact battery tech hasn't changed all that much in 2 years.

• Reply 32 of 73
    They waited for the market to mature.

Maybe, or maybe with their 2 year device casing cycle it simply wasn't mature enough when they had to make a decision in 2011(?) to settle on a next iPhone cycle. Regardless, that isn't what you stated, and it's irrational to say they could have had this iPhone 6 series arrive in 2012 when the technology for it didn't exist, even with Apple pushing the consumer market ahead with 64-bit ARM, 20nm ARM, and the on-chip security that makes both their convenient biometric scanner and NFC solutions viable today.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    Well you know Apple, relic.
    They don't release product until they're satisfied the user experience is superior. Not to mention the supply-side of the manufacturing chain.
  • Reply 34 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post

They don't release product until they're satisfied the user experience is superior. Not to mention the supply-side of the manufacturing chain.

Okay this conversation has gotten side track, my whole point was that large displayed phones sell. If Apple released a 5" or even a 5.5" iPhone 5 or 5s, the technology was most defiantly there for them to do so and do so well, they would have sold like hot cakes. People want large phones, they sell, there is a huge market for them. That's it, that's all I was trying to convey.

• Reply 35 of 73
    At least we didn't mention the "S" word :-)
  • Reply 36 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post

At least we didn't mention the "S" word :-)

schlong 

scrote

shit

shitass

shitbag

shitbagger

shitbrains

shitbreath

shitcanned

shitcunt 

shitdick

shitface

shitfaced

shithead

shithole

shithouse

shitspitter

shitstain

shitter

shittiest

shitting

shitty

shiz 

shiznit

skank

skeet

skullfuck

slut

slutbag

smeg

snatch

splooge

suckass

Which is it, oh wait, you don't mean, no, no, noooooooooooo.

• Reply 37 of 73
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Okay this conversation has gotten side track, my whole point was that large displayed phones sell. If Apple released a 5" or even a 5.5" iPhone 5 or 5s, the technology was most defiantly there for them to do so and do so well, they would have sold like hot cakes. People want large phones, they sell, there is a huge market for them. That's it, that's all I was trying to convey.

That's fair. It obviously wouldn't be as thin and/or battery life would be greatly different (due to less efficient parts)- but Ya- they could've had a 5" iphone 2 yrs ago.

They didn't.

I have a feeling we're going to repeat this in 2-4yrs about a 4" iPhone we could've had in 2014 or 2016
  • Reply 38 of 73
    Yep, that's the one.
    That's a fine compilation of adjectives and nouns btw.
    /kudos :D
  • Reply 39 of 73
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    This is the early adopter phase of the sequence and the Plus is going to attract us over the less different 6.

Interestingly enough, the Chinese pre-orders were about equally interested in both iPhone 6 models.
  • Reply 40 of 73
    robm wrote: »

I disagree. The technology was not most defiantly there. Apple has mentioned on multiple occasions that one of the biggest difficulties they faced in the development of the iPad Mini was getting a good yield of touch screens with an accurate color gamet and brightness across the entire screen... a requirement that has never bothered Samsung.