Nearly half of Gazelle's early iPhone upgrades ordered Apple's larger, more expensive iPhone 6 Plus

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I disagree. The technology was not most defiantly there. Apple has mentioned on multiple occasions that one of the biggest difficulties they faced in the development of the iPad Mini was getting a good yield of touch screens with an accurate color gamet and brightness across the entire screen... a requirement that has never bothered Samsung.

Well, if that was true then they never should have released the iPad mini. Only the larger iPad Air has the accurate display.

• Reply 42 of 73
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    staticx57 wrote: »
    Well, if that was true then they never should have released the iPad mini. Only the larger iPad Air has the accurate display.

Nice troll.
    uhh - there was no Air when they released the iPad mini.
    And besides that, the mini provides a perfectly good user experience albeit with less pixels.
    (Typed on my iPad 2)

According to you no one should release anything because they'll always be something better - oh wait, that's how it works. Damn tech companies use the tech that they have access to and supply of. Who'd a thunk of that ?
  • Reply 43 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Nice troll.

uhh - there was no Air when they released the iPad mini.

And besides that, the mini provides a perfectly good user experience albeit with less pixels.

(Typed on my iPad 2)

According to you no one should release anything because they'll always be something better - oh wait, that's how it works. Damn tech companies use the tech that they have access to and supply of. Who'd a thunk of that ?

Perhaps you have a fonder memory of what actually happened. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6429/ipad-mini-review/4

The iPad mini is beaten in every single test by either the iPad 2 or the 3/4. Not to mention the iPad mini with retina display is soundly beaten by the Air in every single way. http://www.anandtech.com/show/7519/apple-ipad-mini-with-retina-display-reviewed/3

The point is I believe that Apple just did not want to admit that there was pent up demand for the larger screen iPhones. If screen quality was the issue then the iPad mini should not exist either as it is clearly inferior to the full size iPad.

I would not bother with an iPad anyways, if I want to get something done I ALWAYS reach for my Macbook Pro.

(Typed on my Macbook Pro with Retina Display...see how that works).

• Reply 44 of 73
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    The iPad mini is beaten in every single test by either the iPad 2 or the 3/4. Not to mention the iPad mini with retina display is soundly beaten by the Air in every single way.

Every single way? No.

iPad mini is lighter than the iPad (Air).
    iPad mini is smaller than the iPad (Air).
    iPad mini has a much higher pixel density than the iPad (Air).
    iPad mini is less expensive than the iPad (Air).
  • Reply 45 of 73
    lol. Good riposte !

I don't own a mini - but have used several. I really like their form factor and still do.
    They are limited though, because of the form factor, not the dpi.
    In airports they're perfect. On planes theyre not so good - Id rather watch a movie on my iPad for obvious reasons.
    I suspect they may well be eol with the 6+ chewing into their sales.

We'll see
  • Reply 46 of 73
    robm wrote: »
    I suspect they may well be eol with the 6+ chewing into their sales.

We'll see

I don't think so, because the screen size different very different.

Note: The 9.7" iPad isn't even shown.
  • Reply 47 of 73
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I disagree. The technology was not most defiantly there. Apple has mentioned on multiple occasions that one of the biggest difficulties they faced in the development of the iPad Mini was getting a good yield of touch screens with an accurate color gamet and brightness across the entire screen... a requirement that has never bothered Samsung.

So the technology was there just not in enough quantity. Yea, sorry, I don't by that either. The iPhone 5 increased it's size to 4" in the time frame were are discussing, they could have just as easily manufactured a 5" version as well. The Note 2, released at the same time actually had a very good screen, one of the best at the time, it was the last Samsung I owned so I have a little recollection of it. It doesn't matter what I post on the subject though, this sounds like a perfectly logical reason to you as to why Apple didn't release a 5" version when they released the iPhone 5 4". Though interesting enough, problems with technology were not among the excuses in any of the threads here from 2012, no most of them were about how Apple users just don't want a larger screen, that 4" is the perfect display size. Which is really what I'm trying to get at, everything is bad until Apple releases their version, than it's good.

• Reply 48 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Every single way? No.

iPad mini is lighter than the iPad (Air).

iPad mini is smaller than the iPad (Air).

iPad mini has a much higher pixel density than the iPad (Air).

iPad mini is less expensive than the iPad (Air).

I was talking about mainly about the display quality but you have some valid points. But for my preferences I would rather pay more to have the higher quality screen of the Air. And while the point of less expensive is true, I feel that the marginal cost to upgrade to the Air more than makes up for what you get when you do. And now with the iPad mini 3 compared to the iPad Air 2, I could not justify the downgrade in quality for the price difference. But I guess none of this matters as I do not really want a tablet in any size.

• Reply 49 of 73
    @ Soli
    Yep - iPhone 6+ doesn't really challenge for screen real estate but it's kinda right on the cusp of where consumers will spend their money.
    I said before I love the form factor of the mini but I put a higher value on the size of a full iPad.
    I know I don't need three devices but certainly 2.

That said I prefer the 6 form factor over the 6+
    So for me a phone and iPad is best.
    Some people may opt for a middle solution money wise and go for the 6+ and iPad
    In both of those scenarios the case for the mini is compromised

It'll depend on sales that's for sure
  • Reply 50 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post

But I guess none of this matters as I do not really want a tablet in any size.

Oh gosh why not, their awesome, even if you own one for casual reading and surfing. I would start out with something small and inexpensive, the Kindle HDX actually makes a really good starter tablet.

• Reply 51 of 73
    relic wrote: »
    So the technology was there just not in enough quantity. Yea, sorry, I don't by that either. The iPhone 5 increased it's size to 4" in the time frame were are discussing, they could have just as easily manufactured a 5" version as well. The Note 2, released at the same time actually had a very good screen, one of the best at the time, it was the last Samsung I owned so I have a little recollection of it. It doesn't matter what I post on the subject though, this sounds like a perfectly logical reason to you as to why Apple didn't release a 5" version when they released the iPhone 5 4". Though interesting enough, problems with technology were not among the excuses in any of the threads here from 2012, no most of them were about how Apple users just don't want a larger screen, that 4" is the perfect display size. Which is really what I'm trying to get at, everything is bad until Apple releases their version, than it's good.

None of that makes sense. You can't possibly know what it takes to manufacture a 5.5" display over a 4" one. Did you even consider it has over 2x the display area? Did you consider that Apple sells more in the first weekend than Samsung sells of the Note in a quarter? Did you consider any logistics before commenting?

It wasn't possible back in 2012 to have the exact iPhone 6 series we have today and that's a inarguable fact despite your attempts to say otherwise.

I was talking about mainly about the display quality but you have some valid points. But for my preferences I would rather pay more to have the higher quality screen of the Air. And while the point of less expensive is true, I feel that the marginal cost to upgrade to the Air more than makes up for what you get when you do. And now with the iPad mini 3 compared to the iPad Air 2, I could not justify the downgrade in quality for the price difference. But I guess none of this matters as I do not really want a tablet in any size.

For me the original Retina iPad mini was the better deal, even with the visually worse display, despite having owned nearly all previous iPads (skipped iPad 4).
  • Reply 52 of 73
    Yep - iPhone 6+ doesn't really challenge for screen real estate but it's kinda right on the cusp of where consumers will spend their money.

Psychologically I can see that, but I think the iPhone 6 Plus to the iPad mini has the largest percentage jump of all iDevices right now.

(I've run enough numbers today. I'll let someone else figure out the percentages.)
  • Reply 53 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Oh gosh why not, their awesome, even if you own one for casual reading and surfing. I would start out with something small and inexpensive, the Kindle HDX actually makes a really good starter tablet.

You know, I actually bought an HP Touchpad when they had their firesale knowing full well that it was DOA. Even compared the the first iPad it was crap, but for the price it was an experiment. I use it once in a while just out of plain curiosity. It mostly collects dust. Obviously that is not the best example of a tablet but I find it not nearly as portable as a phone and not nearly as useful and powerful as OS X. I have played with the iPad Airs in stores and think they are tremendous devices, but I still feel I would still use my Macbook more so I do not feel it would be worth it for me.

• Reply 54 of 73
    I have played with the iPad Airs in stores and think they are tremendous devices, but I still feel I would still use my Macbook more so I do not feel it would be worth it for me.

Jeez, isn't it absolutely fantastic we have this many choices ?
    Really, spoiled for choice how we might integrate tech into our lives.
    We bitch and moan about this and that and on what device is better and on what we spend our money on.
    Step back even 10 years ..... incredible really.
    /Thoughtful aside over
  • Reply 55 of 73
    Jeez, isn't it absolutely fantastic we have this many choices ?
    Really, spoiled for choice how we might integrate tech into our lives.
    We bitch and moan about this and that and on what device is better and on what we spend our money on.
    Step back even 10 years ..... incredible really.
    /Thoughtful aside over

The irony of all this great technology making our lives easier is that we now have more time to bitch about the technology we don't yet have.
  • Reply 56 of 73
    Qft
    Or we're just that f'n spoiled we'll bitch and moan - because we can !
  • Reply 57 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It wasn't possible back in 2012 to have the exact iPhone 6 series we have today and that's a inarguable fact despite your attempts to say otherwise.

First I said 5", fine I except they probably couldn't pull off the current design but I keep saying a larger iPhone 5 or 5s, why you keep focusing on the current design is beyond me, I posted my first comment to early but I added iPhone 5 before you had a chance to reply and I kept repeating iPhone 5, 5s in my last 3 posts. So continuing, the technology was absolutely their for that model and I don't believe for a second that Apple couldn't pull of the logistics, your making Apple sound like a small company with limited resources. if Samsung could make the Note 2 and 3 in large enough quantities, so could have Apple and despite how you feel about Samsung, they did sell a lot of Note 2's, 3 million in the first month and almost doubled that in the second. Though I also except that Apple has sold more iPhone 6 Plus's in the same time period but the market was also different two years ago. Sorry but what both of us have said is just conjecture but I truly believe Apple would have had no problems making a larger iPhone 5, especially an iPhone 5s. There is always these type of excuses when Apple is late to the party with anything and I just don't by it, at least not without any substantial proof.

However again all of this was never my point, you just found something that bothered you and latched on. I was just tying to convey that people, even Apple iPhone users want large displays, despite what has been said here through out the years on the subject. Now those complaints or blatant hatred for larger phone has all but disappeared from this board,  just shows you, like anything else that people have complained about here, until Apple releases their version it sucks.

• Reply 58 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post

You know, I actually bought an HP Touchpad when they had their firesale knowing full well that it was DOA. Even compared the the first iPad it was crap, but for the price it was an experiment. I use it once in a while just out of plain curiosity. It mostly collects dust. Obviously that is not the best example of a tablet but I find it not nearly as portable as a phone and not nearly as useful and powerful as OS X. I have played with the iPad Airs in stores and think they are tremendous devices, but I still feel I would still use my Macbook more so I do not feel it would be worth it for me.

Okay fair enough, you should flash your HP TouchPad with CyanogenMod 11 (KitKat 4.4.4) and breath new life into it. It's head over heals better than WebOS at this point. There is even a handy little utility called TPToolbox, that makes flashing the TouchPad extremely easy, you can grab the newest CyanogenMod ROM here. If CyanogenMod doesn't float your boat you can flash others, which you can find here. If the tablet is just collecting dust than there is really no reason for you not to do it, you might even enjoy it as despite what people say around here about Android, a vanillla build like CyanogenMod is actually fairly nice and you will find most of the apps people use on iOS in the Play Store, again despite what people say here. You can also do all of this using your MacBook as TPToolbox is compatible with OSX. If you have any problems let me know, I can walk you through the process, this is worth doing staticx57, don't ignore it as I have no doubt that you will appreciate it once you've done it.

• Reply 59 of 73

I am waiting for Apple to fix all of the problems with the iPhone 6 + before I place my order! 

Just do not want to have any problems going forward!  

Looks like it going to take a while to fix - especially the bending below the volume switch.   The others should be easier to solve!

• Reply 60 of 73
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

I saw someone walking down the street the other day talking on a 6Plus phonecall and they looked utterly ridiculous.

They might as well have a shoe up to their ear like Maxwell Smart.