CVS joins Rite Aid in blocking Apple Pay in "CurrentC" plan to collect more customer data

Comments

• Reply 381 of 502
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    And people were saying Apple Pay wasn't going to have an impact. Boy were they wrong. It's caused two retailers who previously used to accept NFC to specifically turn the feature off. It's made a lot of people aware of CurrentC and how crappy it really is. And it's the hottest topic of conversation on all tech blogs.

I'm amazed at how much misinformation is out there regarding ?Pay. Some of it I think is intentional misleading but others seem to be completely ignorant. I just saw a post on Ars Technica that said people should boycott ?Pay because it's a proprietary solution. What a crock of shit. No you can't use ?Pay on an Android phone but Google Wallet does basically the same thing. And if Microsoft wanted to create their own version of ?Pay they could do it too. Retailers that accept ?Pay except any other form of contactless payment.
  • Reply 382 of 502
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

*Later, while being indicted for fraud*

“Now, Mr. Solipsism, could you please tell us about this... signature... used to buy [product] at [time]?”

“I dunno, is it a picture of the French Riviera?”

“... Yes, yes it is. I’m sorry, sir; this has been a misunderstanding.”

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Now that would be fraud as my drawing skills are inline with a 6yo with a box of fat crayons.

“Now, Mr. Solipsism, could you please tell us about this... signature... used to buy [product] at [time]?”

“I dunno, is it a picture of Geraldo Rivera?”

“... Yes, yes it is. I’m sorry, sir; this has been a misunderstanding.”

• Reply 383 of 502
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by muaddib View Post

Tell them how you feel here

CVS

http://www.cvs.com/help/email-customer-relations.jsp?callType=store&topicid=200018

and 

here

Rite-Aid

https://www.riteaid.com/customer-support/contact-us

Tell them who really controls the spice :).

• Reply 384 of 502
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    How has that worked out for everyone else who has tried? Cook very directly said why that was a failed model.
    This CurrentC solution also supports credit cards. Fact is people like credit cards. Not everyone can afford to pay with cash (which is basically what taking money out of your bank account is). Plus the fraud protection is better with credit cards than it is with debit cards.

I don't want any merchant or consortium of merchants to have access to my bank account information. Right now only my employer (direct deposit), bank (mortgage) and credit card company have access to my bank account info. Oh and my utilities company as they want to charge me an extra $5/month to charge their bill to my credit card. If I could have every bill charged to my credit card so my bank basically saw two transactions a month I would. My brother-in-law works in law-enforcement and has dealt with fraud. He says whenever you can put something on a credit card instead of a debit card you should as the fraud protections are much greater.
  • Reply 385 of 502
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member

I did just that!!!

• Reply 386 of 502
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

The unfortunate fact of the matter is, that nobody, but nobody in the business world,

has any reason to help give Apple any piece of this colossal pie - not merchants, not issuing banks, 

not competing NFC-pay approaches, not any of the credit card issuers. 

The only motivation any of them have, is to ensure they don't piss off any Apple-lovers

by being seen to be a factor in ?Pay's failure.

Sure, consumers, were they uniformly alert, informed, and discriminating would have a reason,

but quality and ease-of-use have never been a guarantee of success, and all those other entities are in a position,

in one way or another, to erect road-blocks, penalties, and disinformation galore...and, watching it slowly unfold,

I'm less sanguine about its widespread adoption than I was when I first heard about it.

...we'll see.

Consumers benefit from ?Pay due to convenience, security and privacy

Merchants benefit from ?Pay due to lower credit card fees

Banks benefit from ?Pay due to decreased fraud

My point was whether potential business partners have incentive to help or hinder Apple in this.

I agree about consumers, they are not driving this, they were not the focus of my point.

The other two entities?  Refer to "erect road-blocks..." etc.,

and remember that merchants, not banks, will own fraud in a year or so.

If the current business model stands, that might be accurate, but this is entirely

about the current model evolving, and I suggest we do not yet know how.

In this, Apple is essentially still an outsider, and this might be one model which,

once disrupted, Apple doesn't emerge from the dust 'owning'...

Or perhaps I'm a natural skeptic and pessimist, and things will be just as you say...

Now we'll just tuck you in, sleep tight!...and...shall we leave a little light on, and the door just ajar?  ;) 

• Reply 387 of 502
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,212member

Walmart should just pay its employees a little less.

• Reply 388 of 502
  • Reply 389 of 502
    boredumb wrote: »
    My point was whether potential business partners have incentive to help or hinder Apple in this.
    I agree about consumers, they are not driving this, they were not the focus of my point.
    The other two entities?  <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Refer to "erect road-blocks..." etc.,</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">and remember that merchants, not banks, will own fraud in a year or so.</span>

If the current business model stands, that might be accurate, but this is entirely
    about the current model evolving, and I suggest we do not yet know how.
    In this, Apple is essentially still an outsider, and this might be one model which,
    once disrupted, Apple doesn't emerge from the dust 'owning'...

Or perhaps I'm a natural skeptic and pessimist, and things will be just as you say...
    Now we'll just tuck you in, sleep tight!...and...shall we leave a little light on, and the door just ajar?  ;)  

The singular "good" quality of this post is that you have revealed yourself as unworthy of reasonable discourse.
  • Reply 390 of 502
    chiachia Posts: 714member
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post
    And that's not entirely correct, some nitrogen is absorbed by the bloodstream, it just isn't used.

Excuse me?

Admittedly thanks to brownian motion etc, there's an equilibrium between nitrogen gas entering and leaving the bloodstream within the lungs.

Nevertheless it's unchanged as nitrogen gas isn't used by metabolic processes in the body, i.e. what I had stated.

from Effects of Increased Dissolved Nitrogen From Scuba Diving

Unlike oxygen and carbon dioxide, nitrogen (N2) is inert; it is not metabolized by the body. At sea level the amount of N2 inhaled and exhaled is the same.

by Martin Lawrence M.D. Specializes in: Pulmonary/Critical Care

• Reply 391 of 502
    chia wrote: »
    Excuse me?
    Admittedly thanks to brownian motion etc, there's an equilibrium between nitrogen gas entering and leaving the bloodstream within the lungs.
    Nevertheless it's unchanged as nitrogen gas isn't used by metabolic processes in the body, i.e. what I had stated.

by Martin Lawrence M.D. Specializes in: <span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-size:19px;line-height:1em;">Pulmonary/Critical Care</span>

You're completely missing the point. Whether it is used or not, it is consumed. People consume corn, but don't digest it. That doesn't change the fact that it is consumed and recycled into the environment. Since a majority of the air we breath is nitrogen, not oxygen, my original point still stands.
  • Reply 392 of 502

Unhappy????   

Call Corporate

VOICE YOUR OPINION!!!

401-765-1500

• Reply 393 of 502
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Yes of course you are right. You must always be right. Too painful to be wrong. You can choose to be as aware as much as you want to be of the effects of your existence. All and all I am just glad I am not you.

I don’t understand why you’re incapable of a conversation. You’re either an idiot or a troll. Which is it? No one cares about whatever you’re trying to whine about here.

• Reply 394 of 502
    gerbinto wrote: »
    Apple insider needs to do more research before they make an article that is being used to fan the fanboy fire. While I am sure these companies want to collect more information, that is not the complete story. There is also the little things of credit card fees that these merchants don't want to pay anymore.  You see, Apple Pay still is a credit card transaction which means merchants will stay have to pay those banking fees on each transaction.  On the other hand CurrentC is a direct withdrawal from the banking account so there are no banking fees.  Maybe if Apple wanted to pay all the merchant fees then the merchant will push their standard.  As it currently stands Apple would be the only beneficiary of Apple pay since it would more than likely become a Monopoly while the merchants would have to eat the fees.  Once CurrentC roles out, and if it works, I predict more retailers jumping ship so that they can saving hundreds if not millions in credit card transaction fees that are paid to the banks.

Source: http://www.savingadvice.com/articles/2014/10/26/1029604_drugstores-cvs-and-rite-aid-ditch-apple-pay-as-payment-option.html

EDIT:  Example, Target and their Red card.  That's attached to your bank account and they give 5% off of the purchase when used.  They give that cash back as a incentive for using the card because each of those transactions on that card helps target avoid the bank fee.

The author of the linked article is not at all well-informed, and the lack of research makes for very shoddy journalism:

"While it isn’t entirely clear why both these drugstores have opted out, it appears to have something to do with a competing system retailers have been working on on their own over the last year.

This isn’t the first signs that Apple Pay is on the decline. While there are a number of merchants which signed on with Apple Pay, there are plenty of merchants who refused Apple Pay from the beginning. These included WalMart and Best Buy, both of which had been working with another company to create receiving mobile wallet solutions that could be used in retail stores.

Those companies and other big chains like Sears Holdings and Target, are working with a company called CurrentC, who has been on track to roll out its mobile solution in early 2015. CurrentC has been working with retailers since 2011 to make a compatible system."

Amazing how Apple Pay could be "on the decline" less than a week after it was offered! Really???
  • Reply 395 of 502
    Well that explains why it worked one day, and then yesterday it failed and promoted a message to the carier saying "use other method of tender".
    Isn't this in some way against the law to deliberately refuse a legal tender for good they are selling?
    Can anyone speak to a class action law suite?
    Yes, I'll move my $1,000 a month prescription to Walgreens now, but I would also like to see some new pres. standard met with the courts to stop other store from pulling this same $/@#.
    Not to mention the bad press and concerned investors because of the and press. Even if the class action lost it would deliberately still affect the company in more ways than just customers going else ware and that alone would be worth it.
  • Reply 396 of 502
    chiachia Posts: 714member
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post
    You're completely missing the point. Whether it is used or not, it is consumed. People consume corn, but don't digest it. That doesn't change the fact that it is consumed and recycled into the environment. Since a majority of the air we breath is nitrogen, not oxygen, my original point still stands.

I believe you're failing to comprehend the several meanings of the word consume and therefore the meaning of kent's post and my reply.

One definition of consume is the act of  taking food for nourishment.  You don't eat air by absorbing it into your digestive tract, you inhale it.

Another definition of consume is  to use something to the point where it's changed or no longer usable or available.

The nitrogen people inhale isn't used, it merely comes out again, unchanged and available in its original state.

Conversely the corn people consume doesn't come out of them in the same state it entered!

Their body may not utilise all of the corn but it definitely has used some of it!

I suspect people won't be keen on eating corn passed out of somebody else, to them it will already have been consumed!

• Reply 397 of 502
    With Half of US smartphone owners having iPhones it is silly for CVS and Rite Aid to igmore Apple Pay. Apple iPhone users will never use ConnectC
  • Reply 398 of 502
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    The people on the interwebs are pissed. MCX and more specifically CVS and Rite Aid has managed to do what no one could do is unite Android and iPhone fan bois and average consumers behind a single cause.
  • Reply 399 of 502
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

With Half of US smartphone owners having iPhones it is silly for CVS and Rite Aid to igmore Apple Pay. Apple iPhone users will never use ConnectC

and the other half use Android devices... yeah I dont see CurrentC and MCX working out. Between the privacy issues and the insecurity within the system. CurrentC may not ever get off the ground. They should probably just scrap it and get this story out of the news media. Every site I've seen reporting it has a gazillion comments with upset patrons griping. 

• Reply 400 of 502
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Poorly worded article.  As if Apple doesn't use ApplePay to collect data.  It's part of playing the game, complaining about Apple here per se, but there isn't a pay service in existence today that doesn't collect and utilize user data.  The article makes it seem as if CVS is blocking a system that doesn't collect any in order to install their own which will be performing a massive privacy breach.

Eh.  Not.  

Citation of facts is required.

(The voices in your head don't count)