Apple seeks partners to enable NFC-based transit payments & building access for iPhone 6 & Watch

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 34
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    Apple Pay is slightly more secure but NFC is not exclusive to iPhones. 

    I hope Apple gets on this fast. I want to use my phones for everything using NFC

    I think even you are smart enough to know that the "among iPhone models" was implied.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    OK I guess I shou have said Apple Watch me. fuc*ing perfection enjoy your life an a** hole
  • Reply 23 of 34

    Kinda strange that Apple Pay works with the watch without requiring a fingerprint. That presumably means that if somebody steals your watch and phone, they don't actually need to unlock your phone (or anything) to go on a major shopping spree, since all they would have to do is press the button on the watch to authorize payment. Am I missing something?

  • Reply 24 of 34
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

     

    Kinda strange that Apple Pay works with the watch without requiring a fingerprint. That presumably means that if somebody steals your watch and phone, they don't actually need to unlock your phone (or anything) to go on a major shopping spree, since all they would have to do is press the button on the watch to authorize payment. Am I missing something?


     

     

    I wondered that, too.

     

    However, I think that the watch locks if you remove it from your wrist or something. Others will probably give us the right answer.

  • Reply 25 of 34
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    [@]pazuzu[/@] What? Apple Pay doesn't work with 5S or 5. Neither have NFC.

    Didn't you read the article? It will in companion with the apple watch but the others won't.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by eacumm View Post



    Apple Pay will only work with iPhone 5, 5c and 5s with the iIWatch when it comes out next year and for those that want to tell me I am wrong please do your research as it is posted on Apple's webpage.



    I'm sorry, but I believe you are incorrect. Check the chart at the bottom of this page. iPhone 6, 6+, iPad Air 2, Mini 3 and Apple Watch are the only devices that work with Apple Pay.

    https://www.apple.com/apple-pay/

  • Reply 27 of 34
    mpantonempantone Posts: 1,651member

    You are correct. Apple Pay requires the Secure Element which apparently resides on the NFC chip.

     

    No NFC chip, no Apple Pay.

  • Reply 28 of 34
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,001member
    [@]pazuzu[/@] What? Apple Pay doesn't work with 5S or 5. Neither have NFC.

    They work in conjunction with the Apple Watch.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 2,656member

    I wondered that, too.

    However, I think that the watch locks if you remove it from your wrist or something. Others will probably give us the right answer.

    The speculation is that the Apple Watch will have an activation code for Apple Pay, but removal of the watch from your wrist requires re typing the code.

    Also is the speculation that the Apple Watch surface screen will support touchID directly.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 2,656member
    Exactly how this will come together will be interesting. I pay for an all you can eat bus pass. I'd love to have that on my phone or watch via NFC. My employer has card locks too. I'd like to ditch that as well.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

     



    I'm sorry, but I believe you are incorrect. Check the chart at the bottom of this page. iPhone 6, 6+, iPad Air 2, Mini 3 and Apple Watch are the only devices that work with Apple Pay.

    https://www.apple.com/apple-pay/




    And I am more sorry then you that you Sir. cannot understand what you read, if you look at the chart where the Apple watch is it clearly says the following:

    Apple Watch

    Paired only with iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, or iPhone 6 Plus. Then there is a check mark under in Store

  • Reply 32 of 34
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    eightzero wrote: »
    The speculation is that the Apple Watch will have an activation code for Apple Pay, but removal of the watch from your wrist requires re typing the code.

    Also is the speculation that the Apple Watch surface screen will support touchID directly.

    What a mess.

    Apple Watch has sensors under it constantly touching your wrist.
    apple could have a Touch ID sensor on the bottom constantly recording every detail of your wrist.

    So when it's time to pay you just hold the watch close to the payment terminal and its done.
    This is even faster than the current Apple Pay method.

    If someone steals your watch Apple Pay is immediately disabled due to the drastic wrist change.

    2 possible problems:

    1. Hair. This is obviously minor but still something to think about.

    And

    2. Changing hands. Though I'm sure you can have Touch ID record both wrists.
  • Reply 34 of 34

    Testing Apple Pay in SF...

     

    http://i.imgur.com/cc5aDlQ.jpg

Sign In or Register to comment.