Apple's Tim Cook says his home state is 'too slow' on LGBT rights issue, pushes for education reform

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    smurfman wrote: »
    "Education reform"

Sorry Tim, but those who truly follow Christ will NEVER agree homosexuality is appropriate. It's a "slap in the face" of God and His creation. God's greatest creation was both man and woman - and, most importantly, their union that displays/represents so much of God and His character. Homosexuality is a perversion of those truths... just like adultery is a "slap in the face" of everything God intended for marriage because it perverts the love, faithfulness, selflessness, and commitment in marriage that is actually a mirror of God's love, faithfulness, and commitment toward us.

This is one of the reasons God says homosexuality is such an abomination -because it distorts/perverts marriage, God's true words, and His true character.

Homosexuality (especially homosexual marriage) is incredibly offensive to followers of Christ and, I believe, even more offensive to God Himself.

I've been an Apple fanatic since the early 90s and am deeply saddened by Apple's intense drive to support the LesbianGayBisexualTransgender movement. I've bought many many Apple products and "evangelised" many others into the Apple fold over the years. I regret that now.

I know my belief, based on God's word, is offensive to many here but all I can say is don't let culture trick and fool you into its own belief system. "Progressive" is not all that it's cracked up to be.

"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."

Gay marriage is civil and simply grants rights to partners that they wouldn't have otherwise.
  • Reply 42 of 80
    Judgment in that context refers to judging a person's soul as to whether or not that person is going to heaven or hell. It is not our place as mankind to determine whether or not a person is going to hell. Love the sinner, hate the sin.

More importantly, the juxtaposition in this comment thread is sad. All this talk of equal rights and tolerance, and here we see people trash-talking Alabama, which is a beautiful and wonderful state. The people of Alabama have the right to believe in what is best for them and practice what they believe, and if you're "tolerant," you'll understand and stop oppressing and slandering the people of Alabama.
  • Reply 43 of 80
    Nope, not a fairy tale. There are countless cases on how the Bible is proven accurate and true – from numerous archeological finds to the amazing discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, to countless prophecies that have come true (even recent ones such as Israel becoming a nation after almost 2000 years, Jerusalem being recaptured, and the Hebrew language being reborn after being lost for over a millennia). FYI... Next prophecy to keep an eye on in coming true is the rebuilding of the Jewish temple in Jerusalem (on or around where the Dome of the Rock is today).

Regarding the reference to Sodom and Gomorrah, one of the great things of the Bible is it reveals everything in raw detail. Lot and his family were Godly but as the Bible stresses hundreds, if not thousands, of times is that man is sinful and needs salvation from God. Lot was not perfect – NONE of us are. He did not act rightly in offering his daughter to the mob but there's more to the story! Messengers from God (i.e. angels) had come to Lot's home to warn them about the coming judgement of that city. The mob saw them and wanted to have sex with them and stormed his house. Lot knew these were angels, God's messengers, and wanted to protect them by offering his daughter. Of course, they didn't need protection – they blinded the mob temporarily – and Lot's daughter's were not offered to the mob. God saved them – as He loves to do for us.

You, like so many, take God's word and twist it to your own needs. And I think part of the reason that's done is because you stay ignorant of His truth. As Jesus said, "knock and the door will be opened for you, seek [God] and you will find". But so many pass by the door and never knock. Or if they knock, it's only once and non-committal. He wants us to seek Him with all our heart. Be persistent and He will show Himself to you – and you and God will have a real and genuine relationship.

Prophesies are fulfilled when people want them to be fulfilled. How many prophesies in the tangled history of biblical scholarship HAVEN'T come to pass? I'd wager the vast majority of them. All religions are created to consolidate the power of religious leaders and to control followers. It's a human-made mental and social construct that provides meaning and the illusion of purpose for our meaningless existence. We exist due to random chance and have survived and evolved to rule over the rest of the food chain. In another hundred thousand years intelligent parrots may be the dominant species. Sorry, but them's the breaks.
  • Reply 44 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Prophesies are fulfilled when people want them to be fulfilled. How many prophesies in the tangled history of biblical scholarship HAVEN'T come to pass? I'd wager the vast majority of them. All religions are created to consolidate the power of religious leaders and to control followers. It's a human-made mental and social construct that provides meaning and the illusion of purpose for our meaningless existence. We exist due to random chance and have survived and evolved to rule over the rest of the food chain. In another hundred thousand years intelligent parrots may be the dominant species. Sorry, but them's the breaks.

This is relativism, which is self-defeating by it's very nature. I'm sorry for your sense of meaningless, but know that you are loved by God.
  • Reply 45 of 80
    Quote:

Heard that argument before but the specifics and mathematic improbability of 100s accurately coming true is impossible – unless divinely fulfilled. God keeps His promises. Period.

Just look at one group of prophecies coming true in the Bible: http://www.goodnewsdispatch.org/math.html

• Reply 46 of 80

Heard that argument before but the specifics and mathematic improbability of 100s accurately coming true is impossible – unless divinely fulfilled. God keeps His promises. Period.

Just look at one group of prophecies coming true in the Bible: http://www.goodnewsdispatch.org/math.html

Did you just try to use mathematical probabilities to justify a religious belief? Unbelievable. Religion cannot remotely be supported with actual science.
  • Reply 47 of 80
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

Not sure how relevant this is on a tech site but:

As a bisexual male, I believe everyone should have equal rights.

EXCEPT marriage. That's a biblical straight couple thing. Gays complaining about this is ridiculous. It's like Christian's complaining that they can't attend satanist ceremonies.

I've argued with a gay man about this. He did have a good point and said married couples have certain legal benefits. So there has to be rights for couples who agree to live together for the rest of their lives(who does this anymore?)

But gay marriage? Reminds me of all the atheists that celebrate Christmas.

And no religion should have to marry a gay couple if that violates their beliefs (IMO) - if someone doesn't like it, they don't have to be a member of that religion. But there are civil marriages and there's supposed to be separation of church and state.   Therefore, if a gay couple wants to get married, they should be able to.   

People used to use the bible to claim that interracial marriage should be banned.   People said it violated their religious beliefs.  Today we think those beliefs were silly and based solely on racism.   In 10 years, those who fight against same-sex marriage will seen in the same light as the racists who fought against mixed marriage.      Besides, it's almost a moot point:   32 states have now legalized gay marriage in some form.   A few more and the Supreme Court will be ready to declare it a civil right.   

And don't give me the "marriage is sacred" speech.   Half of all U.S. marriages end in divorce and a fair percentage of people who don't get divorced are cheating on their spouse.    Marriage is just about the most un-sacred thing there is in the U.S.

Christmas, for better or worse, has become a cultural holiday as much as a religious holiday.    Atheists who celebrate Christmas (or any religious holiday) may be hypocritical, but no more inconsistent than the bible itself and no more illogical than religion itself. 

• Reply 48 of 80
    zoetmb wrote: »

And no religion should have to marry a gay couple if that violates their beliefs (IMO) - if someone doesn't like it, they don't have to be a member of that religion. But there are civil marriages and there's supposed to be separation of church and state.   Therefore, if a gay couple wants to get married, they should be able to.   

People used to use the bible to claim that interracial marriage should be banned.   People said it violated their religious beliefs.  Today we think those beliefs were silly and based solely on racism.   In 10 years, those who fight against same-sex marriage will seen in the same light as the racists who fought against mixed marriage.      Besides, it's almost a moot point:   32 states have now legalized gay marriage in some form.   A few more and the Supreme Court will be ready to declare it a civil right.   

And don't give me the "marriage is sacred" speech.   Half of all U.S. marriages end in divorce and a fair percentage of people who don't get divorced are cheating on their spouse.    Marriage is just about the most un-sacred thing there is in the U.S.

Christmas, for better or worse, has become a cultural holiday as much as a religious holiday.    Atheists who celebrate Christmas (or any religious holiday) may be hypocritical, but no more inconsistent than the bible itself and no more illogical than religion itself. 

I agree that governmental involvement in marriages is a clear-cut violation of the First Amendment. A carryover from England's mix of church and state no doubt.
  • Reply 49 of 80
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

I agree that governmental involvement in marriages is a clear-cut violation of the First Amendment. A carryover from England's mix of church and state no doubt.

That's not what I said or implied.   Without government involvement in marriage, you either don't have a legal status of marriage or you only have religious marriage (unless you turn the administration of marriage over to some private company, which I'm sure purist capitalists would love.)   

Since there are laws and associated rights around marriage, which is the primary reason why LBGT couples need the right to marry, Government is always going to be involved in some way, unless people are permitted to declare themselves married simply on their own say-so.

• Reply 50 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Except that any effort of research (a two minute search on Google) proves that marriage was established as a political tactic for tax and landowner reasons and had nothing to do with religion.

Not sure where you get you bogus info Tyler.  Nice to see your faith Google. (eyes rolling)  Here is a clear reference to marriage from genesis along with a clear message from the creator that men and "woman" unite.  Tim Cook is taking this position to support his own gay life style.  

18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;

22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

• Reply 51 of 80
    Quote:

Did you just try to use mathematical probabilities to justify a religious belief? Unbelievable. Religion cannot remotely be supported with actual science.

It may not be worth your time, and that's fine, go ahead and scoff while keeping your head in the sand. Others could benefit from this bit of knowledge. And for the record, it's not justifying religious beliefs but rather stating specific historical facts and correlations with mathematical probabilities – which just so happens to be one more element (out of many) that adds credence to biblical truth and accuracy.

• Reply 52 of 80

Tim has to be careful about upsetting the bigots - they'll switch to Android.

• Reply 53 of 80
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Smurfman View Post

"Education reform"

Sorry Tim, but those who truly follow Christ will NEVER agree homosexuality is appropriate. It's a "slap in the face" of God and His creation. God's greatest creation was both man and woman - and, most importantly, their union that displays/represents so much of God and His character. Homosexuality is a perversion of those truths... just like adultery is a "slap in the face" of everything God intended for marriage because it perverts the love, faithfulness, selflessness, and commitment in marriage that is actually a mirror of God's love, faithfulness, and commitment toward us.

This is one of the reasons God says homosexuality is such an abomination -because it distorts/perverts marriage, God's true words, and His true character.

Homosexuality (especially homosexual marriage) is incredibly offensive to followers of Christ and, I believe, even more offensive to God Himself.

I've been an Apple fanatic since the early 90s and am deeply saddened by Apple's intense drive to support the LesbianGayBisexualTransgender movement. I've bought many many Apple products and "evangelised" many others into the Apple fold over the years. I regret that now.

I know my belief, based on God's word, is offensive to many here but all I can say is don't let culture trick and fool you into its own belief system. "Progressive" is not all that it's cracked up to be.

good god, you lunatics on even on this site? jesus. 

god is just pretend, the bible was written by ancient men long dead and no more equipped to write modern civil law than Bin Laden was.

• Reply 54 of 80
    Quote:

Quote:

It may not be worth your time, and that's fine, go ahead and scoff while keeping your head in the sand. Others could benefit from this bit of knowledge. And for the record, it's not justifying religious beliefs but rather stating specific historical facts and correlations with mathematical probabilities – which just so happens to be one more element (out of many) that adds credence to biblical truth and accuracy.

It’s very telling that most of the atheist posts on this thread are voiced with anger; it’s a trait I find that is common to atheists.

• Reply 55 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Cook's commitment to "equality" is the easy and trivial identity political form of it. Most of his actions as CEO - tax avoidance in Ireland and the US, share repurchases, even dividends are deepening real inequality, class inequality. 

what tax avoidance in the US? foreign subisdy goods produced and sold overseas are taxed overseas. the US has no claim to tax that. thus apple is free to keep that income outside the US. im a pretty liberal independent, but this one is just a non-issue.

apple is the highest paying US tax payer. its corps like GE that scam their way to a negative US income tax, not apple.

• Reply 56 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Stay out of politics Tim and deliver a new Apple TV already.

why should he? in the US politics & policy are funded by the other (often conservative) billionaires....
  • Reply 57 of 80
    Quote:

Nope, not a fairy tale. There are countless cases on how the Bible is proven accurate and true 

no, there really havent.

the bible is an ancient text written by ancient man, and advocated men murdering their wives and daughters for minor infractions. its not holy or divine, since (like demons or swamp monsters) god is just pretend.

• Reply 58 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

er, no -- Christmas didnt *become* that, it *began* as that. mithrals, pagans, winter solstice, etc... humans celebrate seasons, such as christmas in the winter solstice and carnival in the spring.

• Reply 59 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

It’s very telling that most of the atheist posts on this thread are voiced with anger; it’s a trait I find that is common to atheists.

i see no anger. lack of patience for idiocy isnt the same as anger. but like many christians, you probably delight at the notion of being persecuted.

• Reply 60 of 80
    You guys didn't take long to turn this thread into one about religion. Bigotry is not far behind.
    markbyrn wrote: »
    Tim has to be careful about upsetting the bigots - they'll switch to Android.

That won't stop them from posting here.