Apple's Tim Cook says his home state is 'too slow' on LGBT rights issue, pushes for education reform

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2014
Apple CEO Tim Cook on Monday spoke out on a variety of civil rights issues facing his home state of Alabama and the U.S. at large, comparing slow progress on rights for the LGBT community with the country's long struggle to reach racial and gender equality.




In a speech at his induction into the Alabama Academy of Honor, an institution that celebrates distinguished Alabamans, Cook called on the state to be more proactive on issues of equality, including those pertaining to LGBT rights and equal opportunities in education.

He said Alabama was too slow to act on issues of racial equality in the 1960s, noting it has only been 14 years since interracial marriage was made legal in the state. Cooks added that Alabama is "still too slow on equality for the LGBT community," citing a legal right to fire people based on their sexual orientation.

"We can't change the past, but we can learn from it and we can create a different future," Cook said.

Apple has been increasingly vocal on the topic of diversity in the workplace, with Cook noting in August that the situation in Cupertino needs improvement. The company recently celebrated its diversity at the LGBT pride parade in San Francisco and continues to pursue initiatives that address the so-called Silicon Valley gender gap.



In his speech today, Cook also called for reform in education, saying a lack of equal access to technology and knowledge puts entire communities at a disadvantage, especially minorities.

"They're born with a built-in headwind into a fate they did not choose," Cook said. "This isn't right, it isn't just, and it isn't a reflection of our deepest values."

Earlier today, Apple announced its contribution to President Barack Obama's ConnectED technology in education program, which aims to even the playing field for underrepresented schools across the country. Apple is outfitting 114 schools in 29 states with iPads for students and educators, Macs for teachers and Apple TVs for classrooms.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 80
    at least Alabama leads the country in being able to marry your own relatives... ;)
  • Reply 2 of 80

    Something tells me Alabama is probably proud of that.

  • Reply 3 of 80
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

    Watched it at 9to5 a couple of hours or so ago, great speech. 

  • Reply 4 of 80
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,236member
    I encourage everyone here to be respectful in their replies to this article. If you hold strong personal views on this topic please a deep breath and consider that a technology forum might not be an appropriate forum to share them.
  • Reply 5 of 80

    This is what I think of when I hear "Alabama"

     

    image

  • Reply 6 of 80
    calicali Posts: 3,495member
    Not sure how relevant this is on a tech site but:

    As a bisexual male, I believe everyone should have equal rights.

    EXCEPT marriage. That's a biblical straight couple thing. Gays complaining about this is ridiculous. It's like Christian's complaining that they can't attend satanist ceremonies.

    I've argued with a gay man about this. He did have a good point and said married couples have certain legal benefits. So there has to be rights for couples who agree to live together for the rest of their lives(who does this anymore?)
    But gay marriage? Reminds me of all the atheists that celebrate Christmas.
  • Reply 7 of 80
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

    I encourage everyone here to be respectful in their replies to this article. If you hold strong personal views on this topic please a deep breath and consider that a technology forum might not be an appropriate forum to share them.



    Which makes you wonder why it was posted here at all. At the very least, the article should have been in PO.

  • Reply 8 of 80
    cali wrote: »
    Not sure how relevant this is on a tech site but:

    As a bisexual male, I believe everyone should have equal rights.

    EXCEPT marriage. That's a biblical straight couple thing. Gays complaining about this is ridiculous. It's like Christian's complaining that they can't attend satanist ceremonies.

    I've argued with a gay man about this. He did have a good point and said married couples have certain legal benefits. So there has to be rights for couples who agree to live together for the rest of their lives(who does this anymore?)
    But gay marriage? Reminds me of all the atheists that celebrate Christmas.

    Except that any effort of research (a two minute search on Google) proves that marriage was established as a political tactic for tax and landowner reasons and had nothing to do with religion.
    ihxo
  • Reply 9 of 80
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cali View Post



    Not sure how relevant this is on a tech site but:



    As a bisexual male, I believe everyone should have equal rights.



    EXCEPT marriage. That's a biblical straight couple thing. Gays complaining about this is ridiculous. It's like Christian's complaining that they can't attend satanist ceremonies.



    I've argued with a gay man about this. He did have a good point and said married couples have certain legal benefits. So there has to be rights for couples who agree to live together for the rest of their lives(who does this anymore?)

    But gay marriage? Reminds me of all the atheists that celebrate Christmas.

     

    Woahwoah hold up. It reminds you of atheists celebrating Christmas?

     

     

    The reason atheists shouldn't celebrate Christmas is because they don't believe in it

     

    Are you saying gay people don't believe in marriage?

     

    And because they don't believe in Christmas, are you saying that atheists shouldn't be entitled to Christmas sales?

  • Reply 10 of 80
    "Education reform"

    Sorry Tim, but those who truly follow Christ will NEVER agree homosexuality is appropriate. It's a "slap in the face" of God and His creation. God's greatest creation was both man and woman - and, most importantly, their union that displays/represents so much of God and His character. Homosexuality is a perversion of those truths... just like adultery is a "slap in the face" of everything God intended for marriage because it perverts the love, faithfulness, selflessness, and commitment in marriage that is actually a mirror of God's love, faithfulness, and commitment toward us.

    This is one of the reasons God says homosexuality is such an abomination -because it distorts/perverts marriage, God's true words, and His true character.

    Homosexuality (especially homosexual marriage) is incredibly offensive to followers of Christ and, I believe, even more offensive to God Himself.

    I've been an Apple fanatic since the early 90s and am deeply saddened by Apple's intense drive to support the LesbianGayBisexualTransgender movement. I've bought many many Apple products and "evangelised" many others into the Apple fold over the years. I regret that now.

    I know my belief, based on God's word, is offensive to many here but all I can say is don't let culture trick and fool you into its own belief system. "Progressive" is not all that it's cracked up to be.
    JoeSpitzak
  • Reply 11 of 80
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member
    cali wrote: »
    Not sure how relevant this is on a tech site but:

    As a bisexual male, I believe everyone should have equal rights.

    EXCEPT marriage. That's a biblical straight couple thing. Gays complaining about this is ridiculous. It's like Christian's complaining that they can't attend satanist ceremonies.

    I've argued with a gay man about this. He did have a good point and said married couples have certain legal benefits. So there has to be rights for couples who agree to live together for the rest of their lives(who does this anymore?)
    But gay marriage? Reminds me of all the atheists that celebrate Christmas.
    **** off.
    Marriage exists and has existed outside Christianity. Chinese history has 5000 years of marriage traditions. Not to mention other cultures and ethnic groups. Christianity merely hijacked marriage as it has our morality for its sinister purposes

    Edit: Christmas was also a Pagan holiday
  • Reply 12 of 80

    Maybe if Tim Cook would spend as much money and time at promoting the Mac as he does his homosexual agenda he would sell more Macs than iPhones.

     

    Instead of spending Apple's money on going to gay parades, how about having a booth at NAB again with instruction on how to use FCPX. Maybe instead of flying around preaching LBG agenda you could use the travel money to bring back and update Aperture and Shake.

     

    Your job is to promote the Apple and the Mac. If you want to be a civil-rights leader then retire and go join Acorn.

    JoeSpitzak
  • Reply 13 of 80
    payecopayeco Posts: 289member
    Maybe if Tim Cook would spend as much money and time at promoting the Mac as he does his homosexual agenda he would sell more Macs than iPhones.

    Instead of spending Apple's money on going to gay parades, how about having a booth at NAB again with instruction on how to use FCPX. Maybe instead of flying around preaching LBG agenda you could use the travel money to bring back and update Aperture and Shake.

    Your job is to promote the Apple and the Mac. If you want to be a civil-rights leader then retire and go join Acorn.

    Promoting LGBT rights is in his and Apple's best interests because it helps attract the talent of people in that community that make these products we all enjoy. And unfortunately for you, people outside that community who also have talents Apple would want would not only not be offended by this, but also more likely to want to work there because Apple promotes these values. Yes, that's right. Smart people aren't bigots still living in a world that existed 70 years ago.
  • Reply 14 of 80
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cali View Post



    Not sure how relevant this is on a tech site but:



    As a bisexual male, I believe everyone should have equal rights.



    EXCEPT marriage. That's a biblical straight couple thing. Gays complaining about this is ridiculous. It's like Christian's complaining that they can't attend satanist ceremonies.



    I've argued with a gay man about this. He did have a good point and said married couples have certain legal benefits. So there has to be rights for couples who agree to live together for the rest of their lives(who does this anymore?)

    But gay marriage? Reminds me of all the atheists that celebrate Christmas.

     

    Marriage doesn't belong to the Christian religion. And Atheists can certainly celebrate Christmas, in fact the entire holiday is 95% secular in the U.S. Santa Clause isn't a Jesus thing last time I checked.

     

    Committing yourself to one person is a deeply moving act, and it should be celebrated and treated with the same respect and equality regardless of gender. I agree with Tim Cook on this issue.

     

    At any rate it looks like gay marriage is close to being legalized in the States that matter.

  • Reply 15 of 80
    "They're born with a built-in headwind into a fate they did not choose," Cook said. "This isn't right, it isn't just, and it isn't a reflection of our deepest values."

    Unfortunately, it is a reflection of the deepest values for a large number of Alabamans.
  • Reply 16 of 80
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smurfman View Post



    This is one of the reasons God says homosexuality is such an abomination -because it distorts/perverts marriage, God's true words, and His true character.

     

    I'll tell you what the real "abomination" is - Authors not defining acronyms used in the articles they write.  This article was frustrating to read, not because of political issues, but because it throws the letters "LGBT" around like some commonplace acronym that apparently everybody is supposed to understand.

  • Reply 17 of 80
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by payeco View Post





    Promoting LGBT rights is in his and Apple's best interests because it helps attract the talent of people in that community that make these products we all enjoy. And unfortunately for you, people outside that community who also have talents Apple would want would not only not be offended by this, but also more likely to want to work there because Apple promotes these values. Yes, that's right. Smart people aren't bigots still living in a world that existed 70 years ago.



    payeco... I don't care if your gay or lesbian, but two issues here.

     

    #1. The number of creative people in the 1.5% of true homosexuals is not going to out weigh the number of creative people in the other 98.5% of society.

     

    #2. I don't see Adobe out marching in the gay parades, but they are at NAB, WPPI, etc., etc. demonstrating their wares. They are killing Apple in the creative software department with Premier, Photoshop and Lightroom.

     

    We are talking business here, not social agendas. I have already dropped Aperture since Apple's announcement of non-support and gone over to Adobe and I'm not coming back to Apple again for photographic software. My work is professional, not kiddy phones. I like what FCPX has to offer, but Adobe has support. Apple has and is gathering a nice reputation as the pro-market software killer. You just get a piece of software/hardware you think you can build a business on and Apple pulls the rug out form under you. If you want equality you better keep Apple spending it money on product rather than chasing social agendas... Otherwise I can either switch platforms for security or close my doors which won't do employees any good be they gay or straight.

    JoeSpitzak
  • Reply 18 of 80
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,205member
    cali wrote: »
    Not sure how relevant this is on a tech site but:

    As a bisexual male, I believe everyone should have equal rights.

    EXCEPT marriage.

    As a bisexual female I disagree,up to a point. And that point is this. I believe that states should be mandated to allow "marriage" in the sense of a legal union regardless of it being a domestic legal partnership between a man&woman or two men or two women. Equal rights across the board including health insurance coverage, inheritance, adopting kids and so on.

    What I don't agree with is the notion that churches should be forced to recognize or bless anything they disagree with. Separation of church and state if you will. I mean if L Ron Hubbard can start a church why can't all the gays. Church of the Rainbow or whatever. I would rather do that then hang around praying with a bunch of haters

    My real concern with this is the likelihood that someone will declare this speech proof that Tim is gay when we lack any actual proof either way and frankly it isn't anyone's business if he is and why he isn't jumping up and down to openly declared it
  • Reply 19 of 80

    Actually, LGBT stands for... oh wait, it's Haggar. What was I thinking?

  • Reply 20 of 80

    @charlituna, I give your post a thumbs up. But that is because I just read the first 4 words. Bisexual Females are the best!

Sign In or Register to comment.