'I'm proud to be gay,' Apple CEO Tim Cook says in open letter supporting equality

Comments

• Reply 521 of 650
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

It's interesting that it only seems to be non-gays who espouse the view that it is a choice to be gay. I wonder how many of them were themselves conflicted and made a choice not to be, and then assumed that everyone else must have followed the same pattern.

I've always found that odd myself.  Then again I knew from a very young age that I was straight.  I never made a choice, I truly was born that way.  It just makes sense to me that it would work the same way for gay people too.

• Reply 522 of 650
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The Thumbs Up top 10 for AI.

That is something i didn't know exisited. I fact I only just saw my own profile today, I never looked at it before other than the brief data I add. I didn't know I had a 'reputation' nor an infringement! :D

Can you see other's reputations?

Only the mods can see others data.
  • Reply 523 of 650
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    That term 'trolled 'seems to be developing a new meaning around here. Or are you suggesting I am a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people by posting inflammatory extraneous or off-topic messages in an online community such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion [wikipedia]

You also have to forgive someone from a different culture who thinks of health care as a right but paid for as a nation with taxes not risk management run by for profit organizations with share holders. It's all down to what you grow up with I guess.

I left open the possibility that i was being baited into a less than productive discussion. I also left open the possibility that I wasn't.
  • Reply 524 of 650
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    muppetry wrote: »
    Oh right - those data are on the stats pages, in this case: 

http://forums.appleinsider.com/pages/stats/top/range/all/#members

If soli added soli + soliX he'd be king!
  • Reply 525 of 650
    Only the mods can see others data.

Oh where's the fun in that? :D
  • Reply 526 of 650
    christophb wrote: »
    I left open the possibility that i was being baited into a less than productive discussion. I also left open the possibility that I wasn't.

Half the time it's my English sense of humor ... but no, no attempt to bait. I have enough keeping up with the current discussion and I hate political discussions. Health care was a personal thing for me after i got royally shafted by Mutual of Omaha.
  • Reply 527 of 650
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Half the time it's my English sense of humor ... but no, no attempt to bait. I have enough keeping up with the current discussion and I hate political discussions. Health care was a personal thing for me after i got royally shafted by Mutual of Omaha.

Happy you're here and here.

I was brought up with the understanding that insurance is far from the first resort and government is for things that can't be handled by the individual, family or community.
  • Reply 528 of 650
    Going from my personal experience, it seems mundane to me that sexual preference is a choice. Have you ever been drunk? It’s amazing how things change then! 

More seriously, I remember that, as a boy on the cusp of puberty, sexual preference was a very undefined thing, and I could quite easily see how one could latch onto different desires. Perhaps it’s much simpler for others, but for me, I didn't immediately think that all women were extremely desirable at the first sign of puberty. It was a much gentler, subtler thing.

Happily, I latched onto the good old female bod with its attendant wonders.

To be clear, you were entering into puberty when you made a conscious decision to choose not to be gay?

My life — and I think I can speak or the majority of humans in the world — is very different from yours. Most of us know the general sex we're attracted to as a child even if we don't understand why.

It's interesting that it only seems to be non-gays who espouse the view that it is a choice to be gay. I wonder how many of them were themselves conflicted and made a choice not to be, and then assumed that everyone else must have followed the same pattern.

Has it not occurred to you that people convince themselves and others that they are attracted to particular people because, otherwise, they would be open to criticism? It's much easier for someone to defend themselves with, "Oh, I've always been this way for as long as I can remember" than it is to say, "I wasn't sure who I was attracted to, but eventually seemed to like certain people."

For those saying they knew they were attracted to the opposite sex as a child, I would say, come off it. Boys I played with seemed just as unaware of girls as I did. Girls seemed to be aware of boys at a younger age.
  • Reply 529 of 650
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Has it not occurred to you that people convince themselves and others that they are attracted to particular people because, otherwise, they would be open to criticism? It's much easier for someone to defend themselves with, "Oh, I've always been this way for as long as I can remember" than it is to say, "I wasn't sure who I was attracted to, but eventually seemed to like certain people."

No one convinces themselves, they convince others, and your rationale breaks down with the inference that people convince themselves they are homosexual when they are heterosexual.
    For those saying they knew they were attracted to the opposite sex as a child, I would say, come off it. Boys I played with seemed just as unaware of girls as I did. Girls seemed to be aware of boys at a younger age.

That might be your problem in accepting this, because I had no choice. My interest in women came by least the time I was in the first grade. The fact that you didn't have any interest in either sex until you hit puberty and had to a make a conscious choice to go with societal norms means are biologically very different people.
  • Reply 530 of 650
    Going from my personal experience, it seems mundane to me that sexual preference is a choice. Have you ever been drunk? It’s amazing how things change then! 

More seriously, I remember that, as a boy on the cusp of puberty, sexual preference was a very undefined thing, and I could quite easily see how one could latch onto different desires. Perhaps it’s much simpler for others, but for me, I didn't immediately think that all women were extremely desirable at the first sign of puberty. It was a much gentler, subtler thing.

Happily, I latched onto the good old female bod with its attendant wonders.

To be clear, you were entering into puberty when you made a conscious decision to choose not to be gay?

My life — and I think I can speak or the majority of humans in the world — is very different from yours. Most of us know the general sex we're attracted to as a child even if we don't understand why.

I think you just provided a clear supporting data point for my tentative hypothesis.
  • Reply 531 of 650
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Interesting that this this 65+ post isn't yet updated. I had thought I had around 30-somethign Thumbs Up in a comments from within the last month but I can't remember what they post would be so let's just say my memory is off, especially if this shows up in the Top 10 list tomorrow.
  • Reply 532 of 650
    Oh, I know the names of all my young crushes, which include countless girls on the small and large screen. It's funny, there are girls I've been "in love with" whom I've lived with who ultimately didn't make as long of a lasting impression on me. I know this because I either can't remember their faces or names without a lot of effort.

OT but relevant:
    It's interesting and weird to me, but as soon as you point out their inference about it being a choice for them they get very defensive (if they even respond at all).

Damn I corrected Mea Culpa seconds too late! lol

Wish I'd seen that report two years ago, it would have saved a painful biopsy for no good reason it turned out.:D

I too can remember them all from age 5 through last week, even the four wives. I don't have your non lasting issue, even in three day dates on school trips and cruises. I can't remember where I put the Apple TV remote two minutes ago though. But yes there was no need for any thinking for me, I was drawn to girls i found attractive from the get go. I always had a girl friend, I can't remember a time when i didn't.

The comments about puberty decisions from he who castigates is certainly interesting. I suspect you are on to something there,.
  • Reply 533 of 650

Interesting that this this 65+ post isn't yet updated. I had thought I had around 30-somethign Thumbs Up in a comments from within the last month but I can't remember what they post would be so let's just say my memory is off, especially if this shows up in the Top 10 list tomorrow.

It appears to update daily overnight, rather than in real time.

Also - you can check your own thumbs up posts on your profile page.
  • Reply 534 of 650

We broke AI.

BTW what is the difference between thumbs up and reputation?
  • Reply 535 of 650
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh where's the fun in that? image

I was trying to figure out how to turn on the visibility for that for all users. There’s a... what would you call it, a badge system for users with high/low reputation and levels you could see. The forum would have needed a reboot or whatever to do it, so it never got anywhere.

Thing is, it’s not a reflection of accuracy or anything, just “agreement”. 

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Same thing. Thumbs-upses count toward reputation. Each thumbs up is weighted depending on who gives it to you. Mods have the most power and for everyone else it’s based on some math involving how many posts they have. I think a single one of mine gives +50 reputation or something.

• Reply 536 of 650
    Oh where's the fun in that? :D

I was trying to figure out how to turn on the visibility for that for all users. There’s a... what would you call it, a badge system for users with high/low reputation and levels you could see. The forum would have needed a reboot or whatever to do it, so it never got anywhere.

Same thing. Thumbs-upses count toward reputation. Each thumbs up is weighted depending on who gives it to you. Mods have the most power and for everyone else it’s based on some math involving how many posts they have. I think a single one of mine gives +50 reputation or something.

I thought the reputation number was just the total of thumbs up received. I didn't realize there was any donor weighting involved.
  • Reply 537 of 650

It's a shame that clicking on the impressive 62 thumb-upper only reveals about 15 names. Must be a limit to the number listed.
  • Reply 538 of 650

We broke AI.

Nowt.
  • Reply 539 of 650

Thanks i really had never given any thought to any of that. But, see I knew i was right to think you were one of the greatest minds posting on AI :)
    I must ask Soli why he bifurcated.
  • Reply 540 of 650
    Nowt.

I haven't heard that said in many a decade.