Microsoft says public beta of new Office for Mac coming in first half of 2015

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    macvertigo wrote: »

I'd love to use the mail app in OS X but it sucks for business use.  I can't tell you how many times I've tried to attach something to an email and it doesn't go through.  Or I'll drop the attachment into my message and all the text after where the attachment appears won't show up when it's received.  If there was a way to correct that attachment issue, I'd go back and use it again.

With Yosemite that is no longer an issue as it uses iCloud for a bypass automatically if the file size is too big. Of course it could be the receiving end with the problem.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

There's no way they started this and delivered in under a year. It would have been started under Ballmer.

In fact since Satya took over were haven't seen any change to the direction Ballmer started. The strategy has been renamed from devices and services to mobile first cloud first, but it ultimately is all the same thing. There still continuing with hardware, azure and being on every platform. The only real change is closing some of the xbox stuff and getting rid of a load of people.

We're both speculating here but all I can say is that it's appeared on his watch while there's been stonewalling during the previous regime. I don't know why MS Office had to appear so ugly on the Mac and out of sync. That this release looks very similar to the Windows version and has some previously Windows-only features means something new is afoot. 

Since he came on board it's become an engineering-based company as opposed to sales-driven. Cortana and all that Windows 10 represents, affirmation of Azure relevance, stating the service priorities, new wearable, commitment to IoT. And the stock market seems to be happy if a 14 year high is any sign. Clearly he has harvested work done by his predecessor(s) including the layoffs (ouch) but he's taken the reins admirably.

• Reply 23 of 48
    ddawson100 wrote: »
    We're both speculating here but all I can say is that it's appeared on his watch while there's been stonewalling during the previous regime. I don't know why MS Office had to appear so ugly on the Mac and out of sync. T<span style="line-height:1.4em;">hat this release looks very similar to the Windows version and has some previously Windows-only features means something new is afoot. </span>

Since he came on board it's become an engineering-based company as opposed to sales-driven. Cortana and all that Windows 10 represents, affirmation of Azure relevance, stating the service priorities, new wearable, commitment to IoT. And the stock market seems to be happy if a 14 year high is any sign. Clearly he has harvested work done by his predecessor(s) including the layoffs (ouch) but he's taken the reins admirably.
    Don't get me wrong I think he's doing a fine job. But in the same way Tim Cooks been running apple did a bit of time now and the apple watch is really the first product that you can truly give him the credit for. A bit of time needs to pass before we see what Satya has initiated. Things like the band mention in there release that they started 5 years ago, and that's just how long some proudest cycles are.

Also were shouldn't forget Microsoft's a big company. A lot of these things have nothing to do with the guy running the company other than getting approval to do the product.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    This update is crap, and let me tell you why... Not only is it tied to Office 365 subscriptions, but they excluded it from the Small Business tier, and instead only made it available to Small Business Premium and above! And many people who already owned Office for Mac 2011 (like me) and got the Small Business subscription are now being given the finger and either forced to wait until mid-2015, or pay nearly DOUBLE the subscription fee just to get this.

F YOU MICROSOFT!
  • Reply 25 of 48
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Personally I only use online office suites now, there functionality is on par with their desktop counterparts and free. Here are the three that you guys really need to try, will give you a whole new perspective on how powerful web apps have become.

[B]Microsoft Office Online[/B], no you don't have to pay for it, all you need is a OneDrive account

https://office.com/start/default.aspx

[B]Zoho[/B], fantastic service, has every thing you could possible imagine

https://www.zoho.com/

[B]OnlyOffice[/B], a new service that just popped, I really like this one, has a fairly powerful scripting language for it's spreadsheet

http://www.onlyoffice.com/
  • Reply 26 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    relic wrote: »
    Personally I only use online office suites now, there functionality is on par with their desktop counterparts and free. Here are the three that you guys really need to try, will give you a whole new perspective on how powerful web apps have become.

Microsoft Office Online, no you don't have to pay for it, all you need is a OneDrive account

https://office.com/start/default.aspx

Zoho, fantastic service, has every thing you could possible imagine

https://www.zoho.com/

OnlyOffice, a new service that just popped, I really like this one, has a fairly powerful scripting language for it's spreadsheet

http://www.onlyoffice.com/

It is amazing what Apple started isn't it?
  • Reply 27 of 48

Apple, they were one of that last companies to get into web apps. I was using MS Office online a year before iCloud had Pages, Numbers or Keynote, Google Docs and Zoho, two years earlier. Sure they started iDisk, but services like iDrive were introduced 2 years earlier and Apple's offering wasn't an online web service. I hate to say it but I credit Google for introducing me into the world of web apps with my first ChromeBook. Apple is defiantly one of the newer players in this world and defiantly didn't start it.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

LOL.  Microsoft Office has been free on the web since like 2008 - and I believe GDocs was a year or two before that.  Apple no where near started anything...

• Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by codog24 View Post

And what about those of us who own Office 2011, and intend to buy (rather than subscribe to) new versions of the Office apps when they are available? Do we have a way to take advantage of the new Outlook before it's made available as a part of a future version of Office, or are we SOL until a year from now, unless we're willing to become Office 365 subscribers??

Well that's your choice. I went down the 365 Premium route to have flexibility to start using Outlook for Windows on Parallels, and then switch to Mac if it was good enough, without being tied to an investment. But when I switched to Mac hardware, I was prepared to buy the Mac version; it's just that the PC version was much better, and I felt I was prepared to put up with the inconvenience and extra cost for the better features. And also I have an investment in Adobe CS5, and the only upgrade that would work properly on a retina screen is CC, which is ridiculously expensive.

The news that I was really referring to is that the software is released now for anyone to test, including you as far as I know, if you sign up for a free Office 365 test account.

• Reply 30 of 48

Still no mention of a OneDrive for Business app for OSX.

• Reply 31 of 48

Still no MAPI? Interest is minimal...

• Reply 32 of 48
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

How about bringing this "feature parity" to Lync client for Mac also?

• Reply 33 of 48
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    You can buy Office 2013.

You do understand that Office 2013 is Windows-based software?

Feature parity for me isn't so bad, But when I have large excel with hundreds of data pints, and I need to plot, it's more than 10x faster to use office 2003 On a virtual mâché than it is to use Mac excel 2010, which makes no sense

Excel 2010 is Windows-based software. The most recent version of Excel:mac is Excel 2011, part of the Office 2011 suite.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    I don't get it....looks just like Apple Mail.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

You do understand that Office 2013 is Windows-based software?

Excel 2010 is Windows-based software. The most recent version of Excel:mac is Excel 2011, part of the Office 2011 suite.

Yes - sorry that was a typo. I use Excel 2011. Truth is when dealing with large spreadsheets with 100's f data points, its MUCH faster to copy the file, and open it in Windows excel 2003 and chart, plot the data, on a virtual machine, than it is to open the same file in MAC office 2011.

So my 2 wishes for the next MAC excel, is that it remains available as software that can be purchased (not rented, a la 365) and that its as fast as older windows software.

• Reply 36 of 48
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    patrickg wrote: »
    Why Outlook when we have OSX Mail? For the simple reason that Exchange email on Apple Mail is terrible... it's never worked very well (long delays when receiving emails), and now is even worse under Yosemite. Also, Apple Mail is woefully under-featured compared to Outlook for Mac (which is itself under-featured when compared to the Windows version). Although I would love to rely on Apple Mail for my business Exchange account, it is too unreliable.

I've compared my various Exchange options, and Apple Mail always comes dead last in terms of delivery:

OWA Exchange and Outlook for Windows: instant delivery

iPhone: almost instant delivery

Outlook for Mac: delay of 5-6 seconds

Apple Mail: delays of anywhere from 30 secs to 2-3 minutes to never...

1) never heard of mail delivery delay. And I use an Exchange account on my Mac and iPhone: works instantly.

2) "Outlook for Mac: delay of 5-6 seconds" Why is this is a bad thing? If you want an instant reply why don't you call the person up?

3) Never heard of OSX Mail not receiving mail. Never.

macvertigo wrote: »
    I'd love to use the mail app in OS X but it sucks for business use.  I can't tell you how many times I've tried to attach something to an email and it doesn't go through.  Or I'll drop the attachment into my message and all the text after where the attachment appears won't show up when it's received.  If there was a way to correct that attachment issue, I'd go back and use it again.

Never heard of attachments not going through. And searching for that problem on the Internet gives me zilch.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I would like to buy Word and Outlook on the Mac App Store. I'm not interested in the other parts of Office, or in buying it on the Web, or in subscribing to something.

• Reply 38 of 48
    polish wrote: »
    Still no mention of a OneDrive for Business app for OSX.

DropBox, Box, iCloud, GDrive don't have a business client why should OneDrive, what would make it a business, what other possible features could be added to give it that distinction.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    magman1979 wrote: »
    This update is crap, and let me tell you why... Not only is it tied to Office 365 subscriptions, but they excluded it from the Small Business tier, and instead only made it available to Small Business Premium and above! And many people who already owned Office for Mac 2011 (like me) and got the Small Business subscription are now being given the finger and either forced to wait until mid-2015, or pay nearly DOUBLE the subscription fee just to get this.

F YOU MICROSOFT!
    The "Microsoft Small Business" subscription option does not include Microsoft Office licenses. Therefore, you don't get Outlook. There are other small business options that do, but if that's the exact name of your subscription type, you don't get Office software downloads. Only Lync and OneDrive.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    relic wrote: »
    DropBox, Box, iCloud, GDrive don't have a business client why should OneDrive, what would make it a business, what other possible features could be added to give it that distinction.
    1 - Microsoft has published a OneDrive app for personal subscriptions
    2 - Subscribers get unlimited online storage
    3 - The clients allow access to cloud files via a folder-type interface in the OS (very easy to use)