Microsoft says public beta of new Office for Mac coming in first half of 2015

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    runbuh wrote: »
    1 - Microsoft has published a OneDrive app for personal subscriptions
    2 - Subscribers get unlimited online storage
    3 - The clients allow access to cloud files via a folder-type interface in the OS (very easy to use)

Fine but the first two has nothing to do with the actual client itself, and the third, the OneDrive integration into the filesystem application is available for personal accounts in OSX as well. OneDrive is already a part of Windows 8 so there is nothing to do their.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    relic wrote: »
    Fine but the first two has nothing to do with the actual client itself, and the third, the OneDrive integration into the filesystem application is available for personal accounts in OSX as well. OneDrive is already a part of Windows 8 so there is nothing to do their.
    Who said anything about Windows 8? This is about why there needs to be a client for the OneDrive business account users on OS X. The client for One Drive personal accounts doesn't work for business accounts. Since there is unlimited storage (or 1TB of storage if your account hasn't been upgraded, yet) then there is certainly a need for a OneDrive client for business accounts on OS X to facilitate management of the storage space with something besides Safari.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    relic wrote: »
    DropBox, Box, iCloud, GDrive don't have a business client why should OneDrive, what would make it a business, what other possible features could be added to give it that distinction.
    OneDrive for business is a completely different product to OneDrive, its just confusingly named the same thing as part of Microsoft's "use our stuff for free at home, then want it at work" idea. Bit like outlook.com and actual outlook.

It has quite a few extra features over OneDrive that make it more suitable to a business. The clients aren't interchangeable though and there currently isn't one for osx. Some of the others like the phone client are starting to support both platforms though.
  • Reply 44 of 48

Hello, Relic!

As a Marketing Manager of OnlyOffice  I just wanted to thank you for mentioning our product here, and I'm really glad that you like it.

We're planning to release a new version this year. Please, feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions on the application.

Best,

Nina (nina.gorbunova (at) onlyoffice.com)

• Reply 45 of 48

I'm constantly amazed at how many people/companies think that Dropbox, BOX, Google Drive, and OneDrive are pretty much the be-all end-all of cloud storage/sync. I've been using copy.com from Barracuda Networks and found it to be far superior to Dropbox, BOX and Google (I don't use OneDrive, so I can't compare there) for personal use - and I know they offer a paid business tier. You would think being Barracuda Networks, they would have a slight edge with enterprise/business.

• Reply 46 of 48
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    macgizmo wrote: »
    I'm constantly amazed at how many people/companies think that Dropbox, BOX, Google Drive, and OneDrive are pretty much the be-all end-all of cloud storage/sync. I've been using copy.com from Barracuda Networks and found it to be far superior to Dropbox, BOX and Google (I don't use OneDrive, so I can't compare there) for personal use - and I know they offer a paid business tier. You would think being Barracuda Networks, they would have a slight edge with enterprise/business.

I like OneDive, personally I think its the best solution out there but I'm starting to use iCloud more now that Apple finially sped up their service here in Switzerland. Never used Barracuda, can you stream your media directly from a website?
  • Reply 47 of 48
    ingsocingsoc Posts: 212member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Howie Isaacks View Post

They don't get in a hurry. I don't care anyway. We don't need Microsoft's bloatware. iWork does everything I need, and Outlook on the Mac is horrible. It's time for businesses to start weaning themselves off of Microsoft.

Perhaps: except that Office 365 on Windows is really, really good.

If Microsoft brings over the best of that to the Mac version, then I'll be pleased (and like others, I won't need to run a VM to use the latest Office anymore).

• Reply 48 of 48

I'm surprised at how many people I know have purchased MS Office for Mac simply because they "get a few files a year that they need it for." You can use MS Office apps for free on MS's website–all you need is a free account.

For all but the enterprise user who needs every last Excel feature, Apple's free iWork apps can easily handle most tasks (though they certainly aren't perfect).