Navy Federal, USAA, U.S. Bank, others kick off second wave of Apple Pay rollouts [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

The avalanche of Apple Pay support continues (with Banks/CC companies advertising Apple Pay for free), Apple's stock price is just about to hit $110 ($770 pre-split), and Apple's position in the marketplace has never been stronger. Apple is right now the strongest it has ever been in its entire history, with barely any weak points, and those that exist being filled up quickly (ie. cloud features, OS extensibility, device options, etc)

With Christmas sales coming up, larger iPad, new Mac Notebooks, etc. it's going to be a monster few months. 

• Reply 22 of 48

differences between credit card and debit

credit card

you swipe the card at the retailer. the retailer places a temporary authorization on your account and holds your funds for a period of 5 to 7 business days. if the retailer does not tell the bank exactly what you bought, the authorization is removed. otherwise the charge gets

posted to your account. sometimes all it takes is a $1.00 authorization to order a mac mini to get the order into processing. . you are not responsible for unauthorized charges. the bank gets a copy of your sales draft. the expiration date and code on the back must match.

in the old days, the expiration date could be made up

debit card

you swipe your card at the retailer, you enter your pin #. the money gets sucked out of your account, no mater what. and the bank has no documentation what soever what you purchased. you are not liable for unauthorized charges but the process may be more involved. you are also not responsible for malfunctioning ATM machines. 

the only exception to debit card i can think of is EBT. if you use EBT, the state may get a printout of what you bought or they might not.

merchant fees

afaik the retailer pays 2.5 % for credit and 35 or 50 cents for debit. 

rambling

afaik the merchant pays a 35 to 50 cent swipe fee if you buy a small 99 cent coffee at 7-eleven with your atm card. . why they are mad about apple pay instead of being mad at ATM networks is something i do not understand

how come all those grocery stores and mini marts didn't complain when they had to get a separate machine to process EBT (Food Stamps ) ? beause apple pay is an apple thing, they are against them and throwing rocks at apple. if EBT rolled out RFID/EMV the retailers would bend over backwards 

• Reply 23 of 48
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    jungmark wrote: »
    I meant the debit card. But I'm sure you guys have perfect posting history.

OK, how does debit card instead of credit card change anything with your comment? [@]iaeen[/@] (post #14) states it well.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    exdlexdl Posts: 7member

My Barclaycard arrival+ card did not activate last Monday, 10/27.  After reading this thread, I just tried it and it may have worked.  My final activation step told me to call Barclaycard with a link provided from a 'VERIFICATION REQUIRED' screen.  The woman I spoke with said I was good to go, but my Passbook still says I need to activate.  Will give it some time to sync.

The operator did tell me tomorrow is Barclaycard's service went live today, with tomorrow being their official communication out to customers.

Tried my USAA debit card too and it worked.  Hadn't tried it prior so am unsure when that officially went live.

Oddly enough, both cards have small graphical discrepancies.  The digital arrival+ card looks good except for the logo...says the card is just 'arrival'.  The USAA card is way off; my physical card is pure navy but my digital card is navy with stars, a stripe and other decor (looks pretty cool, actually).

• Reply 25 of 48
    exdl wrote: »
    My Barclaycard arrival+ card did not activate last Monday, 10/27.  After reading this thread, I just tried it and it may have worked.  My final activation step told me to call Barclaycard with a link provided from a 'VERIFICATION REQUIRED' screen.  The woman I spoke with said I was good to go, but my Passbook still says I need to activate.  Will give it some time to sync.
    The operator did tell me tomorrow is Barclaycard's service went live today, with tomorrow being their official communication out to customers.

Tried my USAA debit card too and it worked.  Hadn't tried it prior so am unsure when that officially went live.

Oddly enough, both cards have small graphical discrepancies.  The digital arrival+ card looks good except for the logo...says the card is just 'arrival'.  The USAA card is way off; my physical card is pure navy but my digital card is navy with stars, a stripe and other decor (looks pretty cool, actually).

You need to call Barclay and have them activate it. When they push it through it will show up activated on your end immediately if you're in the Passbook app.

This is all very new to them so be patient. I think I was lucky with the CSR.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    What are you talking about?

Apple Pay doesn't link directly to people's bank accounts. People use their credit and debit cards when paying with Apple Pay.

You set up a credit or debit card into Apple Pay and then you can pay from your device, using Touch ID.

Your card will get charged for the purchase.

Linking directly to your bank account, and requiring your SS#, your DL, your health information and your first born child is how CurrentC works.

Do you use a debit or credit card? Do you trust those?

Apple Pay is the same thing, expect it's more secure since it uses tokenization, and retailers will not be able to store your info, unlike when you use an actual credit or debit card. Not to mention the convenience of using Touch ID when paying.
    FYI, only American Debit cards, and some European Visa cards (V-Pay) work that way.

And it's preferrable to have a debit card that functions like a credit card, as it tends to have the same protections as a credit card, as opposed to straight bank account direct debits which should only be done by FDIC covered banks. Everyone that can accept both credit, debit and direct debit(ACH) will always present the ACH method first because it costs them 3% less. And to companies that do that, screw you I will pay with credit as long as my credit card offers cash back, points or airmiles, regardless if I ever use the bonus feature. The entire reason I use my credit card and not the debit card is for the protection.

If businesses really want to side-line the credit card companies, please, give us your bank accounts so we can directly debit refunds from your business.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    jungmark wrote: »

I meant the debit card. But I'm sure you guys have perfect posting history.

I stopped using my debit card at retail stores (never used it online) when Target got hacked and Wells Fargo issued new card. I'll resume using it now that it requires my print and those retailers won't have my name, number, postal code and whatever else they can mine from the strip.

-C

P.S. My posting record is far from perfect. I get corrected quite a bit.

P.P.S. My USAA Mastercard is still a no-go.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    rigorkrad wrote: »
    differences between credit card and debit

credit card
    you swipe the card at the retailer. the retailer places a temporary authorization on your account and holds your funds for a period of 5 to 7 business days. if the retailer does not tell the bank exactly what you bought, the authorization is removed. otherwise the charge gets
    posted to your account. sometimes all it takes is a $1.00 authorization to order a mac mini to get the order into processing. . you are not responsible for unauthorized charges. the bank gets a copy of your sales draft. the expiration date and code on the back must match.
    in the old days, the expiration date could be made up

debit card
    you swipe your card at the retailer, you enter your pin #. the money gets sucked out of your account, no mater what. and the bank has no documentation what soever what you purchased. you are not liable for unauthorized charges but the process may be more involved. you are also not responsible for malfunctioning ATM machines. 

the only exception to debit card i can think of is EBT. if you use EBT, the state may get a printout of what you bought or they might not.

merchant fees
    afaik the retailer pays 2.5 % for credit and 35 or 50 cents for debit. 

rambling
    afaik the merchant pays a 35 to 50 cent swipe fee if you buy a small 99 cent coffee at 7-eleven with your atm card. . why they are mad about apple pay instead of being mad at ATM networks is something i do not understand
    how come all those grocery stores and mini marts didn't complain when they had to get a separate machine to process EBT (Food Stamps ) ? beause apple pay is an apple thing, they are against them and throwing rocks at apple. if EBT rolled out RFID/EMV the retailers would bend over backwards 

I think part of it was that at least they can track you and your spending habits when using a card, but with Apple Pay, you're 100% anonymous, even from what you're doing from Apple! That's worth something and now they can't get even that. I think I've times these fees should drop some because fraud is all but gone using Apple Pay. That can be a big savings, so pass that along.

The only way they can track you using Apple Pay is a rewards card like Amazon's Chase card. It wouldn't do any good fire say 7-11, but Amazon would know what you paid for.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

I'm thrilled to see US Bank on the list, when just last week the teller manager at my branch was telling me she had never heard of ?Pay. LOL

But, I have an iPhone 5S and an iPad 3. So ?Pay will not be on my agenda this holiday shopping season.

That said, in the interim, is there any way to use an external NFC Antenna case like the Isis powered Incipio CashWrap or DeviceFidelity with ?Pay, or is Apple blocking external solutions like that from using ?Pay?

I have been looking at PayPal as a way to make mobile payments until I get ?Pay, but I can't really figure it out. It's definitely not something that has wide-spread adoption for use at my local grocery store, and seems to work best when I want to buy something before I get to the store and just pick it up when I get there.

• Reply 30 of 48
    mac_128 wrote: »
    I'm thrilled to see US Bank on the list, when just last week the teller manager at my branch was telling me she had never heard of ?Pay. LOL

But, I have an iPhone 5S and an iPad 3. So ?Pay will not be on my agenda this holiday shopping season.

That said, in the interim, is there any way to use an external NFC Antenna case like the Isis powered Incipio CashWrap or DeviceFidelity with ?Pay, or is Apple blocking external solutions like that from using ?Pay?

I have been looking at PayPal as a way to make mobile payments until I get ?Pay, but I can't really figure it out. It's definitely not something that has wide-spread adoption for use at my local grocery store, and seems to work best when I want to buy something before I get to the store and just pick it up when I get there.

Not so much blocking it, as your device doesn't have the necessary HW or SW for ?Pay. Let's say Apple allowed some third-party NFC chip and antenna solution. You still don't have the Secure Element or the SW. Now, when the ?Watch arrives they will include SW for three iPhone models (iPhone 5, 5C, and 5S) which will allow it to read such information to send to the ?Watch for storage on its Secure Element. Even if the ?Pay SW was removed and rewritten to be read via the Lightning Connector via some Jailbreak solution who would make all the HW for this to happen?

TL;DR — Not going to happen.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

USAA, PNC Bank, and Barclaycard customers have also reported that their accounts have become Apple Pay-enabled, though those institutions have yet to issue official releases.

USAA is featuring Apple Pay on their home page now.  I don't have an iPhone 6, so I can't try it out.

• Reply 32 of 48
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Misa View Post

And it's preferrable to have a debit card that functions like a credit card, as it tends to have the same protections as a credit card, as opposed to straight bank account direct debits which should only be done by FDIC covered banks. Everyone that can accept both credit, debit and direct debit(ACH) will always present the ACH method first because it costs them 3% less. And to companies that do that, screw you I will pay with credit as long as my credit card offers cash back, points or airmiles, regardless if I ever use the bonus feature. The entire reason I use my credit card and not the debit card is for the protection.

If businesses really want to side-line the credit card companies, please, give us your bank accounts so we can directly debit refunds from your business.

I think that the point of MCX is that it will act as a direct debit transaction, not as a credit transaction. If you plan to use MCX, when you register your card, it will register as a debit card, not a credit card, otherwise the retailer will be paying for a more expensive credit transaction.

• Reply 33 of 48
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

Yeah, Apple would never monitor user info.    My bad.  

This being the internet and all, I'm not sure if your reply is attempting to be sarcastic or not.

But the facts are that Google knows your purchase history and Apple doesn't. Your transactions on Google Wallet are not private. Your transactions with Apple Pay are.

• Reply 34 of 48
    STILL NO support from TDBank! I'm emailing the CEO to ask if he lives under a rock.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Even if the ?Pay SW was removed and rewritten to be read via the Lightning Connector via some Jailbreak solution who would make all the HW for this to happen?
    But why wouldn't Apple license the technology? The hardware already existed, but as far as I can tell as soon as ?Pay came out the Incipio CashWrap for iPhone was discontinued, and Isis/SoftCard dropped support for the iPhone, just after their spokesmen said Apple was working with them to bring SoftCard to the iPhone. So somebody's blocking somebody. Why would the SoftCard folks want to turn their backs on the tens of millions of iPhones that don't have built-in NFC just because ?Pay is their competitor? Seems like Apple is turning their backs on them. Why would Apple be interested in a $20 case to enable ?Pay when they can charge $400? All I need is the secure element, not the whole watch. Just license it to a third party to put in a case, or do it themselves. It seems to me then oal would be to get as many people using ?Pay as possible, by whatever means necessary, not just selling new products.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    mac_128 wrote: »
    But why wouldn't Apple license the technology? The hardware already existed, but as far as I can tell as soon as ?Pay came out the Incipio CashWrap for iPhone was discontinued, and Isis/SoftCard dropped support for the iPhone, just after their spokesmen said Apple was working with them to bring SoftCard to the iPhone. So somebody's blocking somebody. Why would the SoftCard folks want to turn their backs on the tens of millions of iPhones that don't have built-in NFC just because ?Pay is their competitor? Seems like Apple is turning their backs on them. Why would Apple be interested in a $20 case to enable ?Pay when they can charge $400? All I need is the secure element, not the whole watch. Just license it to a third party to put in a case, or do it themselves. It seems to me then oal would be to get as many people using ?Pay as possible, by whatever means necessary, not just selling new products.

You're asking why wouldn't Apple license the technology and in the same paragraph asking why would Apple license the technology. :???:

You've answered your own questions in your post. Apple isn't going to make a $20 dongle (it would be more expensive than that) with an NFC chip, Secure Element, and antenna so people with older iPhones can have ?Pay now. Why would they bother when people very likely to be upgrading within a couple years? And even if there was some hypothetical that forced this as the only solution, Apple wouldn't do it because it's a horrible solution to a problem that only exists as a positional good that will ultimately push people to buy new devices.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

Yeah, Apple would never monitor user info.    My bad.  

Are you seriously comparing Apple and Google on privacy issues? No, I didn't think so - nobody's that clueless.

• Reply 39 of 48
    phalanxphalanx Posts: 109member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This being the internet and all, I'm not sure if your reply is attempting to be sarcastic or not.

But the facts are that Google knows your purchase history and Apple doesn't. Your transactions on Google Wallet are not private. Your transactions with Apple Pay are.

Well, to be perfectly clear,  Apple is "aware" of the details of EVERY purchase you make with Apple Pay.  Whether they decide to collect, or use that information is COMPLETELY up to them.    You believe that they will not use it, I like your optimism.