Navy Federal, USAA, U.S. Bank, others kick off second wave of Apple Pay rollouts [u]

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    phalanx wrote: »
    Well, to be perfectly clear,  Apple is "aware" of the details of EVERY purchase you make with Apple Pay.  Whether they decide to collect, or use that information is COMPLETELY up to them.    You believe that they will not use it, I like your optimism.  

Source?

Cause that's EXACTLY the opposite of what Apple told the world.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

Source?

Cause that's EXACTLY the opposite of what Apple told the world.

Ok, Let's think about this.  Apple is getting paid a percentage of the transactions, correct?   So you think that Apple just "trusts" Visa to send them a check every month for the transactions that the Apple Pay handled for them?     They have to know exactly how much each transaction was, and where it was made, in order to audit the service, or to verify a Visa payment to them.

• Reply 43 of 48
    Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

Ok, Let's think about this.

No, let’s have some proof.

• Reply 44 of 48
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

Ok, Let's think about this.  Apple is getting paid a percentage of the transactions, correct?   So you think that Apple just "trusts" Visa to send them a check every month for the transactions that the Apple Pay handled for them?     They have to know exactly how much each transaction was, and where it was made, in order to audit the service, or to verify a Visa payment to them.

That's not a source; that's just you typing words.

So far, the details of Apple's contract with the Credit Card Companies are just rumor and hearsay. I will concede that Apple is probably collecting fees on Apple Pay purchases; however, nobody has any details of the auditing system in place. It's possible that Apple does actually "trust" CC Companies. I doubt that whatever fees Apple is collecting is a real moneymaker, so why waste the time auditing them. Even if they are audited, it is entirely possible that it is done by a third party accounting firm. Even if Apple does it themselves, they have no need to know who made the purchases or what was purchased.

Contrast your empty speculation with the many firm statements Apple has made recently about its commitment to privacy. Tim Cook recently wrote an open letter about Apple's privacy policy. Phil Schiller has on several occasions stated that Apple does not collect user data in addition to outlining how Apple Pay works to keep transactions private.

You can call it overly optimistic if you want, but unless you can offer something more than the assertions of some random guy on the internet, I will continue to believe that Apple's business model is exactly what they as well as independent observation say it is.

• Reply 45 of 48
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

And even if there was some hypothetical that forced this as the only solution, Apple wouldn't do it because it's a horrible solution to a problem that only exists as a positional good that will ultimately push people to buy new devices.

The ?Watch is pretty much Apple's "dongle. And yes it's a lot more expensive than $20. Doing a quick internet search the ATT & Verizon Isis Incipio iPhone case (which works with the 4-5S) looks like it retailed for around $70. That's still a lot less than $400, even if Apple charged $100 for it. Besides, Apple sells overpriced dongles for just about every device it makes to make them compatible with the rest of the world, so I'm not sure why this is any different.

The argument you're making is basically that Apple doesn't care about their existing customer base, or maximizing the impact of ?Pay, only selling new products. And I don't see that it is a horrible solution. If anything it's a motivator for customers to upgrade to the more elegant solutions, while simultaneously getting their feet wet with new technology many don't understand. I recently explained to a friend of mine who bought an iPhone 6 that since her bank supported it, she should be using ?Pay, which she knew little about, nor why it would be worth her trying. When I explained the benefits she was sold and willing to try it, but she didn't have to upgrade her phone to do it. As it catches on, there will others who won't have any way to get their feet wet until they upgrade their phones, which as you said is as much as two years away. That's a lot transactions Apple is not going to get paid on. And wouldn't you think that Apple would want to expand the pool of ?Pay users as widely and quickly as possible? 

That's all I'm saying. It's a lost opportunity. I'm not gonna upgrade my phone just to get ?Pay, nor will I buy an ?Watch, but I would use a case for it, and many need a case anyway, so why not get one that does something useful (it can also hold my ID which I will always need)? That's literally 2 years of billions of collective transactions Apple is going to get paid for from iPhones which otherwise would forgo any kind of ?Pay solutions until they upgraded to s supported phone. 

As for me, I love my 5S, and unless Apple offers an upgraded 5S-sized phone next year, I'm gonna hold on to it as long as I can. So what has ?Pay done for me? It's raised awareness of the ability to pay without carrying my credit cards everywhere I go, or if I forget one. And what am I doing about it? Looking for alternate payment methods. Just downloaded the PayPal app and the CurrentC App. If Apple won't support me, too bad of all. I realize I don't represent the majority of customers, but neither do you. Apple has an opportunity to push ?Pay into the public consciousness, and force quick adoption by merchants, but not if only a fraction of it's potential customer base is leveraged, which is what the iPhone 6 crowd represents at the moment. I've no doubt ?Pay will dominate in the end, but it's going to be a long slow battle against to competition, which Apple is opening themselves up to more over the next year. 

The reality is, right now ?Pay is a curiosity. I would still have to carry around my credit cards, and ID anyway, to cover all the places ?Pay doesn't cover. But the longer Apple waits to get the majority of their customer base engaged, the longer it will take for ?Pay to take off.

• Reply 46 of 48
    phalanxphalanx Posts: 109member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

That's not a source; that's just you typing words.

So far, the details of Apple's contract with the Credit Card Companies are just rumor and hearsay. I will concede that Apple is probably collecting fees on Apple Pay purchases; however, nobody has any details of the auditing system in place. It's possible that Apple does actually "trust" CC Companies. I doubt that whatever fees Apple is collecting is a real moneymaker, so why waste the time auditing them. Even if they are audited, it is entirely possible that it is done by a third party accounting firm. Even if Apple does it themselves, they have no need to know who made the purchases or what was purchased.

Contrast your empty speculation with the many firm statements Apple has made recently about its commitment to privacy. Tim Cook recently wrote an open letter about Apple's privacy policy. Phil Schiller has on several occasions stated that Apple does not collect user data in addition to outlining how Apple Pay works to keep transactions private.

You can call it overly optimistic if you want, but unless you can offer something more than the assertions of some random guy on the internet, I will continue to believe that Apple's business model is exactly what they as well as independent observation say it is.

Time will tell, if the random guy on the internet was wise or not.  I am sure Phil and Tim have no reason to mis-lead. 

• Reply 47 of 48
    It's great to hear all the additional banks and retailers rolling out support for ApplePay in the US. Hopefully it won't be long until we hear something about international rollouts. Hearing so many stories on here about how much people love using ApplePay is making me jealous. :p
  • Reply 48 of 48
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,023member

One of my CUs said they were "accepted" and in the waiting list to be able to support Apple Pay with their cards and they linked to this list:

https://acceptingpayments.quora.com/The-Stunning-List-Showing-444-Of-The-500+-US-Banks-Supporting-Apple-Pay