Christian Bale passes on role of Steve Jobs, actor reportedly felt he wasn't right for part

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2014
Though Christian Bale was in final talks to play Steve Jobs in an upcoming biopic, the actor has reportedly decided to pass on the part, as he allegedly did not feel he was the right person to play the iconic figure on film.

Steve Jobs

Citing unnamed sources, The Hollywood Reporter revealed on Monday that Bale, an Academy Award winning actor, has exited the project. No potential replacements were named, though director Danny Boyle, himself an Oscar winner as well, is in Hollywood to meet with actors for the movie.

"Sources say Bale, after much deliberation and conflicting feelings, came to the conclusion he was not right for the part and decided to withdraw," the report said.

Bale is the second high-profile actor to circle the project, only to ultimately exit. Previously, Leonardo DiCaprio was targeted for the part, but he reportedly passed on the role earlier this month.

Previous names suggested for the part included Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, and Bradley Cooper. The anticipated film has had a number of issues in production, as director David Fincher also abandoned the project after demanding $10 million in upfront payment and full control over marketing.

The only person confirmed to be onboard is Oscar winning screenwriter Aaron Sorkin, who has penned the screenplay based on Walter Isaacson's official Jobs biography. The movie is said to feature three scenes leading up to Jobs's introduction of key product unveilings: the original Mac, NeXT, and the iPod.

Last week it was said that actor Seth Rogan was in final talks to play the role of Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak. It's unclear if Bale's exit from the picture might have an effect on other actors linked to the project.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Oh well. I was really eager to see him trash some lights.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Well that's a shame...
  • Reply 3 of 62
    What about Zach Galifinakis? He could play the version of Jobs played by that Mike Daisey dude.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    Seth Rogan as Woz sounds truly horrible.
  • Reply 5 of 62
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Get Larry Page to do it.

He really wants to be Jobs.
  • Reply 6 of 62
    Why focus on the Mac, NeXT and the iPod only?

I'd almost rather this movie just not happen, Issacsons book is drek.
  • Reply 7 of 62

Maybe he just didn't like the script?

• Reply 8 of 62
    That is a real shame...he was perfect for the part...not many other actors that could bring that kind of mercurial presence to the role.
  • Reply 9 of 62

I thought he was fundamentally unsuited for the role. There are so many good actors out there to choose from.

Seth Rogan? Ugh.

• Reply 10 of 62

Despite repeatedly being turned down, Jong-Kyun Shin keeps applying for some reason. 

• Reply 11 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I thought he was fundamentally unsuited for the role. There are so many good actors out there to choose from.

Seth Rogan? Ugh.

Unsuited? How so, and which actors do you believe are more suitable?

• Reply 12 of 62
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Despite repeatedly being turned down, Jong-Kyun Shin keeps applying for some reason. 

There's always the incredibly innovative, Lei Jun, the CEO of Xiaomi.

He bares an incredible likeness to Jobs and I hear Wozniak is very impressed by him.

I don't know if he can act but, if he can't, he can just copy what the othe actors are doing.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    Oh well. I was really eager to see him f*cking trash some f*cking lights when trashing a f*cking scene!!!

Fixed that for you.
  • Reply 14 of 62
    Boo. Just get Morgan Freeman to do it. He's great at playing the ruler of the universe.

Sean Penn or Daniel Day Lewis could also give it a go.
  • Reply 15 of 62
    roakeroake Posts: 811member

"You wanna know my secret identity?"

• Reply 16 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Unsuited? How so, and which actors do you believe are more suitable?

For starters, remarkable actor: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001804/

Weird how much he looks like SJ in the later years. (But not sure how to deal with a younger SJ or a super-emaciated SJ.... perhaps some digital effects?)

• Reply 17 of 62
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

his loss

how about Gregory Lee instead?

• Reply 18 of 62
    I really wanted to see BatJobs.
  • Reply 19 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

For starters, remarkable actor: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001804/

Weird how much he looks like SJ in the later years. (But not sure how to deal with a younger SJ or a super-emaciated SJ.... perhaps some digital effects?)

Tucci is too old, but he is a good actor.

• Reply 20 of 62
    Andy Serkis could play woz