Unicode consortium looks to bring ethnic diversity to emoji by mid-2015

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

And I'll bet they do nothing - NOTHING - for us older folks...

Geezer Pride!!!!!

• Reply 22 of 65
    NO! don't take away the Simpsons/Asian dominance.
  • Reply 23 of 65
    If that's a halfway serious comment, my guess is that you're 13.

Let's see. Woefully inadequate (and glitchy) Music app for the iPad, copy/paste issues across the system, text selection issues across the system, multi-finger gesture issues systemwide...I can go on. But no, clearly emojis are so much more important. After all, they cause true suffering. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 24 of 65
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Nice. Next: Bearded emojis please!! Also bearded face recognition, lol. Hey that sample character looked really nice. Great style. I'd be happy if ALL iOS emojis changed at some point, toward that style. It doesn't look good right now. Now that iOS is changing, the emoji look like.. iOS 1 or something.
  • Reply 25 of 65
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    [INDENT]I don't know why this would upset anyone. Total non issue. [/INDENT]
  • Reply 26 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Let's see. Woefully inadequate (and glitchy) Music app for the iPad, copy/paste issues across the system, text selection issues across the system, multi-finger gesture issues systemwide...I can go on. But no, clearly emojis are so much more important. After all, they cause true suffering. image

^green emoji for all. Problem solved. I won't be offended if my skin colour is not represented.

• Reply 27 of 65
    Wow! We must have solved every other technological problem under the sun! I went to bed last night with stuff all around the world falling to bits, but when I opened this article, the only possible conclusion I could draw was that every major issue out there was good and eliminated. Because if everything hadn't been solved, there's no way people would be wondering if stupid, meaningless crap like this needed to be included in whatever tech advancements were produced this year! Nobody really- what?
    I have just been informed that all the world's problems have NOT been solved, that it's still the same screwed up planet it was yesterday andthedaybeforethat.....
  • Reply 28 of 65
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Let's see. Woefully inadequate (and glitchy) Music app for the iPad, copy/paste issues across the system, text selection issues across the system, multi-finger gesture issues systemwide...I can go on. But no, clearly emojis are so much more important. After all, they cause true suffering. image

It's a known fact that Apple only have one developer, who is incapable of multitasking.

• Reply 29 of 65
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    People use these? Figured after speech to text people would opt for words.
  • Reply 30 of 65
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Is it racist that Emoji smiley faces are yellow and it was invented Japan?¡
  • Reply 31 of 65
    christophb wrote: »
    People use these? Figured after speech to text people would opt for words.

You can still use Emoji with speech to text. I don't know how many are available for Siri, but the common ones are. In fact, these are much easier to do with speech-to-text than having to change your keyboard layout. You just say smiley face at the end of a sentence the way would say question mark or close quote in your dictation.

PS: One interesting aspect to the new Messages feature where you can send audio messages is that I find myself using this feature for longer and/or more detailed comments that I know Siri won't understand, but speaking the punctuation like I'm doing speech-to-text.
  • Reply 32 of 65
    solipsismy wrote: »
    You can still use Emoji with speech to text. I don't know how many are available for Siri, but the common ones are. In fact, these are much easier to do with speech-to-text than having to change your keyboard layout. You just say smiley face at the end of a sentence the way would say question mark or close quote in your dictation.

I now regret posting. ????
    PS: One interesting aspect to the new Messages feature where you can send audio messages is that I find myself using this feature for longer and/or more detailed comments that I know Siri won't understand, but speaking the punctuation like I'm doing speech-to-text.

I use this while I drive or urgent matters while on other calls so I don't have to bother checking for text to speech misses. I so dig this feature.
  • Reply 33 of 65
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    That'll complete the set after gay emoji

Emoji_01.jpg

OUTRAGE!!!!!¡

WHY AREN'T BISEXUALS REPRESENTED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ichi!!!!!!
  • Reply 34 of 65
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    They should let u hold down the emoji and select alternative skins from there like they do letters. would be intuitive and easy to use.

I also see this update causing MORE racism from racists and jokesters. Example: Using a Mexican sad face and typing "Arizona's gonna get you amigo!"
  • Reply 35 of 65
    christophb wrote: »
    I use this while I drive or urgent matters while on other calls so I don't have to bother checking for text to speech misses. I so dig this feature.

1) Have you encountered that issue? I think it's kind of funny when I do it.

2) I find that feature very helpful whilst driving but I'd really like that to be a steering wheel option so I can keep both hands on the wheel. Unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen, even with CarPlay in play in the car.
  • Reply 36 of 65

These politically correct bastard emoji are a perfect representation of the new Apple regime.

Cook fiddles while Rome's battery runs down.

• Reply 37 of 65
    Maybe a new black emoji where someone has their pants hanging down past their ass cheeks? Or a thug attacking a cop and getting shot? I'm sorry but emoji are not representative of any yellow people in this world.
  • Reply 38 of 65
    cali wrote: »
    OUTRAGE!!!!!¡

WHY AREN'T BISEXUALS REPRESENTED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ichi!!!!!!

Don't forget the Mormons. They are are gonna be pissed!
  • Reply 39 of 65

Funny how the people who are yelling loudly about how they "don't care" and this is a "waste of time" and seem so irate... I am purely guessing most if not all of you are Caucasian. Meanwhile, I am African-American, and it does bother me. When I send text messages to friends I often include a pre-existing Euro man or woman cuz: 1) I think it's funny since they don't have any people of any shades of brown; 2) to point out the fact they don't have any people with any shade of brown. I would welcome some diversity, something that closer represents me and most of my friends and family, and I'm sure many Asians and others feel the same.

Very easy not to care and yell waste of time and seem bothered by something when you are part of the group that is already included, benefiting, and represented about something.

• Reply 40 of 65
    1) Have you encountered that issue? I think it's kind of funny when I do it.

2) I find that feature very helpful whilst driving but I'd really like that to be a steering wheel option so I can keep both hands on the wheel. Unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen, even with CarPlay in play in the car.

I want "Hey Siri" to let me send audio messages. Perhaps they are waiting on voice print ID to make sure it's me requesting it.