Unicode consortium looks to bring ethnic diversity to emoji by mid-2015

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    Funny how the people who are yelling loudly about how they "don't care" and this is a "waste of time" and seem so irate... I am purely guessing most if not all of you are Caucasian. Meanwhile, I am African-American, and it does bother me. When I send text messages to friends I often include a pre-existing Euro man or woman cuz: 1) I think it's funny since they don't have any people of any shades of brown; 2) to point out the fact they don't have any people with any shade of brown. I would welcome some diversity, something that closer represents me and most of my friends and family, and I'm sure many Asians and others feel the same.

Very easy not to care and yell waste of time and seem bothered by something when you are part of the group that is already included, benefiting, and represented about something.

Virtually everyone uses the standard yellow geezers. What you refer to aren't proper emoji; they're just little cartoon pics. The whole point about the round yellow cretins is that they represent an emotion, not a race.

Trying to be 'diverse' is a load of pc codswallop and is all about Cook's politicisation of Apple. The vacuum created by the lack of the next iPhone is being filled by vapid posturing. I can't say I'm looking forward to another eight years of this.
  • Reply 42 of 65
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    crowley wrote: »

I think those graphics look really bad, like clipart. Surely Apple could get someone to design really cool looking emoji like this idea:

Microsoft did their ones as vectors vs png, which helps with scaling:

http://opentype.info/blog/2013/07/03/color-emoji-in-windows-8-1-the-future-of-color-fonts/

This limits what you can draw but it's not such a big deal with emoji. Microsoft's set looks bad too.

I also think something needs to be done about this:

http://emojipedia.org/pile-of-poo/

Did that really need an emoji? They can come up with something to make it not seem so explicit (without wavy steam lines):

Maybe just make it cuter. Right now, it's more of a smug looking poop like it's trying to get your attention.

• Reply 43 of 65
    Ridiculous
  • Reply 44 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So make the people yellow. Problem solved. No whining from anyone. That’s also not a valid logical string, but whatever.

You know people better than that, people will still whine.  No male-male, female-female emoji?  No mother-mother-child, no father-father-child.  no Asian, no Indian, no Jewish, no Muslim, no XMas tree, no Hanukkah, no breast cancer symbol, no heart disease symbol, no Lupus logo.  It will NEVER end.

• Reply 45 of 65
    It's not anyone's duty to decide whether or not it ought to offend someone else. We are all entitled to our feelings. It's not appropriate to make the claim diversifying emojis is a non issue. Clearly it is, so accept that some it's important and thus if you have nothing constructive to add to the debate stand clear so reform can, in some small way, improve people's experiences with emojis. It's perfectly reasonable to imagine a scenario where someone outside of the democratic represented in emoji could find the proposed inclusion of diverse emojis helpful in their day-to-day communications. Taking it a step further, I can imagine someone also feeling a sense of inclusion when they discover they're community is represented in some small way. It feels nice when you're apart of something. So stop with the soft bigotry. Improving communication at any level is an incredible innovation, especially if it involves such an easy change to emojicons. And please don't feed me your slippery slope fallacies. Be an adult. Stand up for positive change.
    [@]Tallest Skil[/@][@]globalpix[/@][@]TheWhiteFalcon[/@][@]Slurpy[/@][@]RedHotFuzz[/@][@]tyler82[/@][@]ebrainer1[/@][@]cali[/@][@]Benjamin Frost[/@][@]monstrosity[/@][@]techguy911[/@]
  • Reply 46 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

It's a known fact that Apple only have one developer, who is incapable of multitasking.

From London, what a surprise. Get off your PC high horse, and get over it. People like you cause more racism than you think you solve.

• Reply 47 of 65
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    techguy911 wrote: »
    You know people better than that, people will still whine.  No male-male, female-female emoji?  No mother-mother-child, no father-father-child.  no Asian, no Indian, no Jewish, no Muslim, no XMas tree, no Hanukkah, no breast cancer symbol, no heart disease symbol, no Lupus logo.  It will NEVER end.

You left out Movember emoji. I need a set that tracks the stach growth. Oh, the grey tones too..

http://us.movember.com
  • Reply 48 of 65
    christophb wrote: »
    techguy911 wrote: »

You left out Movember emoji. I need a set that tracks the stach growth. Oh, the grey tones too..

http://us.movember.com

Not to mention people that possess four limbs, a neck and a body.
  • Reply 49 of 65
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Not to mention people that possess four limbs, a neck and a body.

Hater!
  • Reply 50 of 65
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I'd just as soon be smitten by ebola rather than partake in the ugly disease known as political correctness.

Political correctness can kiss my ass.

• Reply 51 of 65
    People like you...
    That's exactly how many bigots begin their sentences.

I'm sure you and I know exactly what kind of a person Crowley must be. #sarcasm
  • Reply 52 of 65

We're all different! = 8-). How could anyone want to deny us the ability to express ourselves in a more nuanced way within a richer and more diverse emojiverse?

Seems small minded ... or worse!

• Reply 53 of 65
    Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

It will NEVER end.

Which is why my belief is that they should just shut up and do absolutely nothing to it. People WILL give up on whining if they are ignored long enough.

Originally Posted by ro4u2 View Post

Seems small minded ... or worse!

Seems ‘come off it already’ to me.

• Reply 54 of 65

Oh boo hoo!  You people act so threatened as though Political Correctness will destroy your exclusive gated community, where you can be the only ideal culture or something.  To me, the USA isn't about that.  

• Reply 55 of 65
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    crowley wrote: »
    Care enough to post, dontcha?

I wonder what race those calling bullshit are.  I imagine it's going to be quite consistent.

Honestly I don't even use the emoji, but I think the skin tone is a good idea, but is stinks of feature creep. What will they add next, emoji for all the Karma Sutra, and then gay versions? Gay versions of different skin colors...

Like good gawd, it's supposed to just quickly express something in the space of one or two letters, not try to define the entire spectrum of human emotion, race and skin in the same space.

When we discover aliens or robots gain sentience are we going to also expand it then to include them too? That's the problem.
  • Reply 56 of 65
    Originally Posted by Misa View Post

When we discover aliens or robots gain sentience are we going to also expand it then to include them too? That's the problem.

NO. I will fight the idiots who believe this garbage to my last breath. Machines and non-humans will NEVER receive the same rights as us.

• Reply 57 of 65
    diegogdiegog Posts: 135member
    This wasn't about Apple deciding which Emoji's will be coming out, this was the Unicode Consortium. Nothing to do with Apple. Learn to read and take your hate elsewhere.
    Virtually everyone uses the standard yellow geezers. What you refer to aren't proper emoji; they're just little cartoon pics. The whole point about the round yellow cretins is that they represent an emotion, not a race.

Trying to be 'diverse' is a load of pc codswallop and is all about Cook's politicisation of Apple. The vacuum created by the lack of the next iPhone is being filled by vapid posturing. I can't say I'm looking forward to another eight years of this.
  • Reply 58 of 65
    I'm digressing here, but while we're on the subject, sort of, of being pc, does anyone else slightly cringe about the name of this site, everytime they see it, it's kinda Pervy, I guess!????
  • Reply 59 of 65
    hngfrhngfr Posts: 72member
    So i guess we can now expect people of different ethnic diversity (whatever thats supposed to mean) to come forward and claim to be proud they are as such ?
  • Reply 60 of 65
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Amazing how sensitive of a topic race is, and how everyone just knows best. Yes there are people who want to be represented in their color, their race, etc. but this goes beyond skin color. What about eye color, hair color, height, weight, weather they look Chinese, Korean, Japanese. All of these people have different features. Just like all latinos have different features depending on which country they are from ( no they all don't look mexican) and all black people don't look the same either. Remember that people are shape by their environment. Well my point is that you can never be "politically correct" and when ever you try you will make some people angry either because they don't care and think is a waste of time or they just care too much! So take it easy people! Be happy and let others be happy too. Have a good day