Rumor: Faulty flash memory in select iPhone 6 & 6 Plus units prompts Apple to make switch [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Apple is doomed following the route of big corporations.
  • Reply 42 of 92
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

WTF happened to this thread?

Is that a rhetorical question (because I think it's obvious what happened)? ;) 

• Reply 43 of 92
    I have a IP6 16g and yesterday it started to reboot itself over and over. I had to take it to service (company phone). Service company gave today a new 6, but they had a catch. It was not aluminium body but plastic body. Very well made copy. I noticed it quite after I got home, but found it hard to believe. Then after few hours, the display started to come off. So that was the final proof of a made copy. I am so f...king mad at this company. Can't believe they do this. Well, on Monday they will have some embarrasing moments and hopefully I will get a REAL iPhone this time. But, the rebooting issue was clearly there.
  • Reply 44 of 92
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I have a small issue with my new iPad Air 2!

I'm wondering if it is related to this iPhone issue.

I'll probably take my iPad into the Apple store eventually and maybe get a new one.

I have the 128 GB model, I've had it since day one.

I've noticed that it has rebooted on me at least twice now in the time period that I've had it.

It's not because I have too many apps, because I still have about 94 GB worth of free space on my device.

I wouldn't say that two random reboots in the time period that I've owned it is a big problem, but nonetheless, I want a perfect unit, so maybe next week I'll pay a little visit to the Apple store.

You're talking about a total hardware reboot, where the system has to completely load back in from a black screen, right? Not just everything quitting and returning to Home, I'm assuming.
  • Reply 45 of 92
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

You're talking about a total hardware reboot, where the system has to completely load back in from a black screen, right? Not just everything quitting and returning to Home, I'm assuming.

Yes. The last time it happened was a couple of days ago.

I was on the home screen with icons and I wasn't even doing anything, and all of a sudden I saw the display go to black, and the Apple logo shows up, indicating that it's rebooting.

• Reply 46 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

He probably shouldn't sit on it then. I don't get people that stick anything but tools in their back pocket (and that should be for short term holding). I used to get people's credit cards when I worked retail that were curved from being in their wallet, which they kept in their back pocket. Half the time they didn't even work. The owner was usually oblivious to that fact though. 

My 3 year old 4S has spent countless hours in the back pockets of jeans and khaki's, as my wallet has.  Each moves to the outside and there's never a problem with either.

Actually the hard-edges of the phone and rubbing on seats actually wears the PANTs out, not the phone.  I learned that through a generation of pants that were kind-of ruined, and now I try front pocket, and just slide to the side.

Wow.  A whole post about Pants.   What is this the Lego-Movie?

Oops.

• Reply 47 of 92
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

This story is already past it's sell-by date, so AI, late to the game as usual, has to make do with sloppy seconds for its hit-whoring.

http://************/2014/11/04/debunk-128gb-iphone-6-plus-recall-false-crashing-bug-rare/

Meanwhile, the marginally better sites have already moved on.

Shame really. I remember when this site used to get real scoops. 

Oh, and the scrubbed bit from the URL is 'ninetofivemacdotcom'

One other thing: If you slim that main column on the front page to one character wide, you'll have even more room for adverts,

• Reply 47 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Yes. The last time it happened was a couple of days ago.

I was on the home screen with icons and I wasn't even doing anything, and all of a sudden I saw the display go to black, and the Apple logo shows up, indicating that it's rebooting.

I have something similar that happens when I try to make an in-App purchase in a game called Bike Race TFG. The screen goes black, I see the white Apple logo, and after a few seconds, I'm back at a locked home screen. I'm honestly not concerned about my issue, as it has only ever happened in that one specific situation. I've got a 128GB iPhone 6 by the way.

• Reply 49 of 92
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I have something similar that happens when I try to make an in-App purchase in a game called Bike Race TFG. The screen goes black, I see the white Apple logo, and after a few seconds, I'm back at a locked home screen. I'm honestly not concerned about my issue, as it has only ever happened in that one specific situation. I've got a 128GB iPhone 6 by the way.

It's not a huge issue for me either, but the geek in me has found out that there are different kinds of Nand that they might use, with one type being faster than the other, and since I use my device for a lot of storage intensive tasks, I would like the fastest possible read and write speeds on my device.

• Reply 50 of 92
    My 64gb iPhone6 seems to be working fine. No issues that I'm aware of. Now, my wifi connections (whether it's my home Linksys router or my Time-Warner internet provider) - that's another issue.
  • Reply 51 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It's not a huge issue for me either, but the geek in me has found out that there are different kinds of Nand that they might use, with one type being faster than the other, and since I use my device for a lot of storage intensive tasks, I would like the fastest possible read and write speeds on my device.

I just tried an in-app purchase from another app, and everything worked properly. Looks like my issue is app-related.

• Reply 52 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

You seem overjoyed. Understandable, since I'm sure you were beginning to question your prowess as a keen observer, being almost alone here in your bent fetish. What happened to your only pal pazuzu, by the way?

Well, most of us realize that these things can bend, and that some people are going to bend them.

It's hardly over, at any rate:

• Reply 53 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Well, most of us realize that these things can bend, and that some people are going to bend them.

I would love to know what some people are doing to some of the iPhones in that video. Seriously, some of them have what I can only describe as a zig-zag bend. If the iPhone 6 Plus can withstand 90 lbs. or force before bending, how much force does it require to create a compound bend in the thing? (No need to answer as I'm sure it's more than 90 lbs. of force.)

• Reply 54 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I would love to know what some people are doing to some of the iPhones in that video. Seriously, some of them have what I can only describe as a zig-zag bend. If the iPhone 6 Plus can withstand 90 lbs. or force before bending, how much force does it require to create a compound bend in the thing? (No need to answer as I'm sure it's more than 90 lbs. of force.)

When you get out into the wild, there are users who could fark up an anvil using it as a drink coaster. There are plenty of smart iPhone users, but then...

• Reply 55 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

When you get out into the wild, there are users who could fark up an anvil using it as a drink coaster. There are plenty of smart iPhone users, but then...

Lol! Like this one. It's bent by the mute switch. HTF?

Anyway, I don't want to further derail the thread, so back to our regularly scheduled programming.

• Reply 56 of 92

Well, at least that one is on :)

Dude probably used it as a spacer so his car bumper doesn't get too close to the garage wall.

• Reply 57 of 92

That said, the flyover states have a lot of overweight mouth breathers who probably shouldn't be stuffing these things into their pants pockets.

• Reply 58 of 92
    Edit

• Reply 59 of 92

ugh

• Reply 60 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

The easy way to bypass this issue is to replace one of the characters in domain name with a unicode character.

I think replacing the period before com works best because it retains are the letters and numbers. To make this easy I have created a keyboard shortcut in iOS/OS X that does this for me.

"Work smarter, not harder." — Scrooge McDuck

Constantly reboots -and- bends in your pocket? Constantly? You sound like those people that complained about the iPhone 4 never being able to make a call for 3.25 years simply being touched. WTH happened to you?

There are no more risks with the npn-S-generation than with the S-generation. The only think that seems to remain constant is the general look and external dimensions, which is probably done for case makers. The internals are all changed up. Even the mount points for the logic board are different. In fact, it's easier to argue that it could be more difficult for Apple to make the S-generation because they work within the confines of the previous generation's dimensions, whereas the non-S-generation has the potential freedom of having the external design change to meet the needs of the internals.

Did you use the video of the iPad Air 2 that bent?

Would you carry it in your front pocket if you knew it choose not to be straight? /joke

I think he got confused by my name change. He went so far as to leave him a reminder in his own signature.

It's probably the same NAND, or whatever other component is causing the issue. Perhaps they can resolve it with an iOS update, but 8.1.1 doesn't do it or it gets too annoying I would take it. You might be helped by getting less of a runaround if you write down every time it's done a reboot, and what you were doing at the time.

You're not even trying. image

WTF happened to this thread?

too many around here ended up buying AAPL and now they are upset because they are making a fraction of what they expected. :) or just loosing