President Obama pushes FCC to classify Internet as public utility, protect net neutrality

Comments

• Reply 201 of 304
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Do you believe the government is made of angels with your best interests in mind because they offer you free candy? You and those cartoonists fail to understand some elementary things about human behavior, self-interest and the dangers of giving politicians the keys to the Porsche. There is a trade-off for everything. There are no freebies.

Jesus Christ, candy and angles?   You're not that dense are you? 

• Reply 202 of 304
    solipsismy wrote: »
    QFT

Seriously, which carriers do you think are even thinking about deep packet inspection to engineer your experience, hide content and direct your thoughts? This is area 51 shit.
  • Reply 203 of 304
    christophb wrote: »
    Seriously, which carriers do you think are even thinking about deep packet inspection to engineer your experience, hide content and direct your thoughts? This is area 51 shit.

How about the ones that have been doing it already?
  • Reply 204 of 304
    How about the ones that have been doing it already?

The ones in your mind.
  • Reply 205 of 304
    The ones in your mind.

Yep, all in my imagination.
  • Reply 206 of 304

Jesus Christ, candy and angles?   You're not that dense are you? 

He's a fundamentalist Lassie Faire Ideologue. Vacuous is a more appropriate term.
  • Reply 207 of 304
    Yeo, all in my imagination.

So MLB, PSN, Activision, NFL, Blizzard, and more have to suffer cause Netflix drops more packets on comcast than their peering points with Verizon, AT&T, SPRINT and others can maintain? They were crushing latency sensitive stuff. This level of willful ignorance is shocking to me.

P.S. So again, where is the deep packet inspection that you QFT'd? Shaping on an IP block is so 1995.
  • Reply 208 of 304
    Obvious auto-Obama-hate responses are obvious.

Yes, the FCC is corrupt too, but I've been wanting to see Internet access considered a utility for years now.
  • Reply 209 of 304
    So MLB, PSN, Activision, NFL, Blizzard, and more have to suffer cause Netflix drops more packets on comcast than their peering points with Verizon, AT&T, SPRINT and others can maintain? They were crushing latency sensitive stuff. This level of willful ignorance is shocking to me.

P.S. So again, where is the deep packet inspection that you QFT'd? Shaping on an IP block is so 1995.

You comment doesn't even make sense, so I have no starting point in which to respond, so I'll just reiterate this: Good luck having what you want not available because you were against an open and free internet.
  • Reply 210 of 304
    dysamoria wrote: »
    Obvious auto-Obama-hate responses are obvious.

Yes, the FCC is corrupt too, but I've been wanting to see Internet access considered a utility for years now.

/s

Only great thing the FCC has done has done was fine CBS for fooling me into seeing JJ's booby. Funny that JT is now doing Apple ads. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!
  • Reply 211 of 304
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

Of all the idiotic comments posted by all the ignorati on all the threads ever appearing on AppleInsider, these have to be the looniest!

Back to basics: Obama is not the issue here. Government is not the issue here. The anticompetitive and discriminatory behavior of the ISPs in ways that screw over consumers like you and me IS the issue here.

Does anybody really understand what net neutrality is and how the FCC has screwed up the subject so far in its rule making?

Do you realize that one of the biggest defenders of Internet users' freedoms - the Electronic Frontier Foundation - SUPPORTS Obama's announcement today?

DO YOU WANT TO KNOW WHY? READ WHAT THE EFF HAS TO SAY AND QUIT TALKING OUT OF YOUR RECTUMS!

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/11/white-house-gets-it-net-neutrality-will-fcc-0

• Reply 212 of 304
    You comment doesn't even make sense, so I have no starting point in which to respond, so I'll just reiterate this: Good luck having what you want not available because you were against an open and free internet.

My bad - yours is not willful ignorance. Me, I won't move to your BFE so I'll settle for the choice of GigE from Google or gig from AT&T or Time Warner trying to catch up. Wait, some might call that competition.

Crazy that "free" now means T1 providers dropping $60b in capital a year to try to keep current.
  • Reply 213 of 304
    My bad - yours is not willful ignorance. Me, I won't move to your BFE so I'll settle for the choice of GigE from Google or gig from AT&T or Time Warner trying to catch up. Wait, some might call that competition.

Crazy that "free" now means T1 providers dropping $60b in capital a year to try to keep current.

And how many households in the US have a choice between wired ISPs to their home?
  • Reply 214 of 304
    And how many households in the US have a choice between wired ISPs to their home?

I'd guess 90%. 300,000,000/303,000,000 isn't bad. AND talk to your local PUC!! You choose to live in nowhere and expect the same access as the people who choose to live in somewhere? Hey somewhere people, prepare to get your access cost increase to pay for nowhere-man.

P.S. Strange how Internet has morphed into a right. What hasn't hasnt the NYT bought into this and starting giving away ad free?
  • Reply 215 of 304
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    jungmark wrote: »
    1. It's a joke. I guess I didn't run it by the PC police too. 2. Where did you get your numbers? 3. Let's not rehash it. Intelligence was there. It was wrong. British had their own Intel. The CIA dir said it was a slam dunk.

The "intelligence" was deliberately faked. Read what David Rose had to say about it a few years after he was duped by MI whatever.

The director was part of the operation to make you, as an American citizen, complicit in one of modern history's greatest crimes, an invasion and occupation and war that is still going on. But "let's not rehash it." Moral and intellectual cowardice, the hallmark of American neocon policy which still guides Republican "thinking."

Unless you and they admit you were deliberately duped, you are hollow men.

You want to quibble over how many thousands have died?
  • Reply 216 of 304
    I'd guess […] You choose to live in nowhere...

1) You're guessing. Let me know when you have numbers that say what percentage of the US population have access to at least 2 options for a truly competitive cable and internet service to their home.

2) You're also making an ridlciulous assumption I live nowhere? I can assure you I live somewhere, that it's a populated city, and that that somewhere has only one cable and internet provider.
  • Reply 217 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Monopolies can only exist because of government regulations and/or protections. In a free and competitive market, monopolies cannot stand because they are continually facing competitors to flatten costs and offer consumers alternatives.

Why was the AT&T of many years ago a monopoly? Because they were protected by law.

"For much of its history, AT&T and its Bell System functioned as a legally sanctioned, regulated monopoly. The fundamental principle, formulated by AT&T president Theodore Vail in 1907, was that the telephone by the nature of its technology would operate most efficiently as a monopoly providing universal service. Vail wrote in that year's AT&T Annual Report that government regulation, "provided it is independent, intelligent, considerate, thorough and just," was an appropriate and acceptable substitute for the competitive marketplace."

http://www.corp.att.com/history/history3.html

That this fact is lost on so many people, is a testament to the power of US government propaganda that has been fed to people since birth. And contrary to AT&T's rosy view on the "good" of monopolies, they are not good. They are inherently corrupt. Competition is good.

You read one article, one excerpt, one blurb, and suddenly you think you're an expert on the subject.  Right off the bat your opening paragraph is already wrong  then you compound it by using a corporate PR hack job to back it up.  Read a little about this thing called "natural monopoly" which is an industry where the minimum economic scale of production is so large that there is room only for one firm.  Utilities are typically natural monopolies because it is a waste of resources to install and maintain two or more sets of pipes or wires to the same neighborhoods.

By the way a free market is not the same as a competitive market.  Standard Oil operated in a free market with hardly any regulation, but it wasn't anything close to a competitive market.  (Do you even know the definition of  "competitive market"?) Was the Standard Oil monopoly caused by government regulation and protection?  Was the US Steel monopoly caused by government regulation and protection?  Free markets do not guarantee competitive markets.  All your knowledge about monopolies seem to come from published apologies for monopolists.

You obviously know very little about monopolies, so please stop pretending to be an expert.

• Reply 218 of 304
    1) You're guessing. Let me know when you have numbers that say what percentage of the US population have access to at least 2 options for a truly competitive cable and internet service to their home.

2) You're also making an ridlciulous assumption I live nowhere? I can assure you I live somewhere, that it's a populated city, and that that somewhere has only one cable and internet provider.

1) You asked me the question and I'm not permitted to tell you where my guess comes from . Why don't you provide facts that show how many households don't have choice. AGAIN, that's a last mile issue; talk to the local government who makes those contracts.

2) You've demonstrated that you have no clue how things work between peers and providers. Can't tell if you're being obtuse or otherwise disingenuous but it's safe to say I am done. I see,daily, how Netflix has become the largest source of bps onto a backbone that feeds the world. What can you imagine happens when provider X (who is getting PAID) has 10:1 in:out ratio on a free link to 4 other backbones, Open you wifi to your subdivision; drag back haul and wifi access to neighbors have low signal; drag copper or fiber to the rest - see what your neighborhood association thinks of that much less how your city, county, state & State react.
  • Reply 219 of 304
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

P.S. Strange how Internet has morphed into a right. What hasn't hasnt the NYT bought into this and starting giving away ad free?

When government delivers its services through the internet, then yes internet becomes a right.  

When no access to the internet significantly impairs your ability to a.) avail yourself of public services and b.) perform your obligations as a citizen, then yes internet becomes a right.

• Reply 220 of 304
    tundraboy wrote: »
    When government delivers its services through the internet, then yes internet becomes a right.  

When no access to the internet significantly impairs your ability to a.) avail yourself of public services and b.) perform your obligations as a citizen, then yes internet becomes a right.

No one has the right to my labor but me. What happens when It is declared that I have the right to the product of your work? I do like the McRib. I'll be by tomorrow to exercise my rights.