DOJ reportedly spies on mobile phone owners using fake airplane-mounted cell towers

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

Most email is now encrypted too.

Umm... I don't think so.

• Reply 42 of 52
    On the one hand, we don't want anyone in or out of government to be tracking us in any way. On the other hand, we want to be kept safe from evil doers and we want those evil doers to be caught and punished if we are victimized by them.
    How can we get a good mix of the two?
  • Reply 43 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lowney View Post

On the one hand, we don't want anyone in or out of government to be tracking us in any way. On the other hand, we want to be kept safe from evil doers and we want those evil doers to be caught and punished if we are victimized by them.

A good starting point would be to lock criminals up for a just period of time, rather than giving them lenient sentences. Every criminal needs to be made an example of, as a deterrent to others.

• Reply 44 of 52
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Crime across the country is down. Enough so that prisons are be closed. How is it that surveillance is up? They should try some good old fashioned police work that sufficed until recently.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    pooch wrote: »
    says the guy with eleventy-billion cctv cameras pointed at him right now? (i'm not disagreeing with your statement, mind you ... just pointing out a tad bit of irony. i never feel more watched or invaded than when i visit london.)

"England" ... The reality show.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    techlover wrote: »
    It's too bad DED didn't write this story. He would be able to do the mental gymnastics in order to find a way to pin this on google and samsung.

sounds like you're lost...
  • Reply 47 of 52
    wood1208 wrote: »
    I have no problem for national security DOJ gathering/listening my cell call. Only, problem is those in charge of dissecting such info are human/people. None can know who among them are kind bad cops who can either exploit such info against you or pass such info for money to someone to use against you directly or indirectly. NSA does similar thing. Scary.

then you should have a problem with the govt listening to your calls.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Encryption will not prevent these boxes from uniquely identifying your device and your location within just a few meters. As I read it that's the goal of the program, not harvesting photos or reading text messages. It's meant to help locate persons of interest.

True, but AI did say they were scraping texts and photos, and that "no level of encryption will" help. But encryption of the IP layer would stop a fake cell tower from easily reading IP-based data.
    Neither Apple nor Google store the private encryption keys so neither would be able to comply with a subpoena demanding access, a bone of contention for law enforcement and national security interests.

Ah good.
    linkman wrote: »
    Umm... I don't think so.

What makes you think that? iCloud email between servers and between client and server is encrypted. Most other email services require client to server encryption too. So again, sniffing IP data is useless.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    elijahg wrote: »
    What makes you think that? iCloud email between servers and between client and server is encrypted. Most other email services require client to server encryption too. So again, sniffing IP data is useless.

There's an additional weakness here which you may not have considered. It's come to light in the past month that some ISP's are stripping out a security flag called STARTTLS. In effect they're removing encryption for some customers as messages move between servers. Messages become plain text and easily intercepted and read. For what reason would they do this? No idea but it smells like another man-in-the-middle mission.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    gatorguy wrote: »
    There's an additional weakness here which you may not have considered. It's come to light in the past month that some ISP's are stripping out a security flag called STARTTLS. In effect they're removing encryption for some customers as messages move between servers. Messages become plain text and easily intercepted and read. For what reason would they do this? No idea but it smells like another man-in-the-middle mission.

Do you have a link to a story on this?
  • Reply 51 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
  • Reply 52 of 52
    at least they have some level of privacy safeguards in place...