Current tablet sales growth being driven by sub-$250 devices, IDC says

Comments

• Reply 41 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

When the nicest thing you can say about the HP tablet is that it comes with a crippled rented version of Office, that speaks volumes about it.

A year from now, if it's still being used, it will spend it's days tethered to the charger.

With Apple it's not just the hardware or the software... it comes with a world-class ecosystem, customer service, and app store for free!

The hardware is important too. 2012 Nexus 7 owners can attest to that, that tablet had cheap everything, but especially the NAND, which was so cheap it's been failing in all of them. So their two year old devices are slow as crap. One minute boot time with Lollipop.

• Reply 42 of 105
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    kpluck wrote: »
    I just noticed HP has rolled out some new Windows 8.1 tablets called the Stream 7 and the Stream 8 for $100/$150. They definitely are targeted to the low end of the market but they are most definitely not "pure trash".

The interesting thing about these tablets is that they both come with 1 year of Office 365 Personal which would run at least $70 if purchased alone.
    -kpluck
    Microsoft in their infinite wisdom has made Office 365 absolutely free now for iOS and Android. Those who paid for an annual subscription prior to this month are reportedly slated for refunds.
    http://fortune.com/2014/11/06/microsofts-office-365-mobile-apps-are-now-free-for-everybody/
  • Reply 43 of 105

The hardware is important too. 2012 Nexus 7 owners can attest to that, that tablet had cheap everything, but especially the NAND, which was so cheap it's been failing in all of them. So their two year old devices are slow as crap. One minute boot time with Lollipop.

You need to go back and have a look again. DED was wrong tho I don't recall him ever noting so. NAND was not a problem. It was software related and addressed in a point update to Android 4.1.

EDIT: And yes DED noted his mistaken assumption that NAND was the problem. Kudos.
  • Reply 44 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You need to go back and have a look again. DED was wrong tho I don't recall him ever noting so. NAND was not a problem.

I don't need to have a look again: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/11/lollipop-on-the-2012-nexus-7-not-great-but-not-much-worse/

Had nothing to do with DED.

• Reply 45 of 105
    foggyhill wrote: »

Most of those cheap tablets are pure trash that are barely useable in their primary function... No wonder Tablet sales are going down with such bad PR. Yes, I have seen some of those unfortunate "tablets".

I've often worried/wondered about that. How many people have bought a tablet, usually some Android powered pile of garbage, and then say "I don't get the point of tablets, they're dumb".

Yeah, I got one of those tablet things. It was terrible and worthless.
    I'm sure glad I didn't blow a lot of money on it like one of those Apple iPads.
    ;)
  • Reply 46 of 105
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Sadly, yes. It's always a shame to see the wreck that the SS Sony is today. I think Hirai will be able to stop the ship from sinking (though their latest financial report showed them making a profit in all sectors apart from smartphones (a race they should just exit).

I looked at the Kobo devices, but the Aura HD felt a wee bit cheap to me. The H2O is supposed to be pretty good...it's just the matter of them being Canadian based, it's hard to buy their stuff in the US for some reason. :/ That being said, my Sony book library is tied to them now.

I would get a Kindle...I just hate what Amazon tried to do to Hatchett.

This is why I wish Apple would (I know they won't) make an eInk reader, I've always preferred that over a LCD screen, and I have quite a few books in iBooks.

These days, because my Reader is too old to be used with the Kobo books, I just use it for Gutenberg titles, plus the ones I had on the device when they canned the Reader Store.

Still losing money on the smartphone market? I thought they would be profitable there. They have some really good phones. Do they lump tablet profits too with that?

They are shit on software Kobo, they release (or did at least 3 months ago that I last checked) incredibly buggy software. The Aura HD is a good device, it might look plasticky and flimsy but it has a great screen and a really good size, twas better than the pw until the voyage. I expect them to release an 8" reader soon, that is in the coming few months, if they have any sense that is, not voyage ppi, but close. In terms of buying their stuff, it's simple to just get it off amazon and de-drm it to epub. I de-drm them anyway because I want to use calibre to manage the library, and because I want to save them as pdfs too. (it has become legal too in the uk, for your personal use of course, as it should be).

In terms of Hachette, I am really on Amazon's side there, I am afraid, not in the tactics war, but in what they are saying. I really think big publishers have made enough money already and amazon have some really enlightened policies when it comes to self publishing. You know, if you lose the agent, most of which are filthy rich anyway, the pr machine for the publishers, etc. etc. the little guy here, which is the person doing all the hard work, the author that is, can make something for themselves without having to go through the publishing establishment and getting crashed in there.

I am not saying the publishers don't have a place, but the days were they would get someone to be a literary star based on a network of newspaper contacts and agent games, they should realise, are long gone. Most of my supposed literary heroes of old where just brand names and nothing more I 've come to realise. Power to the people then to choose what they want. Amazon has a programme for that and it's two weeks out. 

My opinion is that iBooks, should be iBooks and not focus so much on text, you can do so many things with them, and iBooks Author is a stellar piece of software. Really this should be an impetus to innovate and cut down on the filler which, let's face it, is rampant in any book, and re-think the book as an ibook. 

• Reply 47 of 105

Umm, yeah apparently you do need to go back and look again if you think "the NAND, which was so cheap it's been failing in all of them" is an actual issue.
  • Reply 48 of 105
    shsf wrote: »
    In terms of Hachette, I am really on their side their, I am afraid, not in the tactics war, but in what they are saying. I really think big publishers have made enough money already and amazon have some really enlightened policies when it comes to self publishing.

I don't think it's been mentioned here yet that Hachette and Amazon have settled their differences and sales have resumed.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/13/us-amazon-hachette-idUSKCN0IX26220141113
  • Reply 49 of 105
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member
    Quote:

I don't think it's been mentioned here yet that Hachette and Amazon have settled their differences and sales have resumed.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/13/us-amazon-hachette-idUSKCN0IX26220141113

Yeah, I read about too, today as I am watching this space.

• Reply 50 of 105
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

Where in that doc does Apple break out tablet profits? Answer: they don't. It's entirely conceivable that Apple's tablet profits have plunged, buoyed by great returns on iPhones and to a lesser degree Macs and services. There's not been a single recent article indicating Apple is enjoying increased profitability this year from their iPad's that I can recall. Can you? On the contrary even Tim Cook has felt the need to discuss the apparent sales lag/reduced demand.

Apple doesn't. And it's highly unlikely to that that you're over your profit growth was driven by iPads. The only reason the original mini still exists is to hit a specific price point, though I think it will be gone within six months. The mini 2 is a much superior product. Of course the marketing department knows having the mini 1 in the line up makes it easier to upsell people to the mini 2. They can say for only $50 more you get a retina screen and much better processor. Plus the mini 2 will certainly get iOS 9. I won't be surprised at all if within six months the regional mini is axed and the mini 2's price drops to $249. And if the mini 3 doesn't get A8 then I think the bean counters and marketing decided to retire the mini in favor of the more profitable 5.5" iPhone.

• Reply 51 of 105
    rogifan wrote: »
    Apple doesn't. And it's highly unlikely to that that you're over your profit growth was driven by iPads. The only reason the original mini still exists is to hit a specific price point, though I think it will be gone within six months. The mini 2 is a much superior product. Of course the marketing department knows having the mini 1 in the line up makes it easier to upsell people to the mini 2. They can say for only $50 more you get a retina screen and much better processor. Plus the mini 2 will certainly get iOS 9. I won't be surprised at all if within six months the regional mini is axed and the mini 2's price drops to $249. And if the mini 3 doesn't get A8 then I think the bean counters and marketing decided to retire the mini in favor of the more profitable 5.5" iPhone.

I agree. The original iPad Mini is on the way out. Unlike you tho I won't be shocked if the Mini disappears altogether with the next model updates.
  • Reply 52 of 105
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    A Kindle Voyage it is for me on Blak Friday- the best ereader on the market - bar none.
  • Reply 53 of 105
    pfisher wrote: »
    Point is, a lot of people (more than 1%) looking for an auxiliary internet device under $300, are going to look see an iPad and see a cheaper non-Apple device, whether Windows, Chrome, or other tablets.

That explains the market share pointing toward cheaper (non-Apple) tablets.

"Auxiliary Internet device"?
    Mobile Safari is the lion's share of mobile web traffic. If people are buying these oh so cheap devices, they aren't using them for Internet.
  • Reply 54 of 105
    pazuzu wrote: »
    A Kindle Voyage it is for me on Blak Friday- the best ereader on the market - bar none.

The keyboards suck but it is a terrific eReader.
  • Reply 55 of 105
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Manufacturers (besides Apple):

IDC: (and analysts):

Consumers (pre Apple):

Apple:

Consumers (post Apple):

Finally a chance to post this. Look how pretty it is, and it’s only a GIF! Wish APNG would get standardized already.

• Reply 56 of 105
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    kpluck wrote: »
    I just noticed HP has rolled out some new Windows 8.1 tablets called the Stream 7 and the Stream 8 for $100/$150. They definitely are targeted to the low end of the market but they are most definitely not "pure trash".

Does the Stream support Flow?
  • Reply 57 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I agree.  Apple has always been about not only making the best product but providing the best user experience which is why I'm surprised the iPad mini stuck around.  Having a non-retina display and an A5 SoC hardly provides a great user experience when running iOS 8.  

• Reply 58 of 105
    dachar wrote: »
    It would be interesting to know what the average replacement period is for someone who owns both an iPad and an iPhone. I have an iPad 4 and iPhone 5. I am keen to replace my iPhone next May when my 2 year contract ends as I can see the added value of an iPhone 6. For my iPad, having tried out the new Air and Mini, neither felt compelling enough to seek an upgrade.

I completely agree. We need to see when people actually upgrade, besides the statistical far flung from this site that buy every iteration.

I have the 5S and the iPad Air. If the phones keep getting bigger I'll have to switch. I gave my iPhone 4 to a friend and I actually want it every time I see it. I was going to keep the iPad for a few years, however it fell (a poltergeists issue certainly) recently and the screen cracked. Not badly, but it bothers me. The orientation lock thing pops up on the screen all the time, which has happened since when I first got it. I may end up with an Air2 soon.

Anyone who argues that the new iPad air is not The Top of The Line has issues. The OS could use a little help though. I have had iPads since launch day of iPad1. I saw so much potential with the software on it. It just keeps being the phone software. Almost like they made the phone OS and said "that's awesome! Oh, wait, can we port this to ...that thing?" Hardware wise you can't get any better. Software wise, and I know they work hard, it's just sad. Hardware wise it's rivaling and put competing laptop and desktop computers. Let us see that in the OS.

God bless!
  • Reply 59 of 105
    canukstorm wrote: »
    I agree.  Apple has always been about not only making the best product but providing the best user experience which is why I'm surprised the iPad mini stuck around.  Having a non-retina display and an A5 SoC hardly provides a great user experience when running iOS 8.  

I don't mean any offence, but you do know that the iPad mini has an A7 processor and a higher pixel density than the iPad Air or Air2 right?

Oh, very sorry! I didn't realise they still sold that. Can I use the word fragmentation without getting banned? Actually, I don't think people here even bring that up any more. I guess it was just a matter of time. ;)
  • Reply 60 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

I don't mean any offence, but you do know that the iPad mini has an A7 processor and a higher pixel density than the iPad Air or Air2 right?

Oh, very sorry! I didn't realise they still sold that. Can I use the word fragmentation without getting banned? Actually, I don't think people here even bring that up any more. I guess it was just a matter of time. image

Should've been more clear.  I was referring to the iPad mini non-retina model, not the iPad mini 2 or 3.