Current tablet sales growth being driven by sub-$250 devices, IDC says

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 105
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Oh lord. Please stay in your lane.

First off iOS7 was a huge upgrade from iOS6. IOS8 is not a huge jump from iOS7 so many have not upgraded yet.

Microsoft is worth $250,000,000,000 less than Apple. So yes Apple is destroying Microsoft in mobile. The only reason Microsoft is doing pretty well is because of there legacy windows and office platforms. And comparing stock percentage gains alone is idiotic. Blackberry is up 50% the last six months but that means jack sh1t. If you cant see Apple dominating Microsoft in mobile you are blind. Apple has 80% of phone profits, 80% of tablet profits, 80% of laptop and desktop profits. How much more dominant can they get? Lol.

Just give it up. Apple is stronger than ever and if you cant see that you are either blind or a troll.

What is this Apple dominating Microsoft in mobile stuff? I'm not talking about who's dominating in mobile. I've been talking specifically about Apple's stupid and confusing iPad lineup, and why I think they're wrong when it comes to storage sizes. The reason Microsoft is up is because Wall Street likes the direction they're going with respect to mobile and cloud. Yeah we know Apple makes more money than anyone under the sun. But they shouldn't get fat and happy and like Jony Ive says, making money should be the consequence of making great products not the main goal. At one point companies like Blackberry and Nokia were making all the money in mobile and look where they are now.
  • Reply 102 of 105
    Apple makes 90% of tablet profits and sells more tablets than anyone else. I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing. And by the way iPad is mobile. The only one confused about the iPad line up is you. Do you have any idea how much profit Apple would be sacrificing by making the base iPad 32 GB? Of course you dont because you are living in a dream world. You probably think the iPhone6 should be $400 of contract also. Again let the professionals worry about prices. If you cant afford it just go buy an Android. Hundreds of millions of people are willing to pay Apple prices.

Blackberry and Nokia have never made even close to $40,000,000,000 in profits Apple makes a year. Stop comparing those companies to Apple. The reason Microsoft is up is because of windows, office, and cloud services. It has nothing to do with tablet or phone sales.

There you go focusing 100% on profit again. Last quarter Apple's profit was over $8B. FY 2014 profits were close to $40B. Nobody, outside of Exxon Mobile reports profits like that. Yet Microsoft and Google spend more on R&D as a percentage of revenue than Apple does. Making the base storage 32GB or offering the iPad mini with the same specs as the Air (like they did in 2013) is not going to break the bank, it's not going to keep Apple from being able to being able to invest in R&D, manufacturing and talent. What it would do is show Apple is about making the best products, not obsessed with upselling and profit margins. Mini 3 with A8 chip, Air like screen and Touch ID would be best in class and I would have ordered my mother one for Christmas. Alas Apple didn't offer that so they didn't get a sale from me. But in your world as long as profit margins are high who cares what sales are, right?
  • Reply 103 of 105
    Without profits there is no room for R&D

Googles and Microsofts profit margins are higher than Apple so you have no leg to stand on.

I've never said Apple should make profit far from it. Your quarterly profit is between $7 and $8 billion. The cash flow they generate is enormous. I doubt they're having problems finding money to spend on R&D. I mean Microsoft and Google generate less revenue and cash flow than Apple but still spend more on R&D. They both spend around 13% of revenue where is Apple spends around 3.2%.

As far as profit margins go, last quarter Microsoft's was 19.75% and Google's was 17% and Apple's was 20%. So no Microsoft and Google don't always have higher profit margins than Apple.

I think Apple absolutely could sell an iPad mini with Touch ID A8 and Air like screen with a $399 starting point. That would be a best in class product. That would follow Jony Ive's mantra of products first products second.
  • Reply 104 of 105
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

I agree essentially with pretty much everything you are saying, but I don't think the fact that bb is up 50% is a fluke. I am convinced bb is making an fair run for it to carve out their own niche and maintain it. And it think they are worth it: I like and admire a lot of the engineering they 've put behind their products, their sense of balance and taste, their core home grown software assets that actually bring something worthwhile to the table, and their core hardware (or I should say systems) efforts. BB is the dark horse here.

As far as MSFT goes, if the shit design of the band is anything to go by, hard working engineers are once again getting effed by management and design. Same shit, different day, different decade, different millennium. Every side runner on the globe has designed a fitness band that's half decent looking... but they have to come up with one that looks like you are under house arrest, and by all accounts, feels as uncomfortable when you wear it too.

Maybe by 2017 they 'll hire a lead designer that can shine Jony Ive's shoes... that will be exactly 20 years after Steve made Jony SVP of design, and it will be about fucking time too for them... or not, maybe they might still prefer to keep their heads safely and securely within their behinds, instead, and be in denial of their perennial and desperate need to have someone unite form and function for them into a successful whole. Or they will just assume their rightfully deserved place as a slightly above average iOS development house. 

Their only saving grace has been that g-string is co-run by the most inept Fortune CEO of the year on the globe, who likes to pat himself on the back thinking that the moronic google goggles were the solution to mankind's problems, and the other guy with the portable photocopier who's under the impression that people enjoy being spied on by him, and if you don't want to be spied on by Schmidt "you shouldn't be doing it in the first place". These two guys put together, are of course squarely on an equal footing with the other colossus of management, strategy and marketing Steve Balmer. And all three of them put together can't make a scale balance vs. Tim Cook. 

And Apple's just getting started...