Apple releases iOS 8.1.1 with performance improvements for iPad 2 & iPhone 4s, plus bug fixes

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I also have had a few reboots on the Air 2. Most (maybe all) were using a 3rd party app, the moment I touched the screen to make a selection. My guess is something to do with the A8X compatibility as it's the only non dual core device running iOS with it's awesome tri-core chipset. 

I was asking Rogifan about these crashes / reboots yesterday. I have never seen an iPad or an iPhone reboot on its own. Nothing made for iOS should get passed validation for the App store that is not 100% compliant. Unless these are apps not from the app store?
  • Reply 42 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

You have a later model one, perhaps? The second revision of most devices usually is a bit better, as the CPU is on a smaller process node and doesn't throttle as much.

Have to admit I can't remember when I got the iPad2 and also can't figure out from any settings page what the manufacture date might be.  Model # is MC775LL/A if that provides a clue.

While I'm at it - also updated my 13 inch MBA, mid 2013, to 10.10.1 and again no problems but then I didn't have any problems with that before the update either.  WiFi was always rock solid and I trust it will be so now.

• Reply 43 of 80
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Hallelujah!

Haven't downloaded yet.

WARNING: I sorely recommend everyone to wait until Friday before installing this update.

If anyone is brave or foolish enough to install it before, they might like to let us know whether it fixes the reboot fiasco.

Why such a long wait? If there is any issues, fandroids will be all over it pretty quickly. I just wait a couple hours. If nothing, I'm good to go.
  • Reply 44 of 80
    I still have not been able to connect my blue tooth on my iPhone 5 since I updated to iOS 8.0 is apple aware of this problem
  • Reply 45 of 80
    Finished updating my iPad Mini 2 and iPhone 5S via iTunes to 8.1.1 just now, updates were done in less than 15 minutes on both, went without a hitch, and now both devices running smoothly on 8.1.1.

Only issue I saw was when the iPhone restarted after installing iOS, iTunes complained it couldn't reconnect because of a missing Session ID. After the phone finished rebooting, I unplugged, and plugged it back in, and everything was fine.
  • Reply 46 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluestone View Post

Have to admit I can't remember when I got the iPad2 and also can't figure out from any settings page what the manufacture date might be.  Model # is MC775LL/A if that provides a clue.

While I'm at it - also updated my 13 inch MBA, mid 2013, to 10.10.1 and again no problems but then I didn't have any problems with that before the update either.  WiFi was always rock solid and I trust it will be so now.

That's a first year model, should have the original SOC. 64GB black 3G model, right?

• Reply 47 of 80
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Will be nice if it fixes the battery drain on my iPhone 5 as well. I got less than two hours total from 100% down to about 40% and then shutting off completely. Two hours consisted of about forty minutes talk time, ten minutes of music playback, and about twenty minutes of GPS. Ridiculous. 

I don't think this is an iOS issue. I had the same problem on my phone and they replaced that battery. There is a recall page for this. Just enter your s/n and they'll tell you.

• Reply 48 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

That's a first year model, should have the original SOC. 64GB black 3G model, right?

Yeo, that's it.  I have a freebie 200 MB/month T-mobile account for cellular which I hardly ever use.

I'll say again - that iPad2 has performed beautifully over the years.  However, I couldn't resist the new iPad Air 2 and got one of those now too.  The Air is significantly faster, not to mention much lighter, and also a joy to use.  If  it lasts as well as my trusty iPad2, which I fully expect, it will be maybe three years before I get my next iPad.

• Reply 49 of 80

hmmm... my iPad 2 crashed during the 8.1.1 install....

I had to restore the iPad 2 to Factory Settings.

Now restoring the iPad 2 from a backup. Maybe by tomorrow I'll know if it worked.

• Reply 50 of 80

I was just pushed this update.

GUESS I SHOULDN'T UPDATE, THOUGH.

• Reply 51 of 80

I updated my iPad Air and iPhone 6. My iPad Air has already rebooted on its own, so this issue was not addressed. The only major issue I had with the iPhone 6 was freezing while recording video. So far that hasn't happened yet. 

• Reply 52 of 80
    rogifan wrote: »
    WTF is this Apple?

4h2gr7.jpg

It's called a share sheet… And it's been in Safari for quite some time.

I still have an iPad 2 that is running iOS 6 and it has it.

Although it is on the other side(left) of the address bar.
  • Reply 53 of 80
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

I hope this fixes the issue with Vladimir Putin.

He's been acting like a real dickhead since the last update.

• Reply 54 of 80
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So you don't have that issue when the keyboard is on screen and you click on the share sheet icon? I only encounter the issue when the keyboard is present.

Confirmed as an issue able to be replicated.

Have you submitted a bug report to Apple yet?

• Reply 55 of 80
    Forget the update. With my iPad2 and IOS 7 I could reach practically evert WiFi network in a range of 100 meters. Now with IOS 8.1 (wish I never updated) I only have a range of 10 meters. The WiFi transmitter at groundlevel (7 meters down) doesn't even show up any more. Speed is down and the connection is lost frequently. The IOS 8.1.1 update hasn't changed anything in this respect.
    I hope that Apple will improve this as soon as possible or allow a downgrade to IOS 7.
  • Reply 56 of 80
    What's with the reboot issue?
    I received a replacement iphone 5 around the same time ios 8 was released. Since then, every now and then during phone calls only my phone shows shutdown and reboot screen. Funny things us the connection of the call just takes a break and then the call continues like nothing happened.
    Is this what you are referring to?

Other than that my main issues are around text selection and the inability to delete music from the phone using swipe gesture.
  • Reply 57 of 80
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty1971 View Post

I still have not been able to connect my blue tooth on my iPhone 5 since I updated to iOS 8.0 is apple aware of this problem

Problem may be the device you are trying to connect to. If it hasn't been updated to work with iOS 8, then it may not work. Just because it worked in the past, does not mean it will work with each iOS iteration.

• Reply 58 of 80
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    65 MB so everyone should be able to "fit" that one in....
  • Reply 59 of 80
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I hope this fixes text selection, copy/paste and that annoying bug where the keyboard freezes and Safari crashes.

I have this annoying issue where touch scrolling on my iPhone 6 will select text inadvertently, then won't let me unselect it.

• Reply 60 of 80
    gtr wrote: »
    I hope this fixes the issue with Vladimir Putin.

He's been acting like a real dickhead since the last update.
    I think it'll take more than a minor point release to patch that a-hole of a bug up...