WatchKit tools reveal Apple Watch screen resolutions, Dynamic Type support, more

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moreck View Post

I love it when people with limited vocabularies bristle at those of us that enjoy/ are proficient with language. Perhaps you should try using an online dictionary or thesaurus once in a while.

A few years back I commented here on someone using dispassionate incorrectly to describe reviews of something where “unenthusiastic” or “tepid” would have been appropriate. I had all sorts of people jump on me, even quoting the dictionary without bothering to read what they quoted (which demonstrated that I was correct in telling them that dispassionate would mean that the review was unbiased by emotion).

• Reply 62 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Here are some first impressions from a developer.

http://david-smith.org/blog/2014/11/18/initial-impressions-for-watchkit/

Thanks for sharing that. It's good to hear from someone that knows the nuts and bolts.

Sir Jony was quite explicit about this being a "compelling beginning" for wearables. It will be interesting to see where it all leads. Think what cell phones did since the creation of iPhone.

I can think of a few apps I would really like for my Apple Watch. A cycling app to give me taptic route directions (tap fast, go right. tap slowly, go left or something.) IFTTT will give some cool interoperability I'm sure. I'd really like to use Apple Watch to get me through these card reader doors at work. iBeacons in stores for sale items I'm near (and yes, boy will *that* need some controls...) I expect a lot of this in due course.

As to battery life, betcha a third party will make a small mag-safe battery back to carry in case of emergencies. The SDK looks like it is very battery conscious. And of course, how long will it be before a BT4.0 companion that isn't an iPhone comes along? Maybe that's the future for the iPhone "mini?" All cool to contemplate.

FWIW from another thread, I saw a FitBit ad on TV last night. It was a good ad! I'm not buying a FitBit, but it did showcase their product pretty well, unlike the terrible surface ads. I can see someone wanting a fitibit. 

• Reply 63 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Thompson admitted it took him a bit to get the Watch, he's bullish on it now.

He's a troll.

Just because I have a different opinion about the Apple Watch? Grow up, please; I have converted more than 25 people to Apple devices over the last five years, and have only used Apple products in my household since 1995.

That doesn't mean I have to like everything they launch - I am a Mac guy, and couldn't care a bit whether or not we have a new "wearable" fad by Apple; likewise for their absolutely idiotic "Beats by Dre" acquisition. 

• Reply 64 of 73
    If Apple manages to get a glucose meter on the back of that watch, Katy bar the door!

I wonder how far along that is.
  • Reply 65 of 73
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

It's interestingly very very similar to Roboto Google uses. 

Originally Posted by malax View Post

And I would bet any amount of money against the notion that Apple copied Roboto.

It’s the Helvetica Arial argument all over again!

• Reply 66 of 73
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

Yeah but Beats by Dre can do wonders for sonics in macs when they get to working with Joni's team closely. And god knows the iMac needs a sonic rethink. The rest of the line up is fine. But when you get two guys in that really know sound, it's a great asset. I think Tim made a really solid forward looking move, the full effects of which we are going to be seeing within the next couple of years. Hopefully we 'll all be healthy to be around by that time.

Maybe it's a pipe dream, but I also envision a rebirth of dedicated music player, or something akin to that, like an iPod touch boosted up sonic wise, and I also had an epiphany that a physical as well as a digital format is on the works. I am sure apple will take their time to get all that absolutely right, and play a lot with ideas and options before any of that sees the light of day, as they should.  

• Reply 67 of 73
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    I wish we'd stop using PPI to measure a Retina display. The normal viewing distance is a key factor making pixel density irrelevant so why isn't it PPD; pixels per degree?
  • Reply 68 of 73
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,130member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by palomine View Post

If Apple manages to get a glucose meter on the back of that watch, Katy bar the door!

I wonder how far along that is.

Can blood glucose be measured without a needle stick? If so, I would expect a third party sensor with BT4.0 in it. And that manufacturer to handle not only the regulatory filings, but to produce a (licensed?) Apple Watch band to place the sensor on the other side of the wrist.

As an aside, I know there is an active, lucrative market for those test strips.

• Reply 69 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

It's so annoying to have somebody piss all over something they've never even used.

Andy's been doom & gloom about Apple products for awhile.  He & Rene represent two extremes with Alex the only level-headed one of the bunch.

• Reply 70 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SHSF View Post

Impressive side burns, it has to be said. :smokey:

Not as impressive as Jim's beard.

• Reply 71 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

Not as impressive as Jim's beard.

You can only be referring to "The Beard", aka Jim Dalrymple. I remember him back when he was still beardless!

• Reply 72 of 73
    Yosemite uses Helvetica Neue, just like iOS. Slightly different weighting, I believe, but the same type.

Previously, OS X used Lucida Grande.

It's always been Helvetica, going back to NeXTSTEP.